Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be heading to Ottawa next week from Carlisle just west of Milton. Should I drive all the way to Kingston or stop short in Port Hope? Any suggestions would be welcome . In addition I am staying at the Westin in Ottawa, any suggestions on chargers locally ? I have plug share ofcourse but simply looking to get more current info if possible . Thanks all

I'll be heading to Ottawa next week from Carlisle just west of Milton. Should I drive all the way to Kingston or stop short in Port Hope? Any suggestions would be welcome . In addition I am staying at the Westin in Ottawa, any suggestions on chargers locally ? I have plug share ofcourse but simply looking to get more current info if possible . Thanks all

Hello Allan,
I did a similar trip last weekend, starting a Georgetown, ON, which is similar distance to Kingston. I recommend stopping at Port Hope for a quick top up, while you grab a coffee or water at the local Tim Hortons. Then I stop in Kingston for a short lunch or dinner. In this way, you can avoid doing a range charge, and really don't have to worry about energy consumption. I have done the trip several times before the Port Hope supercharger, but I did have to watch my consumption more carefully.

In Ottawa, I usually stay at the Brookstreet hotel in Kanata which has 2 Tesla HPWC and 2 J1772 chargers. This makes for a stress free Tesla road trip experience. There are a couple of spots downtown, but I don't know of any non-hotel location where you can charge overnight. If you don't know where you are going to charge in Ottawa, and how much charge you are going to get, I'd recommend doing a full range charge in Kingston and travelling to Ottawa via the back roads (road 10 via Westport and Perth) to minimize your consumption. Depending on your usage in Ottawa, you may be able to get back to Kingston without any additional charging.

Good luck with the trip.

David

Hello Allan,
I did a similar trip last weekend, starting a Georgetown, ON, which is similar distance to Kingston. I recommend stopping at Port Hope for a quick top up, while you grab a coffee or water at the local Tim Hortons. Then I stop in Kingston for a short lunch or dinner. In this way, you can avoid doing a range charge, and really don't have to worry about energy consumption. I have done the trip several times before the Port Hope supercharger, but I did have to watch my consumption more carefully.

In Ottawa, I usually stay at the Brookstreet hotel in Kanata which has 2 Tesla HPWC and 2 J1772 chargers. This makes for a stress free Tesla road trip experience. There are a couple of spots downtown, but I don't know of any non-hotel location where you can charge overnight. If you don't know where you are going to charge in Ottawa, and how much charge you are going to get, I'd recommend doing a full range charge in Kingston and travelling to Ottawa via the back roads (road 10 via Westport and Perth) to minimize your consumption. Depending on your usage in Ottawa, you may be able to get back to Kingston without any additional charging.

Good luck with the trip.

David
Thanks for the insight , I'll let you know how things go .

Top off at Port Hope and then head north to Hwy 7 and take that to Ottawa. Much nicer road and very scenic compared to the 401.
The Brookstreet hotel in Kanata is where I charge with their free use Tesla chargers in the garage (3 hours).
No need to go via Kingston.
Once the SC is installed in Madoc, it will be a super breeze to travel from Toronto to Ottawa via the 7!

What does Port Huron have to do with chargers in Ottawa? The last I checked it was still in the US and not in Eastern Canada which is the focus of this thread. And I don't think that Tesla should assume that anyone in Sarnia can just hop over to Port Huron for a charge, just like they shouldn't assume that folks in Niagara Falls, ON can hop over to the Buffalo Supercharger. An international border with customs is a major impediment.

Yes, but Teslas get special treatment at the border.

Not that I've noticed.

In the summer, you can drive from Eastern Toronto to Ottawa direct, without charging, if you take it easy speed-wise and use RR10 (Perth Road) instead of the 416.

Superchargers are much faster when the car is empty rather than full. So personally, I'd suggest directly driving to Kingston, charge up while having lunch/dinner, and then head up 10 to Ottawa. It's a pretty drive and very little traffic, and it takes about the same amount of time as 416 which is longer but faster - and therefore takes a lot more power.

Reactions: RichardC
There are a couple of spots downtown, but I don't know of any non-hotel location where you can charge overnight. If you don't know where you are going to charge in Ottawa, and how much charge you are going to get, I'd recommend doing a full range charge in Kingston and travelling to Ottawa via the back roads (road 10 via Westport and Perth) to minimize your consumption. Depending on your usage in Ottawa, you may be able to get back to Kingston without any additional charging.

The charger at my office is available 24/7, 200V 70A J1772.

Several of the Best Westerns have J1772 chargers. Less expensive, though not as nice as Brookstreet.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Just did a long weekend in Toronto. I'll write more on my blog later-- but here's the TL/DR version.

Grimsby to Erie easily done in fully weighed down S 85. Even with detour through Niagara-on-the-Lake and some sightseeing along the way, we rolled into Erie with over 70 miles range left.

Super8 Hotel across the street from Supercharger in Grimsby is a decent enough place to stay, with hot breakfast available. Request room on the lakeside and NOT above the lobby if you can. There's a small pool there as well.

Attachments

• 1-matt iphone 6-11-2016 5-44-046.jpg
    1-matt iphone 6-11-2016 5-44-046.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 62
Just did a long weekend in Toronto. I'll write more on my blog later-- but here's the TL/DR version.

Grimsby to Erie easily done in fully weighed down S 85. Even with detour through Niagara-on-the-Lake and some sightseeing along the way, we rolled into Erie with over 70 miles range left.

Super8 Hotel across the street from Supercharger in Grimsby is a decent enough place to stay, with hot breakfast available. Request room on the lakeside and NOT above the lobby if you can. There's a small pool there as well.

Also, the host site (Casablanca Inn) has two good restaurants...the Panorama restaurant on the 8th floor overlooking the lake is very nice...and of course, the Inn has nice lodgings and a pool as well.

• Informative
Not that I've noticed.

In the summer, you can drive from Eastern Toronto to Ottawa direct, without charging, if you take it easy speed-wise and use RR10 (Perth Road) instead of the 416.

Superchargers are much faster when the car is empty rather than full. So personally, I'd suggest directly driving to Kingston, charge up while having lunch/dinner, and then head up 10 to Ottawa. It's a pretty drive and very little traffic, and it takes about the same amount of time as 416 which is longer but faster - and therefore takes a lot more power.

I agree. I have done north west Toronto to Ottawa directly using Hwy 7 in the summer a number of times in the days before Superchargers (but a strong west wind can make the return trip challenging)!

On my trip last week, I drove to Kingston on the 401, charged during breakfast, drove cross-country on 15 through Smith Falls to Hwy 7 and arrived with sufficient range that I could have turned around and driven back to Kingston.

There are a number of charging options in Ottawa (in addition to the Best Western hotels). You can get two hours of free charging at City Hall, there are four J1772 plugs under the National Arts Centre (the exterior is under reconstruction at the moment) and J1772 charging with parking at Minto. Don't overlook 120 VAC receptacles in the hotel garages, which can top you up if you are staying a couple of days.

On the way back, I went cross-country to Port Hope and took on a quick charge there before heading home.

As we learned during our trips to Florida. The car charges much faster on an empty battery, so we typically plan to arrive at the Supercharger with no more than 50 to 60 km of range in order to minimize the trip time.

• Helpful