Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the vinyl tubing last night, and on the drive to work this morning, I think I can tell a difference. There is still some pressure, and I had the urge to pop my ears, but (this will sound bizarre) it was really only in one ear. And it never got painful in that ear, so I think it was less overall. So I am cautiously optimistic. The drive home is usually worse, so we will see.

The install itself was very easy. I picked up 5/16 tubing and silicone spray from Home Depot, and it snaked right through. I ended up doing two pieces that met perfectly at the latch. The motor seems to try a bit harder to close it now, and there is more of a pop when opening, but nothing drastic. I checked all the rubber stops and they all still rip a piece of paper with no further adjustment. So perhaps I could have gone with larger tubing. I will likely try the rigid stops this weekend.

Thank you much to everyone on this thread trying to find solutions. It is devastating to think that something as crazy and unexpected as this might actually make me sell my brand new car that I waited months to get! I have some hope now though.

I installed the vinyl tubing last night, and on the drive to work this morning, I think I can tell a difference. There is still some pressure, and I had the urge to pop my ears, but (this will sound bizarre) it was really only in one ear. And it never got painful in that ear, so I think it was less overall. So I am cautiously optimistic. The drive home is usually worse, so we will see.

The install itself was very easy. I picked up 5/16 tubing and silicone spray from Home Depot, and it snaked right through. I ended up doing two pieces that met perfectly at the latch. The motor seems to try a bit harder to close it now, and there is more of a pop when opening, but nothing drastic. I checked all the rubber stops and they all still rip a piece of paper with no further adjustment. So perhaps I could have gone with larger tubing. I will likely try the rigid stops this weekend.

Thank you much to everyone on this thread trying to find solutions. It is devastating to think that something as crazy and unexpected as this might actually make me sell my brand new car that I waited months to get! I have some hope now though.

Well that's good to hear (no pun intended) you think there is some improvement. If you have the patience, I would still suggest going to 3/8" tubing before doing the rigid hatch stops. If you go through the effort of making them, and still find it's not good enough, you'd have to take 2 steps back if you still want to try to rectify it.

Just my 2 cents!

That's unusual that one of the stops is all the way in...that doesn't sound normal to me. When those rubber stoppers are all the way in you'd almost never have contact and the panel gap would be very minimal. Both of which don't sound possible with tubing installed.

Mind taking a few pictures?
So I went back this morning and for the side hatch stops I screwed them all the way in on both sides and that’s creating an extremely tight seal on the envelope test. For the top hat stops I have to screw them a little bit out an order for me to create a very tight seal on the envelope.

Driving around I feel like it is a little bit better but it’s not resolved for sure. I may go back to Home Depot today and get the 3/8 vinyl tubing and try that

So I went back this morning and for the side hatch stops I screwed them all the way in on both sides and that’s creating an extremely tight seal on the envelope test. For the top hat stops I have to screw them a little bit out an order for me to create a very tight seal on the envelope.

Driving around I feel like it is a little bit better but it’s not resolved for sure. I may go back to Home Depot today and get the 3/8 vinyl tubing and try that

Side hatch stops you screwed IN (retract)? Not OUT (extend)?

After installing tubing usually you have to extend the side stoppers to make contact.

(That's roughly the position of mine, it's not fully in- also of course make sure that the plastic nut is touching the body panel)

Attachments

• 20220825_122630.jpg
    20220825_122630.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 144
Side hatch stops you screwed IN (retract)? Not OUT (extend)?

After installing tubing usually you have to extend the side stoppers to make contact.

(That's roughly the position of mine, it's not fully in- also of course make sure that the plastic nut is touching the body panel)
Here are pictures of my hatch stops.

Attachments

• 94EA1514-2AB3-4F19-89AD-0FD1F0AE2367.jpeg
    94EA1514-2AB3-4F19-89AD-0FD1F0AE2367.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 8965F087-A2A0-48E6-9758-610D3A2E6CA4.jpeg
    8965F087-A2A0-48E6-9758-610D3A2E6CA4.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 6B410BE8-F177-46F1-805B-70086F1796D3.jpeg
    6B410BE8-F177-46F1-805B-70086F1796D3.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 8D7ED252-46EF-4BC1-889F-174824F7048C.jpeg
    8D7ED252-46EF-4BC1-889F-174824F7048C.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 107
Here are pictures of my hatch stops.
That looks way over extended especially the middle ones.

Keep in mind when adjusting them you should retract them almost all the way. Then start extending one of the side hatch stops first until it grips paper. Then make the other side match. Then go back to the first side and ensure it's still gripping paper.

Then finally adjust the middle stops (they are less important).

Keep in mind when adjusting them you should retract them almost all the way. Then start extending one of the side hatch stops first until it grips paper. Then make the other side match. Then go back to the first side and ensure it's still gripping paper.

I followed your advice and retracted them all the way and then pulled the rubber out while maintaining the nut close to the panel. Here is where I ended up

Attachments

• 1B78BF70-D3F0-4527-A5DD-C98EF4EAD19A.jpeg
    1B78BF70-D3F0-4527-A5DD-C98EF4EAD19A.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 112
  • 403A8B8F-E5B0-477F-9A7D-B2829CE2E88C.jpeg
    403A8B8F-E5B0-477F-9A7D-B2829CE2E88C.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 110

My center stops are similarly extended (and were before the tubing). They do just seem wobbly at that length. When I first picked up the car, they weren’t even touching the lower contact points.

It makes me a little hesitant to make an even larger gap with bigger tubing, but I’ll probably try 3/8 this weekend just to see.

My center stops are similarly extended (and were before the tubing). They do just seem wobbly at that length. When I first picked up the car, they weren’t even touching the lower contact points.

It makes me a little hesitant to make an even larger gap with bigger tubing, but I’ll probably try 3/8 this weekend just to see.
I agree I’m wondering now if it makes sense to even go to 3/8 tubing from the 5/16 I have in there now.

Question for the discussion: When we say "center" are these the stops near the bumper? And "side" are the stops mid-way from the bumper to the hinge? Seems dumb, but there is no such thing as a stupid question...until I ask it. ;-)

I'm referring to side and center if considering the stops along a horizontal plane. So yes your assumption is correct.

Again the goal is to have the stops stick out as MINIMAL as possible while able to grip paper tightly...I think I'm conveying that...but just want to make sure.

It still seems unusual to me that you both have them extended so much....but if that's where you ended up after calibrating them then I would probably not continue to 3/8" as well.

Reactions: JonB65
im just so disappointed in Tesla and the fact that I have to do and go through this to get a 70k car to not make me dizzy. I drove a Buick Enclave over the weekend and it felt so premium and quiet compared to my 22 MYP. I really want to love my Tesla but they are making it so hard. Im at a loss

Unfortunately I am still dealing with it too. I bumped to 3/8” tubing and couldn’t tell any difference. I also tried rigid stops last night, and my first attempt is not perfect, but I think it may have actually made it worse. I have such a huge panel gap now that I don’t see how it could get any more rigid.

At this point all I can think to do is experiment with various things like driving with the hatch open, ear plugs, etc, just to see if I can find any relief at all. I am dreading the thought of having to get rid of this car, but there is no way I can live like this. I am still in disbelief.

I downloaded some sort of db meter/frequency analysis app for my iPhone, if I were to post some readings would someone be willing to take a look? I think I read something previously about frequency weighting, should I do A or B?

Reactions: atlchamp
Unfortunately I am still dealing with it too. I bumped to 3/8” tubing and couldn’t tell any difference. I also tried rigid stops last night, and my first attempt is not perfect, but I think it may have actually made it worse. I have such a huge panel gap now that I don’t see how it could get any more rigid.

At this point all I can think to do is experiment with various things like driving with the hatch open, ear plugs, etc, just to see if I can find any relief at all. I am dreading the thought of having to get rid of this car, but there is no way I can live like this. I am still in disbelief.

I downloaded some sort of db meter/frequency analysis app for my iPhone, if I were to post some readings would someone be willing to take a look? I think I read something previously about frequency weighting, should I do A or B?
It’s incredibly frustrating and I’m on the verge of trading in a car that I bought two months ago for the same issue

dB-A weighted is what you want. B is probably not good enough. C is not applicable at all in this case.

Given that your hatch stops seemed....somehow over extended to me despite your hard efforts at adjusting them, I recommend removing the tubing and making a service appointment with Tesla at this point complaining about this issue.

You're armed with enough information at this point to accurately describe the problem.

I think Tesla service will have to have a go at calibrating your hatch. And you can run your phone app on the test drive with them or around the shop first. And then immediately after the service to see if there was any change.

Next, because I presume you'll still "hear" it even after the service appointment. Check the folded paper against the hatch stops. Do they grip the paper? Hopefully they do. Use their adjustment as the guide if you decide to try inserting tubing again. Making only minor adjustments at a time until there is contact. Alternatively proceed right to rigid hatch stops and see how that performs with Tesla service calibrating your hatch.

Reactions: mightaswell