TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

East Greenwich SC not exclusive to Teslas

Discussion in 'New England' started by David Rhee, Feb 8, 2014.

1. David Rhee

David Rhee Member

#1 David Rhee, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    When I arrived at the East Greenwich, RI SC, 7 out of 8 spots were ICE'd! I spoke with one ICE owner who parked inthe spot about the spots being reserved for Tesla charging needs, he was very annoyed about it, to the point of being hostile! This SC could be a big problem spot in the future when more Teslas will be looking to charge here...

Attached Files:

2. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

Did you call tesla to let them know. I think this is the best way, to prevent this so that Tesla can alert the property manager

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Looks like this is one of those that has the 30 minute parking signs. Are all 8 of the signs 30 minute general parking or only half of them and the others say EV charging only?

4. David Rhee

David Rhee Member

#4 David Rhee, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    I didn't check closely but I think 4 slots are 30 minutes parking and other 4 are EV only. However I don't think the signs matter... I will be alerting Tesla about it, but I'm not sure whether anything can be done about it. The shopping center is very busy and open parking spots can be hard to find.

5. MassX1317

MassX1317 Addicted to TMC

People these days are so inconsiderate. Don't have my Tesla yet but even at the gas station by my house, same issues. I'm going to work, need gas, all 8 pumps are full, most of them have multiple cars...not one person is fueling. The Dunkin Donuts line is 15-20 people long though. Was looking forward to never dealing with that again but looks like your picture proved my thought wrong.

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I wrote to ownership about this problem, which I also saw when I used the East Greenwich SpC a couple of weeks ago. Clearly these spots were the favs of many people for short-term parking.

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

The signs are such that 4 are general and 4 are dedicated.
    I don't even understand why people park there -- it's not nearly as convenient to any of the stores (even the Walgreens building that's right there -- the entrance is MUCH closer to the general parking area around the corner). When there last we saw 2-3 ICEd and asked Walmart if employees were parking there (which would make more sense) and they said no.

Please call Tesla when it happens. They need to know.

8. Robert.Boston

When I was there, about 5pm on a Friday, the general parking area looked very full. The SC spots, which are right near the main street entrance to the lot, looked open and inviting. People are lazy, and many will often take the first reasonably close spot that they see. Perhaps Tesla should build a fence behind these spots, shielding them from view as you enter?

9. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

I think, hope, a lot of this will change when they, Tesla, retrofits the solar canopies. And with canopies they can provide some kind of "barrier"?

10. Robert.Boston

Or will people think, "Oh, a nice shaded spot to park my car! How nice." ?

11. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

That location was a poor choice because of the proximity to Walgreens, I don't think anything is going to work for the site. Orange cones should probably be placed in the 4 dedicated SuperCharger spots, and we can just move them. That would probably be a good step in sending a message to the ICE drivers.. most are too lazy to get out and move a cone.

If that doesn't work, I think retractable poles will have to be installed, that can sense a Model S arriving and retract, or we have a way to activate. Of course that's expensive for Tesla to install / engineer.. A better solution would be to just find a location that's not as busy and move the equipment to it, if it comes to having to take extreme measures.

12. GlennAlanBerry

As long as EV charging spots are seen as convenient (because they are near a building or even just open) by ICE owners, we are going to have this problem. Some jurisdictions will ticket or tow a vehicle that is "ICEing" an EV charging stall, but that seems to be pretty rare. I would make sure to report it to Tesla, and also post pictures on this forum when it happens.

It would be nice if we had a retracting post that was operated by RFID or a WiFi signal from a Tesla to help control access to spots where this is an issue, but that would obviously add cost and complexity to SC installations.

13. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

It would be pretty neat if they can add motorized gates or floor spikes ;-) that open or retract, respectively, with a push of a button. I hope Tesla can push a Homelink code OTA or through an update.