Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea maybe but every poll on this has over 50% that have stated they have the same issue, that’s not a good run rate
But that's a poll of people who are already drawn to a thread/poll asking about ear pain, most owners would not find it or be interested.... If you're using that result to say "50% of owners have ear pain", there's a gigantic flaw in your logic.

Next week my MYLR from Berlin goes to a SeC for this same issue. The trunk is a bit out of position, as the right side has a bigger gap than left. Tried adjusting the stops, enveloppe test was already 'perfect' so hope SeC can do anything about it. Kind of regret my purchase now for an otherwise amazing car.

Next week my MYLR from Berlin goes to a SeC for this same issue. The trunk is a bit out of position, as the right side has a bigger gap than left. Tried adjusting the stops, enveloppe test was already 'perfect' so hope SeC can do anything about it. Kind of regret my purchase now for an otherwise amazing car.
Good luck. My 2022 model y performance had same trunk gaps. My trunk rattled like a drum when going over bumps. I also felt like my head had pressure on it when driving on flat surface. Tesla sent my car to an approved body shop to fix trunk. Car came back with no gaps and head pressure sensation vanished too.

My car still makes loud low frequency sounds when going over sudden bumps or rough old road materials. That is part of the cars qualities & enhanced a tad by my 21” wheels with low profile tire. Most roads near me don’t use rougher materials or have been replaced. Not big issue for me.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Against my gut I decided to take delivery of my 23 YLR, the first 100km after delivery were fine, maybe because I was more focused on learning the car but the last 250km have been boomy hell.

I stupidly second guessed myself with the thought, so many people take delivery of the MY and don’t report issues, maybe I’ll be one of those people, but alas I am back

I get headaches from the resonance and begged Tesla to take the vehicle back to which they said no, but set me up with a tech for a test drive. He confirmed he could hear it and stated it’s normal for the vehicle and due to the manufacturing and different components compared to an ICE. What I did find is it’s more noticeable from the driver seat compared to the passenger seat, and I have no idea why.

The tech and even the Tesla app now stated that noises are no longer warranty items and are billable for any investigation and resolution if there is a resolution

I’m at a cross road of selling it or trading cars with my wife as she said it doesn’t bother her, but she’s also in the learning process of the Tesla so that attitude could change

Against my gut I decided to take delivery of my 23 YLR, the first 100km after delivery were fine, maybe because I was more focused on learning the car but the last 250km have been boomy hell.

I stupidly second guessed myself with the thought, so many people take delivery of the MY and don’t report issues, maybe I’ll be one of those people, but alas I am back

I get headaches from the resonance and begged Tesla to take the vehicle back to which they said no, but set me up with a tech for a test drive. He confirmed he could hear it and stated it’s normal for the vehicle and due to the manufacturing and different components compared to an ICE. What I did find is it’s more noticeable from the driver seat compared to the passenger seat, and I have no idea why.

The tech and even the Tesla app now stated that noises are no longer warranty items and are billable for any investigation and resolution if there is a resolution

I’m at a cross road of selling it or trading cars with my wife as she said it doesn’t bother her, but she’s also in the learning process of the Tesla so that attitude could change
Try another service center. I never heard of noises being billable. that is ridiculous. what is the point of having a new car warranty? You will take a hit if you try to sell it.

I never heard of noises being billable. that is ridiculous. what is the point of having a new car warranty?
They are probably referring to this exclusion in the warranty:

1683810796177.png

sounds Like you live in an area with roads that have tons of cracks filled in hastily with some filler like tar rather than repaved smoothly or there are many sudden bumpy irregularities in the road surfaces. That would cause low frequency booms especially in a car with a cave like trunk area & a suspension which is not particularly soft/bouncy. My pals Jeep brand suv has similar booming sounds in those situations. tesla is correct that this is a characteristic of the car. I disagree with the SC saying it was due to how EVs are made as the mustang mach-e GT didnt have low frequency booms when i drove it. However the Mach-e GT suspension
Did feel like a bouncy boat. 🤮

road noise, a constant low rumble, is a different phenomenon than low frequency booming And Is caused mostly by type of road surfacing, rougher vs smoother. Rougher makes more road noise transmit to cabin.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet

At least give some of the available fixes here a try. Rigid hatch stops + vinyl tubing works for quite a lot of people. I know it's not ideal to have to "fix" a brand new car, but at least for me and many others here, making these changes resulted in a different driving experience.

Reactions: JonB65
sounds Like you live in an area with roads that have tons of cracks filled in hastily with some filler like tar rather than repaved smoothly or there are many sudden bumpy irregularities in the road surfaces. That would cause low frequency booms especially in a car with a cave like trunk area & a suspension which is not particularly soft/bouncy. My pals Jeep brand suv has similar booming sounds in those situations. tesla is correct that this is a characteristic of the car. I disagree with the SC saying it was due to how EVs are made as the mustang mach-e GT didnt have low frequency booms when i drove it. However the Mach-e GT suspension
Did feel like a bouncy boat. 🤮

road noise, a constant low rumble, is a different phenomenon than low frequency booming And Is caused mostly by type of road surfacing, rougher vs smoother. Rougher makes more road noise transmit to cabin.

Definitely, I live in a winter climate so the roads here are a constant battle of new and torn to *sugar* cause of the seasons. I can for sure tell the difference between road noise and booming, the road noise is annoying but fine, the booming like I’ve mentioned is like a drum next to my head, still strange that it’s more present in the driver seat compared to passenger. I traded cars with my wife today, she has a Mercedes and the different in noise is incredible

At least give some of the available fixes here a try. Rigid hatch stops + vinyl tubing works for quite a lot of people. I know it's not ideal to have to "fix" a brand new car, but at least for me and many others here, making these changes resulted in a different driving experience.

I tired the adjustments but found from the factory they were all the way in and the envelope was hard to pull out. I then stopped at Canadian tire but they didn’t have any of the vinyl tubing in your recommended size, where did you get yours? I also found a YouTube video where a guy put some material in his M3 but the link is in German so I can’t tell what it is nor have I tried translating the website yet

Definitely, I live in a winter climate so the roads here are a constant battle of new and torn to *sugar* cause of the seasons. I can for sure tell the difference between road noise and booming, the road noise is annoying but fine, the booming like I’ve mentioned is like a drum next to my head, still strange that it’s more present in the driver seat compared to passenger. I traded cars with my wife today, she has a Mercedes and the different in noise is incredible

I tired the adjustments but found from the factory they were all the way in and the envelope was hard to pull out. I then stopped at Canadian tire but they didn’t have any of the vinyl tubing in your recommended size, where did you get yours? I also found a YouTube video where a guy put some material in his M3 but the link is in German so I can’t tell what it is nor have I tried translating the website yet

Since you're in Canada, and didn't find 5/16" OD at your local Canadian Tire...I could only find 3/8" OD at Home Depot in your area. I use 3/8" OD. It's a tighter fit, will require some slams shut of the hatch door after installation (and probably settling in place until it latches properly), but it probably does a better job

Or you could pay a bit of a premium from Amazon for 5/16" OD which is much easier to fish in, doesn't result in as large panel gaps, and still seems to work well for mostly everyone.

I now have the reverse problem. Boominess and ear pain has increased after adding vinyl tubing and adjusting hatch stops (I don’t have 3D printer) - I have tried adjusting the hatch stops quite a bit to see if it would go away .. or reduce …

I'm almost certain your hatch stops aren't calibrated properly. Because if they aren't adjusted properly, you'll still get booming whether or not you have tubing installed.

There really ought to be a stickied post or thread with everything in one go-to place.

Goal of calibrating hatch stops is: minimally extended as possible while still gripping paper.

Steps
1) Screw in all hatch stops all the way
2) Extend the ones on the tail lights equal amounts on both sides until it grips paper firmly that you can't pull it out.
3) Move to extending the other stoppers (which are easier) rotating the same amount each time, until they grip paper reasonably (it's hard to get them to grip paper super tightly), it's important you don't over-extend these thinking you expect it to hold paper really tightly.
4) Go back and check that the stoppers above the tail lights are still gripping paper tightly, make minor adjustments if needed.

* The plastic nut of the stoppers for the tail lights should be tight against the metal for proper contact.
** Be prepared you're going to have to open and close your door about 20 times lol