Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having the same issue. My wife and I felt wind buffeting. I adjusted the hatch feet and the buffeting went away but we still occasionally feal the ear pain. I can't narrow down when it occurs and when it doesn't. Very frustrating.
I agree. It seems that it does come and go. It makes me wonder if its tied to pack cooling which may fluctuate based on trip distance weather etc. My brother is going to borrow
Just to follow up, I'd like the check the outflow valves, but I can't figure out how to get to them. I watched the video where somebody routes a wire through them for a hitch, but I still don't know how to get to them. Is it at the bottom of the wells in the back? Or on the side?

I watched the hitch install video and thought of doing this but its a lot of steps. It doesn't look like in thAt video the valves are much of a valve and are more just flaps. One consideration is I did have tesla install hitch after delivery. I wonder if that could be related but doubt it given the problem occurs without even driving.

If you believe the ear pain is sound related, have you considered using a sound level meter with an octave band analyzer?

It could help pinpoint noise level changes and the associated octave band.

They’re fairly expensive to purchase ($4k), but they can be rented at a much more reasonable rate.

I've been following this thread pretty closely. I have Meniere's Disease, an inner ear disorder that can cause severe, unexpected episodes of vertigo (usually at the most inconvenient times). Mine is a pretty mild case and I control it by watching salt intake and drinking a ton of water. @justobuf you mentioned in an earlier post that you were having the pain issue when you were just sitting in the car in your garage. Is that still the case or have you determined that it's really only when you're driving? I didn't have any issue when I test drove a MY, so hopefully I'm good.

I've been following this thread pretty closely. I have Meniere's Disease, an inner ear disorder that can cause severe, unexpected episodes of vertigo (usually at the most inconvenient times). Mine is a pretty mild case and I control it by watching salt intake and drinking a ton of water. @justobuf you mentioned in an earlier post that you were having the pain issue when you were just sitting in the car in your garage. Is that still the case or have you determined that it's really only when you're driving? I didn't have any issue when I test drove a MY, so hopefully I'm good.

I have now on multiple occasions had the symptoms in the garage with car parked. Sunday I had the symptoms in my kitchen and walked out to garage to find ac running which was on other side of wall. My wife and sister came out and said they felt like the walked through a wall of pressure and gave my sister a headache. My brother came over yesterday with a special stethoscope. He also had symptoms and said he felt nauseous. I noticed for first time a very high pitch sound that I recorded and is below. It was making the noise with ac off. My understanding is the octovalve circulates coolant to battery even while parked. It sounded like the noise was coming from the circulating pump and my brother thinks its probably a bad bearing. Interesting thing is I recorded the day before with ac on, off, heat on, etc and didn't hear the high pitch then. I just got an appointment 3 weeks out(killing me on these) to have service center use their high tech equipment to record and send to engineering. Hoping this is the issue. Be careful with the clip volume below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hyPheFoXSfZueWWM6

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
If you believe the ear pain is sound related, have you considered using a sound level meter with an octave band analyzer?

It could help pinpoint noise level changes and the associated octave band.

They’re fairly expensive to purchase ($4k), but they can be rented at a much more reasonable rate.
You can download simple apps that do an adequate job of this, look up 'sound spectrum analyzer'

Reactions: Brandon#
I have now on multiple occasions had the symptoms in the garage with car parked. Sunday I had the symptoms in my kitchen and walked out to garage to find ac running which was on other side of wall. My wife and sister came out and said they felt like the walked through a wall of pressure and gave my sister a headache. My brother came over yesterday with a special stethoscope. He also had symptoms and said he felt nauseous. I noticed for first time a very high pitch sound that I recorded and is below. It was making the noise with ac off. My understanding is the octovalve circulates coolant to battery even while parked. It sounded like the noise was coming from the circulating pump and my brother thinks its probably a bad bearing. Interesting thing is I recorded the day before with ac on, off, heat on, etc and didn't hear the high pitch then. I just got an appointment 3 weeks out(killing me on these) to have service center use their high tech equipment to record and send to engineering. Hoping this is the issue. Be careful with the clip volume below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hyPheFoXSfZueWWM6
I didn't hear anything high-pitched, guess I'm lucky!

Yikes... Talk about high frequencies. Is your camera/phone compressing the highs and making them louder or is that an accurate representation of real life?

It's like when movies mimic tinnitus after a blast.
The video is pretty accurate to what we heard maybe just a little higher. I can't listen to the video it hurts. I am wondering if it has gotten worse and changed to a frequency I could hear because in a recording I did the day before I couldn't hear it but my ear went from uncomfortable to hurting.

• Informative
Absolutely terrible.

See that line at 10 khz? That's the nasty sine tone.
There's another one at 20 khz which is tormenting all of the dogs in your neighborhood.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.01.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.01.54 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 399
  • Informative
I can hear that high pitch frequency whine. Many years ago, when I was young, my parents had an old portable induction cooktop. Everything it fired up, a high pitch frequency would come out. My parents say they couldn't hear it but my sister and I could. The high pitch frequency was annoying but tolerable.

I wasn't the OP but I was having a similar problem. I was convinced that it was due to pressure, so I just bought a barometer. The pressure outside was 1014.5 mBar. When I got in and drove, it dropped down to 1013.5 mBars or so. It doesn't seem like the problem is the pressure, but I will definitely take more measurements. I'm thinking now it might be a sound from the AC.

Just to follow up, I'd like the check the outflow valves, but I can't figure out how to get to them. I watched the video where somebody routes a wire through them for a hitch, but I still don't know how to get to them. Is it at the bottom of the wells in the back? Or on the side?

I was going to suggest this. They are in the same location (behind the rear wheels) on the model S. You access them by removing the interior trim panels. Look for videos on that. When I opened my trim panels on my Model S I discovered the vents on both sides were obstructed by pieces of foam that had come loose from the trim panels. Check it out...

also, these people rent good sound level meters by the day. Rental & Used Equipment - Sound & Vibration Instrumentation | Scantek Inc.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest this. They are in the same location (behind the rear wheels) on the model S. You access them by removing the interior trim panels. Look for videos on that. When I opened my trim panels on my Model S I discovered the vents on both sides were obstructed by pieces of foam that had come loose from the trim panels. Check it out...

also, these people rent good sound level meters by the day. Rental & Used Equipment - Sound & Vibration Instrumentation | Scantek Inc.

Sounds promissing. but I googled and couldn't find any good links. Anybody got a good link?

I'm not the OP, but I am having the same issue. I took it into the Orlando SC. They didn't feel the ear pain at all. They checked the outflow valves and said they were fine.

The problem is actually worse now that it is back from the SC. I just don't know what to do.

I'm not the OP, but I am having the same issue. I took it into the Orlando SC. They didn't feel the ear pain at all. They checked the outflow valves and said they were fine.

The problem is actually worse now that it is back from the SC. I just don't know what to do.
Mine has been at SC for 5 days now in Charlotte. They gave an update today that they have not been able to recreate issue. I gave a deadline of tomorrow to tell me exactly what they are doing and I want to escalate because this is really not just a minor issue. I feel like *sugar* after driving for 30 minutes most of the time. Didnt have the problem in either of my 3s or S.

Mine has been at SC for 5 days now in Charlotte. They gave an update today that they have not been able to recreate issue. I gave a deadline of tomorrow to tell me exactly what they are doing and I want to escalate because this is really not just a minor issue. I feel like *sugar* after driving for 30 minutes most of the time. Didnt have the problem in either of my 3s or S.

Thanks for the update OP. I'm in the same boat. The SC doesn't feel the ear pressure, so they can't fix it. Please let me know what happens.

In my Y, there is no real sound associated with it. I just feel ear pressure/pain, like being in an air plane. I do feel and hear every little bump, kind of like polyphonic54 was describing. When I had an S as a loaner, I also felt and heard every little bump, but never the ear pressure.

I desperately want to do something to measure it so they can fix it. I bought a barometer but that doesn't show any pressure increase.

Reactions: PearlShark