Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
powerstream.jpg

Not strictly Supercharger material, but people going down or up Hwy 400 should consider the Powerstream CHAdeMO station near Toronto. This one will remain free; others probably won't. The person I spoke with (on June 24) was knowledgeable and helpful.

As for charge speed, the highest the person said he had observed was a Model S starting at 5% battery: 48 kWh. Starting at much higher than that (65% battery), I got 27kWh, but that increased to 30 by the time I reached 88%. As in my note above, I have no explanation for why the delivery kWh increased. Maybe white cars are special :tongue:

. Towards the end of the charge, pushing 90%, I was getting more than 90 kWh. Go figure --- and let me know what you figure...

If under Settings you had selected Energy as opposed to Distance and were indeed pulling 90 kW when your battery was charged to 90%, it is very abnormal. Normally, the charging rate tapers to a third of that by that point. Take photos of the dash next time. Charging rate (power) is in kW, energy added is in kWh, so there is some confusion as to what you encountered.

When I started charging (I'm the white one), at 125 rated range remaining, I was getting fewer than 90 kWh. Towards the end of the charge, pushing 90%, I was getting more than 90 kWh. Go figure --- and let me know what you figure.

I have an older A-pack, so never see anything above 90, but in general, you should see higher rates of charge (kW) when the battery is low and the rate of charge should taper off as the battery gets full. Just to check... if you have the car set to show Energy (kWh) rather than miles/kilometers, there will be a counter that climbs up as the battery charges. Were you perhaps looking at the kWh counter?

- - - Updated - - -

Starting at much higher than that (65% battery), I got 27kWh, but that increased to 30 by the time I reached 88%. As in my note above, I have no explanation for why the delivery kWh increased. Maybe white cars are special :tongue:

The fact that you are referencing Energy (kWh) as opposed to Power (kW) makes me wonder if you are looking at the energy meter...

Tesla is sending around "Buffalo Supercharger is Open" emails now.

I put our New York road trip into the Nav yesterday and it was routing through Buffalo.

Looking forward to the trip tomorrow, and we will likely fully charge in Buffalo considering we're stopping for lunch, and it looks like the local pub serves "Buffalo Wings". :tongue:

We did a road trip to Owen Sound and back this past weekend and charged in Barrie without issue (only one other Model S there), so I am confident we'll be fine getting to NY city, well, not 100% confident, but 99% anyway... :redface:

The official Tesla Motors Supercharger site is due for an update in which a new batch of projected sites on the "2015" map should receive "Coming soon" icons on the "Today" map.

Let's hope Eastern Canada is represented. Otherwise, Hamilton/Burlington, Cobourg, Quebec City, and Rivière-du-Loup could get pushed back to 2016. As consolation prizes, let's see how many Superchargers within a full charge distance of Eastern Canada become "Coming soon."

Bangor, ME, South Burlington, VT, Plattsburgh, NY, Binghamton, NY, Rochester, NY, and Erie, PA are among the candidates. I haven't really followed the map for other locations in Michigan, or even the construction in Duluth if you count that as being just 200 km from Ontario.

I was surprised today to get a supercharger open in Buffalo email considering I used it last Tuesday. I would say that this charger was the least nice one compared to the few along the 401 I have used so far. If you are travelling south from Buffalo along Erie then the location is not great at all. If you are heading east towards Rochester then it is better. The amenities around are not great although there is certainly a lot of shopping. Much less in terms of food. Walked south about 700m to a subway.

Cross at the Rainbow bridge or Queenston-Lewiston (if you have nexus). If you cross at Fort Erie you will have to backtrack.

The current version of the nav is a comical mess. Had me returning to Toronto from Buffalo via the supercharger in Woodstalk!!! This past weekend going to Ottawa it had me returning to the Toronto charger when I was well on my way along the 401 to Kingston with oodles of range to spare. Needs work.

At the point where the NAV is getting me to SC when I don't need to, or backtracking, I tap "trip" on the route and then something like "remove charging stops". I think that option was added with .239
(I was on the QEW in Oakville, and to get to the Buffalo SC, it had me go to Lawrence SC then to Buffalo). The NAV wants you to arrive with a 20% safety margin, which is annoying if you know you can make the trip, but useful for those just getting their cars.

The current version of the nav is a comical mess. Had me returning to Toronto from Buffalo via the supercharger in Woodstalk!!! This past weekend going to Ottawa it had me returning to the Toronto charger when I was well on my way along the 401 to Kingston with oodles of range to spare. Needs work.

It's bizarre for sure. Last Friday, I was coming from Niagara Falls, NY to Cambridge, ON and it wanted me to go all the way to the Toronto Supercharger and back. I would have arrived in Cambridge with roughly the same SOC as if I drove there directly with no charging stops at all.

I've been posting my Toronto to New York trip in a separate thread.
It was easy, and the navigation was perfect, no complaints.
I wish the nav voice was louder, it gets to be a rowdy car with two kids and a wife who likes 'house' music!
Buffalo supercharger had a good pub near it, and the bank was convenient to get US currency for the (many) tolls.

At the point where the NAV is getting me to SC when I don't need to, or backtracking, I tap "trip" on the route and then something like "remove charging stops". I think that option was added with .239
(I was on the QEW in Oakville, and to get to the Buffalo SC, it had me go to Lawrence SC then to Buffalo). The NAV wants you to arrive with a 20% safety margin, which is annoying if you know you can make the trip, but useful for those just getting their cars.

It took about a week of the trip planner beta routing me through Billings, MT (an addition of over 1500km to my trip!) for me to disable the system altogether (Settings->Apps->Maps & Navigation->Trip Planner Beta->Off). Did they even road test this thing before releasing it?! Calling something "Beta" does not excuse this kind of ineptitude. That trip planner is barely an alpha.

I know this is not the correct thread to use for this message but wanted to ensure that all Ottawa area Tesla Owners are aware of the inaugural Ottawa Tesla Owners Club meeting on July 23 at East Side Marios on Hunt a Club Road.

All details are in the Thread ----- Forum under Canada called FIRST OTTAWA TESLA OWNERS CLUB.

If interested in participating suggest you go to the thread and let me know so I can ensure booking numbers are accurate.

Montreal superchargers getting busy...
I was at the Montreal supercharger site yesterday and there were 4 Teslas for 2 superchargers and 4 HPWCs. I was the only one from out of town. The rest were locals, with one guy range charging his 85D not for a trip but for the electrons. The maximum charging rate I got was 103 kmh (usually around 95) charging when I did get a spot at the superchargers. This is by far the slowest charge I've seen at a supercharger. I think that sharing the current with the other charger and possibly the HPWC severely limited the output. Anyway, all this to say the experience was far from ideal. Firstly the location leads to locals using the chargers, apparently this is "uncool". Secondly the current provided is very limited, I believe on top of the sharing issue. Thirdly, people don't respect people waiting for a charge, it seemed to be a social event, while I was hoping to get some range and get on my way. I will call them today anyway to see what is the electrical problem, but perhaps some courtesy to those who actually need the SC would be appreciated. Superchargers in the centre of cities likely will be used in this way. Perhaps a location on the West Island would better serve the traveller, but at this time Montreal is poorly served by superchargers compared to Toronto or Kingston.