Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all depends on the local utility and inspection authority. In some locations, all has been completed in days. In other locations, these steps have taken months. Most places in the U.S. seem to take weeks for these last steps.

Re: Kingston...collective research suggests that the local utilitity is not at fault. To my understanding, this is not a municipal issue either (ie permitting). Correct me if I'm wrong, this is an equipment issue...thus a project management issue...by Tesla or one of their contractors. Does everyone agree? If so, this is where pressure needs to continue to be applied-Tesla. Top management may not fully understand the impact of these regional delays (they have a lot on their plate)...and the significant impact to their most important customer base...all of you pioneers.

I salute all you early adopters. Thanks for supporting Tesla and paving the way to a better future for everyone.

Stopped by Woodstock this evening and found this:
Kind of disappointing.

I'd suggest that anyone who sees this sort of thing email the pictures to [email protected]. The problem is partly due to a poor choice of signage on their part, and Tesla's response when I pointed that out (before the poor signs were installed in Kingston) was "We closely monitor each site and will take steps to help prevent blocked charging stalls if a recurring problem arises." The only way we can convince them to fix the signs is to keep showing them how the current signs don't work.

Stopped by Woodstock this evening and found this:
(..photos..)
Kind of disappointing.

Kind of ridiculous, actually. Who would do that? Is there really no other parking? How can someone be completely oblivious to a lit-up red TESLA sign right in front of their nose? Wouldn't they at least be curious as to what that thing was?

Even if some of the spots allow non-Tesla parking, if I was not driving a Tesla I would be considerate and not park there.

I don't get it. But then again, there are people who will sit in their cars with the engine idling for ten minutes or longer, so... yeah, best not to think about it.

To my understanding, this is not a municipal issue either (ie permitting). Correct me if I'm wrong, this is an equipment issue...thus a project management issue...by Tesla or one of their contractors. Does everyone agree?

Certainly not a municipal permitting issue or it wouldn't have got this far. I haven't been following closely, but it could be a problem with Utilities Kingston (the electric utility) needing a piece of equipment to connect or something with Tesla. Originally it looked like the utility was going to supply 277/480 volts directly eliminating the need for Tesla to supply the step down transformer. Maybe that was a bad assumption and the utility is only able to supply the Canadian 347/600 volts and now Tesla needs to procure the step down transformer that you see at other Canadian sites. This is all just speculation on my part.

I think it's easy for us EV drivers to forget that a big portion of the population, maybe a majority, have never even thought about EVs. So I tend to think that this is mostly people being unaware, not intentionally inconsiderate. If they even noticed the charging stalls and little red Tesla signs, the thinking was probably "I don't know what this is, but it doesn't say I can't park here". If the spaces had standard No Parking signs saying "Except for electric vehicle charging", then I'd call people who ignore that inconsiderate, and they shouldn't be surprised if they get ticketed and towed.

Kind of ridiculous, actually. Who would do that? Is there really no other parking?

There's actually plenty of other parking at this site BUT the Superchargers are located in what might be considered a "prime" spot closest to the building. It would have been better all around to locate them at the far end of the parking lot but I understand this is the spot the property owner wanted Tesla to use. Still no excuse.

If they even noticed the charging stalls and little red Tesla signs, the thinking was probably "I don't know what this is, but it doesn't say I can't park here". If the spaces had standard No Parking signs saying "Except for electric vehicle charging", then I'd call people who ignore that inconsiderate, and they shouldn't be surprised if they get ticketed and towed.

What do the current signs actually say? At other sites they usually say "Tesla charging only" or something to that effect.

I think you give people too much credit. Most just play the risk-management game and figure that their risk of punishment is low enough to justify blocking a reserved space. I see people do it with handicapped spaces all the time.

IMO, a reasonable person would look at the various Tesla badging, think to themselves "I don't know what a Tesla is but I know I don't have one" and not park in the space.

Certainly not a municipal permitting issue or it wouldn't have got this far. I haven't been following closely, but it could be a problem with Utilities Kingston (the electric utility) needing a piece of equipment to connect or something with Tesla. Originally it looked like the utility was going to supply 277/480 volts directly eliminating the need for Tesla to supply the step down transformer. Maybe that was a bad assumption and the utility is only able to supply the Canadian 347/600 volts and now Tesla needs to procure the step down transformer that you see at other Canadian sites. This is all just speculation on my part.

The plans show a "Proposed Vista 3-way HV switch and CT metering cabinet (by utility)" that goes between the "Existing 2MVA utility transformer" and the "Proposed 750kVA Utility transformer 480/277V, 3 phase, 4W (by utility)". It appears that the new transformer has been at the site since November, so could that cabinet (or something that goes inside it) be the "custom component" that is apparently on order, or is that pretty standard equipment? I find it hard to imagine what kind of equipment could be needed that can't be tracked down from somewhere in the world within a week or two.

IMO, it's even worse that a Leaf blocked the spot because they should know just how annoying it is to need a charge only to have the equipment obstructed by someone who isn't/can't charge there.

It would seem some bigger signs or stiffer penalties are necessary at this location.
I charged at Woodstock about two weeks ago and there was a leaf parked in that very spot. Can't say for sure but I think it was the same car. If so, the owner could be a regular at that hotel or possibly the fitness Center. He/she will eventually be notified.

What do the current signs actually say? At other sites they usually say "Tesla charging only" or something to that effect.

Took this a couple of weeks ago when Woodstock first opened. All stalls have the same sign:

IMG_0117.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The plans show a "Proposed Vista 3-way HV switch and CT metering cabinet (by utility)" that goes between the "Existing 2MVA utility transformer" and the "Proposed 750kVA Utility transformer 480/277V, 3 phase, 4W (by utility)". It appears that the new transformer has been at the site since November, so could that cabinet (or something that goes inside it) be the "custom component" that is apparently on order, or is that pretty standard equipment? I find it hard to imagine what kind of equipment could be needed that can't be tracked down from somewhere in the world within a week or two.

CTs (current transformers) used as part of the metering equipment can sometimes have long lead times. Usually, the CTs are supplied by the utility to the cabinet manufacturer so that they can be installed at the factory. Maybe some component failed a hi-pot test and had to be re-ordered??? Again, all guesses on my part. For all we know there might be a defective Supercharger part that Tesla needs to get.

I don't know much about the technical side, but I chased this response down from the utility a while back (Dec 15, 2014):

Just heard back from someone at Utilities Kingston. Their message to me: This is not a Utilities Kingston delay as it is on private property. They are ready to assist when the private property owner is ready to go. Equipment will still need to be ordered by UK, taking approx. 6-8 weeks lead time (this is commensurate with Lance's timeline). UK is not certain where the delay exists...with the property owner or a Tesla contractor.

As an aside...one of the engineers at UK is a huge Tesla fan and very excited to see this project completed.

Last edited:
Very surprised that Montreal isn't functioning yet because they were working very hard at the ground when I went for my service on december 16th... probably because of the holiday period...

Even if the physical work is finished, apparently it takes the CSEM six weeks to approve a light bulb change. As you say, tack on two weeks for the holidays and be happy if the "completed" site is online in February.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're reading the signage that way because you know what the spaces are for, but unfortunately the key words "charging" and "only" are rarely used. In fact, I drove to the Pacific and back and with one exception only saw "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking," and "Tesla General Parking" signs.

The odd case was a four-stall site in a mall close to Denver with an "Active Charging only, 30-minute limit" sign.

I think you give people too much credit. Most just play the risk-management game and figure that their risk of punishment is low enough to justify blocking a reserved space. I see people do it with handicapped spaces all the time.
I agree people assess the risk and that's why we need to increase the risk with standard No Parking signs. They wouldn't deter everyone, but most people wouldn't risk a ticket or tow if the sign told them that was the risk. The way it is now, they can rightly say nothing said they can't park there, and enforcement isn't possible so the risk is zero.

I think you're reading the signage that way because you know what the spaces are for, but unfortunately the key words "charging" and "only" are rarely used. In fact, I drove to the Pacific and back and with one exception only saw "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking," and "Tesla General Parking" signs.

The way it is now, they can rightly say nothing said they can't park there, and enforcement isn't possible so the risk is zero.

I'm not sure I follow the logic that people must be specifically told they cannot park there in order to not do so. If the sign says "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking" and I don't have a Tesla Electric Vehicle, the assumption is that I cannot park there. Except in the "General Parking" case wherein I actually am allowed to park there.

Otherwise people would always be driving in things like bus lanes. After all, it doesn't say you can't drive there.

There's actually plenty of other parking at this site BUT the Superchargers are located in what might be considered a "prime" spot closest to the building. It would have been better all around to locate them at the far end of the parking lot but I understand this is the spot the property owner wanted Tesla to use. Still no excuse.

I still think it's pretty silly since none of the parking is all that close to the building at all.

I think that LEAF was there on the opening day of the SC's. They swung by shortly after I got there and took some pictures.

This all gets me thinking we should come up with a standard letter/note to place on the offenders windshields to educate them about the issue. Then we could print out a bunch and leave them in the glovebox...

I'm not sure I follow the logic that people must be specifically told they cannot park there in order to not do so. If the sign says "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking" and I don't have a Tesla Electric Vehicle, the assumption is that I cannot park there. Except in the "General Parking" case wherein I actually am allowed to park there.

Otherwise people would always be driving in things like bus lanes. After all, it doesn't say you can't drive there.

For bus lanes, there's a law and they can get a ticket, and anyone who has a driver's license knows that.

Of course I agree that people shouldn't park there and if they think about it and are considerate, they won't, but acknowledging that doesn't fix the problem. There are all kinds of people - idiots who will ignore any kind of sign, people who will only pay attention if they think they'll get ticketed or towed, people who will park elsewhere if they are told not to park there, people who don't really understand the signs but will err on the side of being considerate and won't park there, and then people who know the whole story, i.e. EV drivers. What I'm saying is we need to reduce the number of people parking there, so if we put up proper signs, we'll be down to just the idiots, and I think they are a small minority.