Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until there is a supercharger in Ottawa, I prefer the CHAdeMO in the byward market. About an hour to fully charge from empty at ~$20. Would also consider the MEC charger, but I've since decided that CHAdeMO is the only thing worth using when waiting for a charge. Everything else would take 4-6 hours to get a decent amount charge, and only really useful for top-ups.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I made it work! On my way back from Montreal to Toronto, and boy was it nice to see all the Teslas!

Did toronto to Ottawa, Ottawa to Montreal, Montreal to Toronto (en route now, currently at Port Hope Supercharging)

On my way to Ottawa, I charged to 100% from home, made it to a Kingston with 9km left (skipped Port Hope. Took about 15 minutes before any charging began!!! Almost had a heart attack that I was going to be stranded)...lesson learned: car takes a while to start charging when drained that low....charger to 369/381km at Kingston

It made it from Kingston to Ottawa with about 140km on the tank. Drove around a bit and charged at the Citoyen Maison 30amp (28km/hr) Citrique Electric charger in Gatineau (was staying at the four points Gatineau)...unfortunately it looks like they closed that gate off at 10, so wasn't able to get it back in after I took the car out for a drive. Had 130km left...parked on a side street...drove to Byward market (111km by that time)....found another J1772 charger there and went out for a bite to eat, returned with about 150km to get to Cornwall.

Issue #1: Cornwall supercharger - 6 stall charger....stalls 2a and 2b were completely dead. Stalls 3a and 3b are restricted to 52kw. Had to keep alternating between 1 a and 1b as the charge rate kept dropping significantly (overheating?)

Not a problem on the way to Montreal - I was the only one there

I topped up in Montreal - this charger was fantastic!! 92kw charging rate the entire charge up to 250km!

On the way back to Toronto, stopped at Cornwall again! Boy oh boy....I arrived, chargers were empty....charged at 1a....once it dropped, switched to 1b...right after doing that, 4 other Teslas pulled in back to back....and because there were only 4 active chargers, 1 guy actually had to wait for me to finish..., 2 of them were stuck and complaining about the very slow charging speeds, and the 1 guy who took over my slower charging 1a slot mentioned he was only getting 38kw but that eventually got up to full speeds once it had a chance to cool

Once I pulled out another one came in...basically this one had a line up!

Next stop: Kingston. Charger 2b is down! It won't insert! I arrived with all chargers empty, second I plug in (plugged in to 2a), 7-8 other Teslas pulled in!), all 5 of 6 active chargers filled up, and 2-3 began waiting...2a is best since no one can plug in to 2b to split the charge.

Came back after coffee and another 5 Teslas waiting to charge...

Left and now at Port Hope. Completely dead here! Getting great speeds haha

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I made it work! On my way back from Montreal to Toronto, and boy was it nice to see all the Teslas!

Did toronto to Ottawa, Ottawa to Montreal, Montreal to Toronto (en route now, currently at Port Hope Supercharging)

On my way to Ottawa, I charged to 100% from home, made it to a Kingston with 9km left (skipped Port Hope. Took about 15 minutes before any charging began!!! Almost had a heart attack that I was going to be stranded)...lesson learned: car takes a while to start charging when drained that low....charger to 369/381km at Kingston

It made it from Kingston to Ottawa with about 140km on the tank. Drove around a bit and charged at the Citoyen Maison 30amp (28km/hr) Citrique Electric charger in Gatineau (was staying at the four points Gatineau)...unfortunately it looks like they closed that gate off at 10, so wasn't able to get it back in after I took the car out for a drive. Had 130km left...parked on a side street...drove to Byward market (111km by that time)....found another J1772 charger there and went out for a bite to eat, returned with about 150km to get to Cornwall.

Issue #1: Cornwall supercharger - 6 stall charger....stalls 2a and 2b were completely dead. Stalls 3a and 3b are restricted to 52kw. Had to keep alternating between 1 a and 1b as the charge rate kept dropping significantly (overheating?)

Not a problem on the way to Montreal - I was the only one there

I topped up in Montreal - this charger was fantastic!! 92kw charging rate the entire charge up to 250km!

On the way back to Toronto, stopped at Cornwall again! Boy oh boy....I arrived, chargers were empty....charged at 1a....once it dropped, switched to 1b...right after doing that, 4 other Teslas pulled in back to back....and because there were only 4 active chargers, 1 guy actually had to wait for me to finish..., 2 of them were stuck and complaining about the very slow charging speeds, and the 1 guy who took over my slower charging 1a slot mentioned he was only getting 38kw but that eventually got up to full speeds once it had a chance to cool

Once I pulled out another one came in...basically this one had a line up!

Next stop: Kingston. Charger 2b is down! It won't insert! I arrived with all chargers empty, second I plug in (plugged in to 2a), 7-8 other Teslas pulled in!), all 5 of 6 active chargers filled up, and 2-3 began waiting...2a is best since no one can plug in to 2b to split the charge.

Came back after coffee and another 5 Teslas waiting to charge...

Left and now at Port Hope. Completely dead here! Getting great speeds haha

I guess this is one of the problems with long distance driving with Superchargers - the load can get very lumpy as groups of drivers reach the Superchargers at the same time. I have never had to wait at any SC so far but perhaps it is because of my fortunate timing. The next time I have to take a long drive on a busy long-weekend I should factor in my arrival times at the SC to avoid crowds if possible. Of course a fossil car owner would laugh at us having to worry about SC availability as their gas guzzlers can make an entire trip on a single tank. I still think it is more of an adventure to make this work (EV use) but once all those Model 3's hit the streets, I hope the network availability has kept up.

Reactions: Lex and jbcarioca
When I was in Cornwall on Sept 30, there were some very old "out of order" signs on 2A and 2B and spider webs on the cables - they had clearly been offline for a while. 3A and 3B were at reduced capacity. I called Tesla - they knew about some of the problems but not all. I used 1A but didn't try 1B and didn't notice 1A running slow. This site really needs some attention from Tesla! Did you call them to report the 1A/1B problems? I always call when I find a broken SC - they probably already know but more calls might result in quicker attention.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and jbcarioca
When I was in Cornwall on Sept 30, there were some very old "out of order" signs on 2A and 2B and spider webs on the cables - they had clearly been offline for a while. 3A and 3B were at reduced capacity. I called Tesla - they knew about some of the problems but not all. I used 1A but didn't try 1B and didn't notice 1A running slow. This site really needs some attention from Tesla! Did you call them to report the 1A/1B problems? I always call when I find a broken SC - they probably already know but more calls might result in quicker attention.

I didn't report 1a or 1b, I figured it was just natural but being an older charger location probably just heats up quicker...

2a/2b had "now working" signs written on lined paper taped to the charger handles...

I did definitely report 2a/2b/3a/3b for not working/reduced capacity.

I was too out of it/tired to report 2b at Kingston

On my way to Ottawa, I charged to 100% from home, made it to a Kingston with 9km left (skipped Port Hope. Took about 15 minutes before any charging began!!! Almost had a heart attack that I was going to be stranded)...lesson learned: car takes a while to start charging when drained that low....

I don't think draining the battery had something to do with the delay for starting to charge, must be another problem. I already got to the Kingston SC with 2 km of range left! (Planned too tight, drove too fast.) Anyway, charging started immediately even in these conditions.

I don't think draining the battery had something to do with the delay for starting to charge, must be another problem. I already got to the Kingston SC with 2 km of range left! (Planned too tight, drove too fast.) Anyway, charging started immediately even in these conditions.
Yes, I have drained my batter to zero rated miles a couple times and <10 rated miles on quite a few occasions and, while the charging does go a little more slowly at such low strengths of charge, I never experienced any delay in the initiation of the charge. I would usually get something like 50-60kW until I got up to about 10% strength of charge and then it would go up to the normal charge rate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Safari

Yes, I have drained my batter to zero rated miles a couple times and <10 rated miles on quite a few occasions and, while the charging does go a little more slowly at such low strengths of charge, I never experienced any delay in the initiation of the charge. I would usually get something like 50-60kW until I got up to about 10% strength of charge and then it would go up to the normal charge rate.

Interesting....funny thing is it did this 3 times this trip alone...

9km to Kingston (Stop #1) - Plugged in to 3a....no charge after about 5 minutes of waiting...switched to stall 2b I think....about 15 minutes later (I know because I was on the phone with Tesla and call lasted 15 mins after hold time) to start charging...and then had a slow ramp up, a minute to 10kw, another minute to about 30, stayed below 50kw until it had about 25-30km, and then ramped up to 90kw+

About 12km left at Cornwall supercharger from Ottawa....took about 5 minutes before it started charging....

Arrived with about 80km at Montreal, charging was instant and got to 90+kw in a few seconds...

about 90km returning to Cornwall, and again charging started instantly....

Arrived with 2km left at Kingston from Cornwall and again took a while to start charging (guessing around 10 minutes) at 2a (2b was broken on the way back)

Some background....I was driving with a "heavy foot"...and I was driving "fast"...each of those times I arrived at the supercharger the car had loud HVAC sounds already....if its not the low battery, is it possibly an "overheated" battery? I should also mention each of those times it restricted my power to 100kw while driving vs the max 200kw output on the 75d

Is this something I should get checked?

About 12km left at Cornwall supercharger from Ottawa....took about 5 minutes before it started charging....

Arrived with 2km left at Kingston from Cornwall and again took a while to start charging (guessing around 10 minutes) at 2a (2b was broken on the way back)

Some background....I was driving with a "heavy foot"...and I was driving "fast"...each of those times I arrived at the supercharger the car had loud HVAC sounds already....if its not the low battery, is it possibly an "overheated" battery? I should also mention each of those times it restricted my power to 100kw while driving vs the max 200kw output on the 75d

Is this something I should get checked?

The power restriction to 100 kW or less is normal as the charge level gets low, though, as you speculate, heat or cold can also be factors. Is it possible you had range mode on? If so, battery cooling would have been restricted in an effort to save energy. Since you mention noise from the HVAC system, I suppose it's not that. Did this noise continue during the intervals when you were waiting for charging to start?

Overall, the delays to start charging seem a bit extreme. I have heard of someone completely draining their battery and needing almost an hour for charging to start at a Supercharger. However, I've not personally experienced any delays when arriving with 10 km to 20 km left.

The power restriction to 100 kW or less is normal as the charge level gets low, though, as you speculate, heat or cold can also be factors. Is it possible you had range mode on? If so, battery cooling would have been restricted in an effort to save energy. Since you mention noise from the HVAC system, I suppose it's not that. Did this noise continue during the intervals when you were waiting for charging to start?

Overall, the delays to start charging seem a bit extreme. I have heard of someone completely draining their battery and needing almost an hour for charging to start at a Supercharger. However, I've not personally experienced any delays when arriving with 10 km to 20 km left.

I did indeed have Range Mode on, but yeah the HVAC was fairly loud the entire time (I.e. While waiting for charging to begin, and even once charging began).

Now that I think of it, I do remember on 2 other occasions, although it was a P90D Model S loaner I was using....where I arrived to the supercharger with 0km (Returning loaner back to Lawrence), and 2km (buffalo super charger) and both times didn't have any delay to begin charging. And both times I was driving with a heavy foot (when I knew I'd make it) and the car had a loud hvac noise upon arrival as well....maybe I'll contact my SC to see what's up.

I did not see a thread specific to S.Ontario, kinda surprising actually...

Obviously the GTA is getting the bulk of the upcoming expansion. So I'm most interested in where they're starting to expand outside of the GTA. I'm in Hamilton, so the fact that we have one coming less than a km from me is great, though I'll obviously hardly ever need it so close to home.

The Windsor-Niagra Fall corridor is getting new stations in St.Catherines and Strathroy- which lies about halfway between the current stations in Sarnia and Woodstock.

Intriguing is where they're heading to the North and West. Cambridge and Kitchener seem awfully close together, I'm surprised one of those wasn't Guelph instead. Orangeville is a great waystop for those heading to Collingwood, which I'm sure has to be on the list in the not too distant future.

Owen Sound is a great addition- though it would be better if it happened when I had my car and before my in-laws moved back across the Bruce to Southampton.

One smack in the middle somewhere would do a lot of good for those that have cottages in the Saugeen Shores. Maybe Mount Forest or Mildmay? Just spitballing...

How do you know the one in Hamilton will be 1km from your home?

In most instances on the maps the SCs are placeholders located where Google maps places the city name - which is often at city hall (Toronto and Mississauga are two such examples). In the case of Hamilton this isn't the case if you zoom way in, but the location shown, at the corner of Ray St and Canada St right by the railway tracks in a residential area can't be correct. Have you looked at the site on the satellite view of Google Maps?

If they are going to put it downtown then somewhere by Dundurn and King/Main, right off the 403 is what would make most sense to me. The good thing is that in Hamilton you don't have to worry about being close to a Timmies as you can't swing a dead cat in Hamilton and not hit two Timmies.

There has been a lot of discussion in the Eastern Canada thread - a lot of it griping by me as Tesla is supposed to build about 18 SCs in Ontario this year and so far they have built a grand total of nil.

One smack in the middle somewhere would do a lot of good for those that have cottages in the Saugeen Shores. Maybe Mount Forest or Mildmay? Just spitballing...

If they were going to put one out there, I think Mount Forest would be the winner; highway 6 going north/south and 89 going east/west.

Waterloo is tech town; it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Model 3 reservations are from the area.

Yes, that's how things are organized here. I've merged the threads.

Sorry. Thanks!

The way I see those two is that the one in Cambridge is likely to be for highway travellers and will be right on the 401 whereas the one in Kitchener is more for local folks.

But in terms of priority, what's the point of the Kitchener one then? I can't imagine just about anyone living in Kitchener/Waterloo won't have their own home to charge at.

How do you know the one in Hamilton will be 1km from your home?

Yeah, I've heard that the TBD positions are not accurate, but I thought generally it would be in that area, which puts it at most 2kms from my place.