Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure it's not Woodstock, N.B. instead of Houlton.
Actually, no I am not sure ~ apologies.

Woodstock would actually be far better after a Bangor (likely at the Bangor mall) and RDL SC. Hard to tell with the Tesla map, but assumed Houlton only because of the US-centric nature of Tesla, and the likely number of Tesla cars in the Maritimes. (I am New Brunswick and you'd swear I was the only Tesla here...) I'd prefer Bangor and Woodstock, and hope Bangor is first!

Actually, no I am not sure ~ apologies.

Woodstock would actually be far better after a Bangor (likely at the Bangor mall) and RDL SC. Hard to tell with the Tesla map, but assumed Houlton only because of the US-centric nature of Tesla, and the likely number of Tesla cars in the Maritimes. (I am New Brunswick and you'd swear I was the only Tesla here...) I'd prefer Bangor and Woodstock, and hope Bangor is first!

I'm relatively confident it will be in Woodstock, NB, not in Houlton, ME.

The argument for Houlton makes little sense:

1. Where would the supercharger enable anyone to go in the USA? Not to be condescending, but there are few enough locations in the Maritimes that justify a supercharger--certainly that argument is multiplied for destinations in northern Maine. There just aren't any large population centres there, therefore presumably no volume of private traffic heading to northern Maine that is not also going to Canada.

2. If you're driving either to or from the Maritime provinces on the Transcanada Highway, on the other hand, you would need to cross an international border to charge if the station was in Houlton.

3. There is no similar highway (e.g. an interstate) in northern Maine carrying US-only "through traffic" that would justify a US-centric supercharger.

The argument for Woodstock makes much more sense:

1. It allows easy charging for Canada-only trips.

2. It is equally convenient for US-Canada or Canada-US trips as a Houlton location would be because you can charge before or after the border, if you're crossing the border anyway.

P.S. I really do mean no slight to the Maritimes (or Maine). I'm from NS, although I've been living elsewhere for a decade. My Model S arrives in about a month, and I'm already spending a significant portion of my days poring over maps, trying to figure out how to get that beast to Halifax. So count me among those who emphatically agree that we need a supercharger in Bangor AND Woodstock! (Which still won't get me to Halifax, but will at least get me to my sister's and mother's places in Moncton, where I can justify an overnight stay to recharge.) Or Quebec City + Riviere-du-Loup + Woodstock, but the R-du-L project is a joke played on us by Tesla second only to the Crescent City, CA location (click the "Charts" link and scroll to the bottom of the page), it seems.

Reactions: Jaff
I emailed the SC team a few days ago about Parry Sound. The said they are about to break ground.
Time frame was 4-6 weeks but we know it can be longer or shorter.
I'm not clear on the exact location though.

Why the heck would Tesla prioritize Parry Sound? No offence, but there are a million people in NS alone, probably close to 2 million in the Maritimes--and you can't get there by supercharger. How many people are north of Parry Sound? One charger does nothing to get anyone through northern Ontario to Winnipeg so...

• Love
Reactions: Jaff and RiverBrick
I'm relatively confident it will be in Woodstock, NB, not in Houlton, ME.

The argument for Houlton makes little sense:

1. Where would the supercharger enable anyone to go in the USA? Not to be condescending, but there are few enough locations in the Maritimes that justify a supercharger--certainly that argument is multiplied for destinations in northern Maine. There just aren't any large population centres there, therefore presumably no volume of private traffic heading to northern Maine that is not also going to Canada.

2. If you're driving either to or from the Maritime provinces on the Transcanada Highway, on the other hand, you would need to cross an international border to charge if the station was in Houlton.

3. There is no similar highway (e.g. an interstate) in northern Maine carrying US-only "through traffic" that would justify a US-centric supercharger.

The argument for Woodstock makes much more sense:

1. It allows easy charging for Canada-only trips.

2. It is equally convenient for US-Canada or Canada-US trips as a Houlton location would be because you can charge before or after the border, if you're crossing the border anyway.

P.S. I really do mean no slight to the Maritimes (or Maine). I'm from NS, although I've been living elsewhere for a decade. My Model S arrives in about a month, and I'm already spending a significant portion of my days poring over maps, trying to figure out how to get that beast to Halifax. So count me among those who emphatically agree that we need a supercharger in Bangor AND Woodstock! (Which still won't get me to Halifax, but will at least get me to my sister's and mother's places in Moncton, where I can justify an overnight stay to recharge.) Or Quebec City + Riviere-du-Loup + Woodstock, but the R-du-L project is a joke played on us by Tesla second only to the Crescent City, CA location (click the "Charts" link and scroll to the bottom of the page), it seems.

I agree with you 100%. Bangor, Woodstock and what then, Moncton maybe?

But, my comment was simply a reflection of how Tesla is prioritizing their larger US Market, and the fact that the Maine government has just announced a big push for EV.

As a Saint John NB kid, I just drove from South Carolina where we now live back home and had an amazing supercharger trip until Bangor... Thanks goodness for the Nissan team there with a Chademo station and my Chademo adapter! Not looking forward to the return back and hoping to make it to Augusta ME in a few weeks... But I am sure Tesla will get there and am so happy to have this 'problem '!

Last edited:
Why the heck would Tesla prioritize Parry Sound? No offence, but there are a million people in NS alone, probably close to 2 million in the Maritimes--and you can't get there by supercharger. How many people are north of Parry Sound? One charger does nothing to get anyone through northern Ontario to Winnipeg so...

So, they're also doing Huntsville, ON.

Tesla expanding supercharger network into Ontario's cottage country

Connecting people with money in Toronto to their cottages?

I agree with you 100%. Bangor, Woodstock and what then, Moncton maybe?

But, my comment was simply a reflection of how Tesla is prioritizing their larger US Market, and the fact that the Maine government has just announced a big push for EV.

As a Saint John NB kid, I just drove from South Carolina where we now live back home and had an amazing supercharger trip until Bangor... Thanks goodness for the Nissan team there with a Chademo station and my Chademo adapter! Not looking forward to the return back and hoping to make it to Augusta ME in a few weeks... But I am sure Tesla will get there and am so happy to have this 'problem '!

I stand corrected about the Bangor site. But it appears to be in early stages and at a far better location:

Supercharger - Brewer, Maine

So, they're also doing Huntsville, ON.

Tesla expanding supercharger network into Ontario's cottage country

Connecting people with money in Toronto to their cottages?
Huntsville (and Sudbury and North Bay) have been on the map for at least a year so that should not surprise anyone. Parry Sound is not currently on the 2016 map and has never been on the map as far as I can determine, unless they put the Sudbury pin way to the north.

In terms of why put these in Ontario cottage country vs the Maritimes - I am guessing it is because there are quite a few Teslas in Ontario today and that number will keep growing. I don't imagine that there are all that many Teslas in the maritime today so there would be less demand for supercharging, at least until the Model 3 starts shipping in volumes. But that could be several years. Note that Tesla is still having trouble producing the Model X at anywhere near the projected volumes.

I may get slammed for saying this, but I would also hazard to guess that people spending about $150k on a vehicle are more prone to fly to the Maritimes than to drive. I usually go out to Cape Breton a couple of times a year but I wouldn't think of driving myself. But it would be nice to be able to rent a Tesla at YHZ and use destination charging.

Reactions: RAM_Eh

There's about 600K people north of Parry Sound in the eastern part of northern Ontario and already quite a few Teslas. Between those folks and the mass of wealthy cottage owners that's plenty. And critically, all of those folks are in driving range of the existing Toronto service centers. Owning a Tesla in an area without a SC would be tough.

I do agree that the maritimes is overdue. But first you need a SC in Halifax.

I'm bewildered as well as to why construction hasn't started in Rivière-du-Loup. Due to all construction work halting in Quebec from July 24 to August 7 for vacation, I don't see how this site can open this Summer. (For practical purposes I'm considering Summer ending with Labour day weekend.)
Stayed overnight at the Hotel Universel to charge on the way to NS. Asked at the desk. Still not even a scratch in the dirt towards the mythical Riviere du Loup Supercharger. Sometimes I think it more likely to see a sighting of the Loch Ness Monster in my lifetime than the R du Loup Supercharger:(

Reactions: 5YJSA
There really are only 3 places that the Tesla planned supercharger would make sense in Huntsville, ON. Here is one of them with pictures of what looks to me like a possible early start to supercharger construction? I have no confirmation and this is purely speculation on my part. There was a crew doing trenching down the street but I asked one of the workers and he said they were putting in a gas line. He did say the crew unrelated to them was at the site in the mall parking lot in the morning. I saw no transformer in the vicinity though. The address is 70 King William St.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg