Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Supercharging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All

I will adjust accordingly.... I'll have several months with mine before I make the trip up to see how well I do with Wh/Mile. Know the roads and 95 pretty well, mild hypermiler here in my Ford Fusion Hybrid and am able to easily get over EPA on it. I really think I'll be able (in warmer months) to get 240 on a standard charge - I plan on driving 60-65 mph.

Also - going up the cape the driving at times is slower as you go through towns and on 6 - so the speed will be much less and should get better Wh/Mile.

Once in Provincetown I never use the car since I can walk to everything. I'm just going to plug her in to a 110v outlet for the week.....

Aaron

All

I will adjust accordingly.... I'll have several months with mine before I make the trip up to see how well I do with Wh/Mile. Know the roads and 95 pretty well, mild hypermiler here in my Ford Fusion Hybrid and am able to easily get over EPA on it. I really think I'll be able (in warmer months) to get 240 on a standard charge - I plan on driving 60-65 mph.

Also - going up the cape the driving at times is slower as you go through towns and on 6 - so the speed will be much less and should get better Wh/Mile.

Keep in mind that traffic lights are range killers in the MS. I think they're not as bad on hybrids for some reason. When I went through towns on my trip this weekend, the Wh/mi went up substantially.

I've been thinking about locations for the East, at least in New England, and imagine (hope!) that near where 91 and 90 intersect and 91 and 89 seem logical. With the Milford, CT, location I bet that would let you get to Montreal from DC or Albany, NY. Add something on 89 near PA, and you have a huge area covered.

As for North of Boston, I would bet where 95 and 93 come together near Portsmouth, NH would let you get to Portland, ME and beyond.
I'm guessing that Tesla will get a SC at the I-90 rest stop in Natick, very close to the Gallerie. That's 124 miles from Milford CT. This is an east-bound rest area only, though; the natural counterpart would be the Westborough (west-bound only) rest area, just west of I-495 on I-90.

Going northeast of Boston, the rest areas on I-95 at Kennebunk (Exit 25) is the natural spot. It's 100 miles north of the Natick rest area, so a little closer than ideal, but the traffic can be a real misery south of here in the summer, so extra margin is good.

Looking north of Boston, there's a clear need for an SC in the Lebanon/White River Jct area, where I-91 and I-89 intersect. That's about 130 miles from Boston, so a good range. It's 191 miles from Milford to WRJ, which could be a little far given the lack of traffic = high speeds on I-91. You could split that leg up effectively with a SC either near the I-90/I-91 intersection north of Springfield MA, or where MA-2 and I-91 intersect at Greenfield. Driving on MA-2 is so much nicer than I-90! It's 183 miles from WRJ to Montreal.

Rather than putting one out in Natick which is only useful from 90, how about one in Newton Lower Falls so it would be accessible from 90 and 128 in both directions? That's about equidistant, approximately 135 miles, from Milford and White River Junction. I'm still thinking that it would be useful to have one for North / South travel around Boston and 495 is a lot longer than 128.

WRT the Cape. There are remarkably few charging facilities on the Cape. For overnight, 110 charging is really not very useful even if it is available. I'm hoping there will be public 240V charging in P'Town next year for overnight charging. I think there already is one in Hyannis and Barnstable, but we go out to P'Town a couple of times a year so that's our main interest. A Supercharger at the Sagamore rotary would really solve the whole problem, including getting to the Cape from NJ, NY, CT, although it's maybe a bit far at 168 mi from Milford.

I'd love to see a SuperCharging station on the NJ Turnpike, perhaps somewhere around I-195 (exit 7a). Don't know what politics are involved there, since Sunoco seems to have exclusive gas station rights at all the rest stops. If this is not possible, maybe they'll consider putting one along I-295, which runs parallel to the Turnpike for most of south Jersey.

I'd love to see a SuperCharging station on the NJ Turnpike, perhaps somewhere around I-195 (exit 7a). Don't know what politics are involved there, since Sunoco seems to have exclusive gas station rights at all the rest stops. If this is not possible, maybe they'll consider putting one along I-295, which runs parallel to the Turnpike for most of south Jersey.
That rest area is only 70 miles north of the Delaware SuperCharging station, leaving a big gap up to Milford CT. Given the potential for long delays getting through/around NYC, I think the NJTurnpike rest area just north of the Garden State Parkway intersection, near Port Reading, would be wiser. This point is 105 miles north of the Delaware chargers and 94 miles south of the Milford CT chargers.*

*or 98 miles if you take the more rational route on the Merritt/Hutchinson Parkways.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla is going to have to abandon the strategy of using rest stops on I-95 south of Baltimore. As this helpful guide shows, all of the I-95 rest stops from Florida to Baltimore have, at best, picnic facilities and restrooms.

Last edited:
That rest area is only 70 miles north of the Delaware SuperCharging station, leaving a big gap up to Milford CT. Given the potential for long delays getting through/around NYC, I think the NJTurnpike rest area just north of the Garden State Parkway intersection, near Port Reading, would be wiser. This point is 105 miles north of the Delaware chargers and 94 miles south of the Milford CT chargers.*

*or 98 miles if you take the more rational route on the Merritt/Hutchinson Parkways.

I vote for just south of the GSP at the rest stops in E Brunswick. Makes it easier for those who want to bypass the Geo Washington Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway and take the Tappan Zee instead. Longer distance, sure, but cheaper toll and significantly less traffic.

Tesla is going to have to abandon the strategy of using rest stops on I-95 south of Baltimore. As this helpful guide shows, all of the I-95 rest stops from Florida to Baltimore have, at best, picnic facilities and restrooms.

I'd like to see that adopted for all non-toll highways. I'd much rather exit the highway at an outlet mall, or even a strip mall, to get better food and entertainment options while charging. Well, except for South of the Border, maybe.

I vote for just south of the GSP at the rest stops in E Brunswick. Makes it easier for those who want to bypass the Geo Washington Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway and take the Tappan Zee instead. Longer distance, sure, but cheaper toll and significantly less traffic.

I'd like to see that adopted for all non-toll highways. I'd much rather exit the highway at an outlet mall, or even a strip mall, to get better food and entertainment options while charging. Well, except for South of the Border, maybe.

well, the on-highway rest stops in maryland/delaware/NJ are very solid as far as food options while charging. No question that once you get into virginia and on south, they will need a completely different strategy. There are plenty of places though where there's a cluster of gas stations/hotels/food just off of the highway. I'm sure any of those would suffice.

FWIW I just spent way too much time getting the Tesla SC's in Milford, CT to show and route properly in Plugshare. There's no street address to use that both Apple maps and Google maps recognize. So I changed the address to GPS coordinates and that seems to work well for 1) web 2) apple (ios 6) 3) google (jellybean) ... also moved the markers around to be pretty close to where they are, too. Yeesh.
I did this 'cuz it was routing me completely the wrong way when I used the "directions to here" feature (since it routes based on the listed address and NOT the GPS marker ... oddly)

Heard a rumor another super charger is coming to southwestern CT. Anyone hear similar? Also, any news on 91 North?

I would have hoped for Central/Northern NJ before SW CT.
Drove from Boston to Philly at the tail end of a 15-18" snow storm last weekend [when our flight was cancelled] and took the ICE SUV. Looking forward to my Model S next time.

That SUV (Q5) is LOUD at cruising speed!

I would have hoped for Central/Northern NJ before SW CT.
Drove from Boston to Philly at the tail end of a 15-18" snow storm last weekend [when our flight was cancelled] and took the ICE SUV. Looking forward to my Model S next time.

That SUV (Q5) is LOUD at cruising speed!

Mike

That doesn't make sense.... It would be too close to the Milford Supercharger. From Milford to the NY/CT border on I95 is only 41 miles. I can't imagine any reason why they would put stations that close together....

My bet is absolutely on the New Jersey Turnpike somewhere mid to Northern NJ. I also hope they plan one further up I95 towards Boston, say before Providence, RI for Boston and Cape Cod travel....

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

All 4 supercharger spaces at the DE rest stop were taken up by ICE vehicles yesterday :(

Although I am usually *rarely* a vengeful person, I would seriously consider blocking cars parked in those spaces from leaving for the same amount of time they made me wait to charge my car....

Aaron