Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be more than adequate for large swaths of the country with low population/ownership density (ie: Saskatchewan). Even if they were all in use when you arrive, you could wait around for those people to finish and still charge up faster than the options currently available.

Fortunately on the prairies we'd be able to see that the chargers were occupied from miles away and adjust our speeds accordingly.

(A one-time flatlander)

If sitter K was making a joke, I am not laughing. I was being sarcastic to make a point.
My point is: This is a site for the Tesla Supercharger in Eastern Canada, so lets concentrate on that and stop the racial (country & political- wise) bashing.
First off, Relax. Second, I'm of Chinese descent, both parents. My comments were clearly tongue in cheek, an exaggerated description of the situation in BOTH Canada and China, not meant to be factually accurate, the word racial or its other playable words ie- racism do not apply.

Occasionally threads on message boards will deviate from it's original topic.

***Kingston Update*** (24 Nov 2014)

I just popped in about an hour ago. Fencing guys were finishing up, tearing down the chain link and putting up the last of the wooden fencing around the cabinets, and giving everything a pressure wash. They are totally done now. Install looks great to me, although this is the only one I have seen in person.

Signs say "TESLA Electric Vehicle Parking"

Transformer has been delivered but not yet installed (over by the side of Boston Pizza)

View attachment 64455
I'm going to laugh (and cry for you guys that really need this SC) if somebody forgot to order the precast concrete base for the transformer at the Kingston SC.

Barrie looks almost complete. Anybody see if anything else is needed? The nameplate is from the cabinet beside the superchargers. They may have trenched under road from transformer across the street (see orange pilon in last pic).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Barrie looks almost complete. Anybody see if anything else is needed? The nameplate is from the cabinet beside the superchargers. They may have trenched under road from transformer across the street (see orange pilon in last pic).

View attachment 68021

View attachment 68024

That name plate is from the Step Down, Buck, Auto Transformer to convert the Canadian standard 600 Volt service to 480 Volt service that the Tesla Supercharger cabinets expect.

That last picture is almost certainly the transformer pad for the Utility Transformer.

That name plate is from the Step Down, Buck, Auto Transformer to convert the Canadian standard 600 Volt service to 480 Volt service that the Tesla Supercharger cabinets expect.

Just chiming in to mention that the 600V service thing is not a national standard. Perhaps the majority of the country uses this system but certain provinces, like here in Saskatchewan, are already on 480V.

... There are 3 [Superchargers] under construction in the west, 4 in the east...

How many are under active construction and how many are stalled due to Tesla waiting on utilities or administrative bodies?

No work has been done in Drummondville for over a month. It should become apparent this week whether the halt was for the holidays, or for the entire Winter.

I was browsing the Tesla Forum and noted that one of the members proposed that Tesla provide a Sticky for each SC, with specific information about reasons for delays and degree of progress. I love the idea, it would give us an opportunity to identify causes for delays and potentially apply pressure to push things along. I am sure Tesla owners are a resourceful bunch who could assist getting SCs up and running.

Agreed. basically the only time I check the forums, just prior to frequent trips b/t Pembroke & the GTA & North Bay. It's -25 here today, last trip through slop, freezing rain, etc covered te car in .25" of heavy frozen crud, averaging 300Wh/km, not fun. Kingston and Barrie are so essential to open stat! My wife just shakes her head every time i text her to tell her i'll be delayed just a few more hours as I charge and/or add extra margin. This is not the enviable ownership experience I had in mind. Doug?

Agreed. basically the only time I check the forums, just prior to frequent trips b/t Pembroke & the GTA & North Bay. It's -25 here today, last trip through slop, freezing rain, etc covered te car in .25" of heavy frozen crud, averaging 300Wh/km, not fun. Kingston and Barrie are so essential to open stat! My wife just shakes her head every time i text her to tell her i'll be delayed just a few more hours as I charge and/or add extra margin. This is not the enviable ownership experience I had in mind. Doug?
This does sound painful!

Certain to add to your frustration, the Kingston location is unchanged since before the holidays. I just swung by this morning. Sorry to not have better news.

This does sound painful!

Certain to add to your frustration, the Kingston location is unchanged since before the holidays. I just swung by this morning. Sorry to not have better news.

Found out today that there are several totally installed superchargers in the states that have been waiting several months for hookups. SEVERAL MONTHS! That means there is a day's work between these installed things working and not working.

Kingston is February if we're lucky. I'm willing to bet March 15 now.

Well I drove Ottawa-Toronto without the Kingston Supercharger powering up a few days later. Given that Montreal is still offline it seems my curse has gotten worse.

Very surprised that Montreal isn't functioning yet because they were working very hard at the ground when I went for my service on december 16th... probably because of the holiday period...

By the way, if you need charging in Montréal, I have my outdoor 14-50 outlet... PM me [email protected] if you wanna use it... I'm downtown near Bell Center...

Found out today that there are several totally installed superchargers in the states that have been waiting several months for hookups. SEVERAL MONTHS! That means there is a day's work between these installed things working and not working.

Kingston is February if we're lucky. I'm willing to bet March 15 now.

It all depends on the local utility and inspection authority. In some locations, all has been completed in days. In other locations, these steps have taken months. Most places in the U.S. seem to take weeks for these last steps.

Stopped by Woodstock this evening and found this:

20150106_220323169_iOS.jpg

The Leaf driver may have thought he was "entitled" to park in an EV spot, but the pickup was actually blocking two stalls because of how far it was sticking out. The other bank of stalls runs at a right angle to these in the direction I was standing.

When I returned, it was even worse:

20150106_230135453_iOS.jpg

Another car pulled in beside the Audi to the right of me and I'll bet my spot was ICE'd soon after I left.

Kind of disappointing.