Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early M3P purchases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking as a buyer from August and October 2018, $80k was not the effective price for me due to the $7,500 rebate. Additionally, on one of the cars I chose to take in the $5,000 and give up the FUSC.

So, effectively …
(2 x ($80k - $7.5k) - $5k) / 2 = $70k / car (with only one of the two having FUSC)

Both are Red Multi-Coat with B&White interior, with FSD.

Configured today that comes in as $66,990 and, if ordered before December effectively $65,115.

So $4,885 cheaper without FUSC and lifetime internet that one of our two cars has. And Homelink that they both have. Etc.

With all due respect.

I wasn't quoting your price.

I was quoting my price vs. the price today.

The title to this thread is EARLY MP3 purchases. You can't get too much earlier than mine.

Lets compare price vs price and apples to apples...… not temporary price changes and incentives.

One other thing people are failing to realize is that it costs Tesla less today to make a Model 3 than it did in 2018. They now have more economies of scale, production efficiencies and have to offer less incentives to make a sale etc.

Not mention our cars were built with the latest and greatest equipment brand new, while the other P3D+ are built using equipment at least a year old :p:D

One other thing people are failing to realize is that it costs Tesla less today to make a Model 3 than it did in 2018. They now have more economies of scale, production efficiencies and have to offer less incentives to make a sale etc.

Not mention our cars were built with the latest and greatest equipment brand new, while the other P3D+ are built using equipment at least a year old :p:D

I really don't care how much Tesla makes per car as a consumer. I care as an investor though, however to stay on topic.....we are only talking about the consumer portion.

'

Simple.

P3D =$80k all buttons checked ( deposit in March 2016. )

What's the price on the same car today? $64,990 ( without the destination price ).

That's comparing apples to apples.

No trollin about that.
If you didn't request and receive the $5k refund that Tesla offered for us early buyers, that's on you. I bought mine fully optioned except for FSD (which I added when it was $2k early this year) for $78k + taxes in September 2018. I then got $7500 credited against my federal taxes, and then got $900 from the local utility company which offers an incentive. I did not qualify for the California $2500 rebate. Then Tesla refunded $5k. So I paid $78k minus $13.4k = $64.6k. Your number excludes the destination fee, which is $1200 now for a total of $66,190.

Tell me again how the car is cheaper now?

Lets compare price vs price and apples to apples...… not temporary price changes and incentives.

Let's say the government is offering a 90% rebate for Tesla's. It's contrived but completely accurate analogy intersecting S+D and PeD graphs.

A meteor hits GF1 and GF3.

Tesla is down to only producing 1000 cars per week.

Due to supply/demand Tesla is now charging $500,000 per Model 3.

Is the Model 3 price $500,000 or $50,000?

Going with your flawed logic, it would be $500,000.

There is no apples to apples pricing because the price of apples is determined by MARKET CONDITIONS AND PRICE DISTORTION AGENTS at a point in time.

Bonus Trivia:
The $35K Model 3 was ~ $42K value factoring in upgrades and inflation. (Yes, inflation is an actual thing that impacts buying power and reflects true costs).

Last edited:
Reactions: bijan
Who got $5k?

For free?

What did you trade for it?
I took delivery in July of 2018

Wait you didn't get $5K back and bought a P3D? Tesla offered Performance owners a $5K refund (+tax) in exchange for giving up our unlimited supercharging, most people took them up on that because it's a great deal.

Fred from Electrek complained and got Elon to agree to give back $5K and it was about that time that the Tesla community sorta turned on Fred and started calling him a short and other things lol

Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance [Updated: Elon Musk makes it right] - Electrek

Also, i kinda agree with others that you absolutely must include the federal tax credit when looking at vehicle MSRP as it's a huge factor. Sure you can ignore it and only look at the actual price they sell the car for, but i'm pretty sure 99% of US Tesla owners received that federal credit so it makes sense to include it - but i wouldn't include state rebates, for example.

Reactions: bhzmark
I got my P3D+ over a year ago. Gray, black interior, EAP + later FSD - the total was $72,500. Minus federal tax credit means buying this car lowered my bank account by $65,000.

I just priced out a new one with the same options (except the wheels are now gray instead of silver). The new price is...$64,990.

BTW, the take rate on the federal tax credit is not 99%. I seem to recall numbers in the 70% range. I didn't get a breakdown of how many didn't know or forgot to take it vs how many were not qualified to take it. I am retired and had forgotten about a loss carryover so I didn't qualify for anything for my wife's S in 2012.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kbecks13
Let's say the government is offering a 90% rebate for Tesla's. It's contrived but completely accurate analogy intersecting S+D and PeD graphs.

A meteor hits GF1 and GF3.

Tesla is down to only producing 1000 cars per week.

Due to supply/demand Tesla is now charging $500,000 per Model 3.

Is the Model 3 price $500,000 or $50,000?

Going with your flawed logic, it would be $500,000.

There is no apples to apples pricing because the price of apples is determined by MARKET CONDITIONS AND PRICE DISTORTION AGENTS at a point in time.

Bonus Trivia:
The $35K Model 3 was ~ $42K value factoring in upgrades and inflation. (Yes, inflation is an actual thing that impacts buying power and reflects true costs).

What is Tesla's price?

We are talking about the price of the car. Period. Not the NET price because there are a TON of different NET prices. We are talking about the selling price.

Question: Did the price of the P3D change when the government rebate changed? Answer = no.

The question is NOT "What is the net price" of the car or "How much you can afford".

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: focher
Who bought a Performance Model 3 and is feeling a little jaded? I pay way more then my monthly payment ever month and I’m still upside down 17k due to Tesla’s price reduction. And it wasn’t like it was years later it was months. The same car can now be bought for almost 20k less with FSD vs EAP when they launched the performance version. I think those who bought the M3P and even those who got their 5k back for the first reductions of price who gave their free supercharging back should get FSD for free. They want to charge me 4K to get it. That’s absolutely ridiculous considering they basically got that money from us “early” adopters. I can understand the early adopter mangalore when it’s measured in years. Not months.

Yeah! Stupid Tesla!. Making more, better and cheaper cars! Stupid company!

Last edited:
If you didn't request and receive the $5k refund that Tesla offered for us early buyers, that's on you. I bought mine fully optioned except for FSD (which I added when it was $2k early this year) for $78k + taxes in September 2018. I then got $7500 credited against my federal taxes, and then got $900 from the local utility company which offers an incentive. I did not qualify for the California $2500 rebate. Then Tesla refunded $5k. So I paid $78k minus $13.4k = $64.6k. Your number excludes the destination fee, which is $1200 now for a total of $66,190.

Tell me again how the car is cheaper now?

The $5k wasn't a refund. A refund is something that you get for nothing in exchange. Tesla bought FSD back from every customer that wanted to sell it back to them. That's what it was.

I hate it when someone attaches a name to something and everyone just accepts it.

Who bought a Performance Model 3 and is feeling a little jaded? I pay way more then my monthly payment ever month and I’m still upside down 17k due to Tesla’s price reduction. And it wasn’t like it was years later it was months. The same car can now be bought for almost 20k less with FSD vs EAP when they launched the performance version. I think those who bought the M3P and even those who got their 5k back for the first reductions of price who gave their free supercharging back should get FSD for free. They want to charge me 4K to get it. That’s absolutely ridiculous considering they basically got that money from us “early” adopters. I can understand the early adopter mangalore when it’s measured in years. Not months.

Paid cash-and-trade. I'm probably a good $40K above water.

It's more basic than that.

I am not happy with the contract I signed.

If the Federal rebate came back as 7500 in 2020, Tesla would also raise the price by some amount - probably half that.

Lots of people bad at math, bad at economics, bad at common sense, bad at being an adult.. goes on and on.

The same type of people who go 6 figures in debt for what basically amounted to a 4 year passion project at college, only to find out that surviving on $35K/yr AND paying off that debt is damn near impossible....and then blaming "the system" for poor life choices.

Just my humble opinion... And not judging people's personal financial or life choice situations etc...

I to was an early adopter. The P3D is $16K cheaper than what I paid in Sep 2018, but...
- I got the $7.5K tax rebate
- I got EAP vs AP... And FSD for $2K
- I got $5K back too
- And... Most critically I've had the joy of driving over 20K miles in the best car on the planet... Through family trips, national parks, and the joys of the smile I put on my my face during my commute, my kids faces, my passengers faces etc.

I paid net about $5K more than you can get the car now... But I've had an amazing year of fun... So we could reframe the problem... The price difference is actually only about $5K (well within normal 1 year depreciation) and we've had over a year of extra fun!

Last edited:
The same type of people who go 6 figures in debt for what basically amounted to a 4 year passion project at college, only to find out that surviving on $35K/yr AND paying off that debt is damn near impossible....and then blaming "the system" for poor life choices.

This thing with disparaging people with less money or difficult financial circumstances is really distasteful. Congratulations on your great life choices. Now go find someone who cares.