Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes sense, though honestly I'd have imagined that by the time they publicly announce they're adding an supercharger to an area that they'd have secured the location.

In non-Tesla owned locations though- I'd think in a few years that properties like Malls and other free-parking spaces would be competing for Tesla SC spots. You get the (for now) 30-40 minute captive audience that seeks out your location. And you're not the one paying for the charging infrastructure, like say IKEA does at it's locations, and like pretty much every parking lot will be doing over the next decade.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
A non-Fairview owned Fairview?
Several years ago (a decade?) CF sold off their second tier properties as they wanted to focus only on the highest quality malls - like Toronto Eaton Centre, Sherway, Chinook in Calgary, Polo Park in Winnipeg and Rideau Centre in Ottawa. I am pretty sure that this was one of the malls that they sold off at the time.
Oxford did the same thing. A lot of these second and third class malls are now owned by some of the publicly traded REITs like First Capital which owns Fairview in St Cath.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
I say this again - the downtown location is just speculation on our part. Tesla has "Toronto" on the list for 2017 and for now the placeholder is at City Hall. But does that mean it has to be downtown? There are lots of other places that would still fall within Toronto.
I was told at the Oakville SC that the Supercharger team stated that they are installing a large hub (20-30 spots) in downtown Toronto. They would not give any real details, but a hub would be great as long as it doesn't cost $20 to get into and out of the parking lot :)

Wow, great surge of supercharger activity going on at the moment. Great to see! I'm also impressed by the number of stalls at the new installations. I feel as though this is the prep for the increase in Model 3 population around here in 6-12 months (I'm really hoping I'm right with the 6-12 months!).

Wow, great surge of supercharger activity going on at the moment. Great to see! I'm also impressed by the number of stalls at the new installations. I feel as though this is the prep for the increase in Model 3 population around here in 6-12 months (I'm really hoping I'm right with the 6-12 months!).

I think this will just be good enough for addition to the S/X. Not a chance this is anywhere enough for Model 3s to join in.

Even stations like Grimsby which were formerly barely used are full these days.

Several years ago (a decade?) CF sold off their second tier properties as they wanted to focus only on the highest quality malls - like Toronto Eaton Centre, Sherway, Chinook in Calgary, Polo Park in Winnipeg and Rideau Centre in Ottawa. I am pretty sure that this was one of the malls that they sold off at the time.
Oxford did the same thing. A lot of these second and third class malls are now owned by some of the publicly traded REITs like First Capital which owns Fairview in St Cath.

I don’t think this is accurate. I live very near Fairview mall. The Cadillac Fairview CF logo is prominently displayed on the entry signs to the shopping center - saw it on my drive by this evening.

I don’t think this is accurate. I live very near Fairview mall. The Cadillac Fairview CF logo is prominently displayed on the entry signs to the shopping center - saw it on my drive by this evening.
The Fairview Mall that they sold is the one in St Catherines. What I meant is that Cadillac Fairview sold off second tier malls, especially in smaller markets, but they kept the big malls in major markets. So they still own Fairview Mall in Toronto, but not the one in St Cath.

Even stations like Grimsby which were formerly barely used are full these days.

My suspicion is that a lot of current owners use Superchargers just because they can, not because they need to. I'll admit I do this sometimes. I got along just fine before there was a single Supercharger in Canada and suspect I'll be okay if/when they ever become congested.

It is my hope that people will use them for their originally intended purpose... to enable long distance road trips and not for local convenience charging. I do realize there are some folks with no home charging options (condo dwellers, for instance). Tesla is installing Urban superchargers in parking lots for this purpose, and there are other L2 options available for folks too.