Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early peek at V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you can still split it but one half is always the Nav. Must admit I always have the Nav now so that wouldn’t trouble me.

I am spoiled with my setup of a constant rearview screen in S for the past 6 years and also now in the X.

Model 3 convention would make rearview screen disappear if I check on navigation.

I hate that kind of convention but I wouldn't complain for Model 3 because of the cheaper price.

If Tesla imports that kind of convention to S/X, I would be very much disappointed in a very strongest sense!

Article on the Tesla dashcam here

As I read that:

Only available on Autopilot 2.5 hardware (Aug-2017).
Have to plug a USB drive into one of the front (two) USB ports
Records a circular 1-hour buffer
Pressing Dashcam Icon will copy last-10-minutes to separate file (which is not then overwritten)
Only uses forward-facing camera
Quality not yet established
Only active when vehicle powered-on (so will not record incidents when the car is parked)

Is it UK legislation preventing it here in the UK, or something more technical?

Probably find at a minimum the code has to be nationalised - country specific behaviours implemented and tested, and potentially given the tick of approval by transport authorities.

I've often wondered how this would would logistically - Australian and UK road rules are similar. But vary in detail. Within Australia they subtly vary from state to state.

Probably find at a minimum the code has to be nationalised - country specific behaviours implemented and tested, and potentially given the tick of approval by transport authorities.

I've often wondered how this would would logistically - Australian and UK road rules are similar. But vary in detail. Within Australia they subtly vary from state to state.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Yeah there's a whole bunch of differences that I'd imagine would keep new AP things US only for the foreseeable...

• The US was a country built almost hand-in-hand alongside the motorcar -- hence, grid systems and straight and wide interstate highways that are (comparatively) very consistent in construction, rules of the road, and thus predictable as a driving scenario
  • The dev team is likely to be almost entirely US based, so US driving is something they understand, and can react and adapt to quickly - then test and refine on familiar roads with a smaller set of rules than having to take The World into account
  • The UK drives on the left, so that our sword hand is free for battling from our horse. So, everything is mirrored. Whilst this sounds simple, it would require a lot of testing to verify things are working as expected and safely.
  • Slightly different traffic rules apply, such as it being illegal to "undertake" - though people still do!
  • By releasing in the US first, it's quicker to push out a feature and mark it as "shipped", this recognise revenue and/or capitalise on being first to release. World-wide homologation and localisation is a tedious/boring procedure that could be seen as slowing the pace down. I get the feeling the autopilot team (and Tesla in general) work on a bleeding edge release philosophy.
  • I would hazard a guess at there being more Teslas in the US than anywhere else... so they still hit a huge percentage of their user base by releasing "only" to the US.

It'd be very interesting to see the navigate on autopilot stuff on video. For example, what if you're on a motorway, and have to be in the left lane to take an upcoming exit, but are trapped in the right lane in slow moving traffic? At this point, you'd have to signal early and edge your way across - cutting in front of people to force them to let you in etc. It's a form of aggressive 'making gaps' driving, as opposed to passive 'filling gaps' driving. I wonder if Navigate on Autopilot only works above certain speeds?

Reactions: iboy
Slightly different traffic rules apply, such as it being illegal to "undertake" - though people still do!

This is not quite correctly. Its not actually illegal to undertake as far as I am aware. However, on motorways etc you can be prosecuted for dangerous driving. The reason being it would technically be illegal to go quicker in the inside lane whilst in queuing traffic etc.

You're not alone, lots of grumbling about that. In particular people use the rear camera as a back up to the rear view mirror. The view to the rear of the X is especially problematic?

I use the rear camera view when I've got my bike rack fitted so I can keep an eye on the bikes while driving. Already saved one potential disaster when I noticed one of the frame holders was coming loose. Without the camera view I would never have seen it.

I’m not a fan of the UI changes what they have done to the HVAC settings is just wrong... I may grow to like it.

Few videos on YouTube but none on the new AP feature that I’ve seen

Also I almost always have my music full screen and either can or energy below my daily drive is like 20miles I don’t need nav forced on me so I’m hoping you can still change it up like today it just have a different /new look n feel

I’m not a fan of the UI changes what they have done to the HVAC settings is just wrong... I may grow to like it.

Few videos on YouTube but none on the new AP feature that I’ve seen

Also I almost always have my music full screen and either can or energy below my daily drive is like 20miles I don’t need nav forced on me so I’m hoping you can still change it up like today it just have a different /new look n feel

Can you still make the map full screen? I love seeing the satellite map like that.