Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... I was wondering about the etiquette when you're the 5th car. I know that if I was the 4th car and had just plugged in, and another car came along and plugged into my paired charger (causing my current to drop) I would be pretty annoyed!

Okay, everybody print this on to a card and tape it to your windshield. It's been discussed several times over ...

SECOND CAR PLUGGING IN TO A SUPERCHARGER PAIR DOES NOT REDUCE CHARGE RATE OF FIRST CAR!!!!

1. first car plugs in, gets full charge rate
2. second car plugs in, gets whatever is left (If first car is using 110 kW of a 135 kW SC, second car gets 25 kW
3. as first car's charge starts to taper off, second car gets the increasing share of what is available.

That's it.

So... I was wondering about the etiquette when you're the 5th car. I know that if I was the 4th car and had just plugged in, and another car came along and plugged into my paired charger (causing my current to drop) I would be pretty annoyed!

LOL. I thought I was the only one who looked to see what pair other cars were on and tried to pick an unused one. I'll bet the vast majority have no idea about this (us forum users excluded, of course!). I'm pretty sure when there were 3 other cars at Barrie that two of them were already on the same pair.

Not that I would recommend it, but I read that if you press the handle release button momentarily on the "other" car, the Supercharger pair will re-assign charging priority to your car.

Okay, everybody print this on to a card and tape it to your windshield. It's been discussed several times over ...

SECOND CAR PLUGGING IN TO A SUPERCHARGER PAIR DOES NOT REDUCE CHARGE RATE OF FIRST CAR!!!!

1. first car plugs in, gets full charge rate
2. second car plugs in, gets whatever is left (If first car is using 110 kW of a 135 kW SC, second car gets 25 kW
3. as first car's charge starts to taper off, second car gets the increasing share of what is available.

That's it.

Uhhh... thanks. (lies bleeding out on the floor for having asked an apparently stupid question)

Still true at old 90 kW sites? True at locations where power has been reduced due to some time of problem? For example, if output is 70 kW max, could you sit for a half-hour not charging at all?

Are there any 90 kW Supercharger sites which haven't been upgraded? The units have been 135 kW (across two stalls, 120 kW max one stall) for a long, long time now. And some old sites have definitely been upgraded. When I went through Barstow last summer it was 4 stalls, two being the original 90 kW. It's now 8 stalls with a solar canopy, and the original 90 kW stalls are gone. Supercharger - Barstow - Page 30

The first time a question is asked is never stupid. However, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... :rolleyes:

Yes, but not everyone was around when the question was asked the 2nd time, or the 3rd time, or...
And since we have new people constantly joining--a good thing, I would argue--some questions are going to get asked repeatedly. I see it as one of the pieces that makes up a community. Otherwise, these forums could all just be replaced with a FAQ, which wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Besides, any question asked here, even repeatedly, has got to pale compared to the "What do you do if the battery runs out of charge?" question that I get asked at least two or three times a week. And I still enjoy answering it.

My data base is small but the times I have used Kingston SC and Woodstock SC, I was the only one there twice and only one other car was there the second time I visited both those Superchargers. Lawrence Ave is completely different - packed with locals, new car charging and the odd visitor - when I was there from Ottawa in June for three days - only me.

...this is just another reason to prioritize a Cobourg Supercharger imo...

My data base is small but the times I have used Kingston SC and Woodstock SC, I was the only one there twice and only one other car was there the second time I visited both those Superchargers. Lawrence Ave is completely different - packed with locals, new car charging and the odd visitor - when I was there from Ottawa in June for three days - only me.

...this is just another reason to prioritize a Cobourg Supercharger imo...

In thinking about this, wouldn't something near the 35/115 cutoff in Clarington make more sense to support traffic going up to Peterborough and the Kawarthas as well as 401 traffic? I thought Tesla usually tried to pick spots like that. I believe that's why Woodstock is where it is to support the 401 and 403 towards Brantford. I suppose CR 28 at Cobourg also heads north in that direction, but my guess is a lot more of the "cottage traffic" comes and goes from the Toronto direction.

In thinking about this, wouldn't something near the 35/115 cutoff in Clarington make more sense to support traffic going up to Peterborough and the Kawarthas as well as 401 traffic? I thought Tesla usually tried to pick spots like that. I believe that's why Woodstock is where it is to support the 401 and 403 towards Brantford. I suppose CR 28 at Cobourg also heads north in that direction, but my guess is a lot more of the "cottage traffic" comes and goes from the Toronto direction.
Either one of those locations would do the trick.

In thinking about this, wouldn't something near the 35/115 cutoff in Clarington make more sense to support traffic going up to Peterborough and the Kawarthas as well as 401 traffic?

Absolutely! 35/115 is a significant route, and also happens to be the route to take if you want to minimize the distance (not time) to Ottawa. Kingston to Clarington is 186 km, which is a good distance. I can't see an advantage to putting a Supercharger further east.

I'm not fussy on the actual location Mike...I just want to bypass Toronto avoiding the Lawrence St. Supercharger (if at all possible)...:wink:

I think it's important to set realistic expectations; for whatever reason, the Canadian rollout has always been very slow. Aside from Riviere du Loup, it's been pretty pretty quiet for a while now. It would not surprise me if we don't see any more installed this year.

I think it's important to set realistic expectations; for whatever reason, the Canadian rollout has always been very slow. Aside from Riviere du Loup, it's been pretty pretty quiet for a while now. It would not surprise me if we don't see any more installed this year.

Zero would be surprising and disappointing. Two would also be a let down, but not shocking. I do think TM is setting itself up for a Broder-style review next Winter if there aren't more Superchargers in Eastern Canada by then.

If you look back a few pages I have said this more than once. Its almost ideal.