Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early peek at V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like new maps are downloading, a number of reports of big downloads tonight. This was a precursor to V9 in the States too.

Also interesting, some code was identified that said to keep the maps downloading either have the car plugged in, or have energy saving disabled.

If the car goes to sleep, it will stop downloading.

I’ve just woken my car and it’s started downloading already.

This a yet-different map update from the recent new maps one?

Yes it is. This happened over the Pond shortly before V9 started rolling out, and maybe a sign that map updates will be a more common feature in the future. Certainly needs to be, my daughters house was built not quite a year ago and the road still doesn’t show on the map. It’ll be interesting to see if this update changes that.

From memory I think sometimes it’s a day or so after the download that the “new map” notification appears on the screen, so I won’t be surprised if she’s still living in a field when I check it this morning.

The reality of the Bank of Mum and Dad sounds an awful lot like the unrealistic & gushing reviews of Jaguar i-Pace that i read ... :)

We did make sure the damn thing was built before giving what’s described as a ‘warm inheritance’ o_O . It even had solar panels that we knew nothing about. The smallest possible array to tick the box apparently.

Re the Jag, will be interesting to see how it pans out. I suspect for many people it’ll be absolutely fine. I know of one chap who has had 3 Tesla’s and just changed to the Jag. First impression compared to the X was less road noise, well built but already missing the touchscreen and all that goes with it.

Back on topic, either the new maps haven’t unpacked (no notification of update on MCU screen) or ‘new’ ain’t very new as aforementioned daughter is still living in a field :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
I wonder if the map data update is more to do with the Tesla "Atlas" -- i.e the pseudo HD mapping stuff that's been in production for a while now...I'd sort of assumed it'd download tile data "as you go", but I suppose it make sense to download a baseline and keep it off-line, and then maybe just look for updates for your particular route if you plug it into the nav.

Of course, that's all highly speculative on my part there... anyway fingers crossed for v9 in the UK soon

I wonder if the map data update is more to do with the Tesla "Atlas" -- i.e the pseudo HD mapping stuff that's been in production for a while now...I'd sort of assumed it'd download tile data "as you go", but I suppose it make sense to download a baseline and keep it off-line, and then maybe just look for updates for your particular route if you plug it into the nav.

Of course, that's all highly speculative on my part there... anyway fingers crossed for v9 in the UK soon

There is a map database downloaded to the car for use offline, i.e. when the internet connection to the car drops and this is what’s displayed in the instrument binnacle.

I think I am going to have to go back to an ICE or EV that doesn’t receive updates. Not sure I can cope any more with checking my Google Wifi for data hitting my car or refreshing TeslaFi longing for other countries to start receiving v9. It’s just not healthy :p:confused:;)

I think I am going to have to go back to an ICE or EV that doesn’t receive updates. Not sure I can cope any more with checking my Google Wifi for data hitting my car or refreshing TeslaFi longing for other countries to start receiving v9. It’s just not healthy :p:confused:;)

It is a little crazy isn't it. I also periodically re custom build a new car, even though I'm at least a year before I serious look to changing. I've noticed today the price has gone up a bit and so has the APR :eek:

I'm at least a year before I serious look to changing

Dunno if still is, but when I bought there was benefit in ordering at max lead time (6 months back then I think?). After I ordered there were a couple of price increases, and "new stuff" added to the car, which all came at original price.

Deposit has gone up a fair bit since I bought mine though ... and pound down :)

Reactions: Peteski
Dunno if still is, but when I bought there was benefit in ordering at max lead time (6 months back then I think?). After I ordered there were a couple of price increases, and "new stuff" added to the car, which all came at original price.

Deposit has gone up a fair bit since I bought mine though ... and pound down :)

I did exactly that to lock in the 1.5% APR last year. It went up literally a few days after I ordered and they honoured the lower finance rate 6 months later, after it had gone up a couple more times. Apparently they would also honour any price reductions in that period too, so should be a win-win scenario.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I wonder if we’re get v9 in the UK this year. I am sure I saw 1 vehicle in Hungary get it yesterday or the day before but nothing else outside of US/Canada. Although hopefully any major bugs (as will always have niggles) will be sorted and for those that want static camera at top perhaps it’ll come back. For me it makes me feel travel sick but I know some like it.

I think Elon has already confirmed the camera at the top IS coming back, in a tweet yesterday. Personally, I usually keep it at the bottom but its always nice to have options. :) Features wise, I'd really like the music volume to change with speed so it quietens a bit when slowing for roundabouts, etc. Always had that as standard in all my BMs.