Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone attempted a road trip to PEI? I think the furthest Supercharger is Rivière-du-Loup in PQ then you have to rely on L2 and slower to get to Charlottetown.

My preferred route: Ottawa -> Magog (Lunch) -> Bangor, ME -> St. Andrews NB (overnight Rossmount Inn) -> Moncton (30 minute top up at Tim Hortons) -> PEI

In both directions I drove conservatively between St. Andrews and PEI, drafting trucks or staying below 110 km/h.

If you have or can borrow a CHAdeMO adapter, the fastest all-Canada route to PEI may be to go RDL --> Electric Circuit 40 kW CHAdeMO in Pointe-à-la-Croix. There's also 64A HPWC there, so once the CHAdeMO session starts tapering off you can switch to L2 for a full charge while finishing dinner. You will then probably need a L2 stop at some point over the final 448 km, but just for a boost, not for a full charge.

However, the quickest route now is likely through Maine. [Edit: as already mentioned above]

I think chances are high that there will be a Supercharger in the Woodstock, NB area by this time next year (one-year late as per Tesla's overly optimistic maps). However, I am fairly pessimistic about any other Atlantic Province Superchargers coming before 2018. Just my opinion.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
I've driven Toronto to PEI and back twice since June and will do it again next weekend. Totally doable in good weather and assuming an overnight to charge in NB. The fast charging situation is terrible and if you want to preserve your sanity in NS, you'll need a CHAdeMO adapter as mentioned.

I'll try the Magog-Brewer route this time, weather dependent. The long range forecast doesn't look great for either that route or the Quebec-NB route, so we'll see!

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and Jaff
Has anyone attempted a road trip to PEI? I think the furthest Supercharger is Rivière-du-Loup in PQ then you have to rely on L2 and slower to get to Charlottetown.

In November with temps 5-10 degrees celsius: Did Ottawa to Moncton with my P85
Ottawa to Magog 320 km's (In the winter because of a 25 - 40% drop in range, I suggest go via Cornwall SC - It's a little off the highway)
Magog to Brewer is 340 km's - I stopped off at the Sugarloaf mountain resort as they have a L2 right at the entrance to increase range enough to make it. They have a nice restaurant. Drive from Magog to Sugarloaf is beautiful and smooth. We did an overnight at the hotel.
Brewer to PEI is 600 km's so as rypalmer has suggested, do an overnight at hotel with a level 2 in N.B.

If you have or can borrow a CHAdeMO adapter, the fastest all-Canada route to PEI may be to go RDL --> Electric Circuit 40 kW CHAdeMO in Pointe-à-la-Croix. There's also 64A HPWC there, so once the CHAdeMO session starts tapering off you can switch to L2 for a full charge while finishing dinner. You will then probably need a L2 stop at some point over the final 448 km, but just for a boost, not for a full charge.

However, the quickest route now is likely through Maine. [Edit: as already mentioned above]

I think chances are high that there will be a Supercharger in the Woodstock, NB area by this time next year (one-year late as per Tesla's overly optimistic maps). However, I am fairly pessimistic about any other Atlantic Province Superchargers coming before 2018. Just my opinion.

Did this route in the Summer before RDL came on line. I joined the Quebec Tesla Owners for $40 which allowed me to borrow their adaptor. There was a $500.00 deposit, The gentleman dropped it off at my hotel. Great service. On the way back I dropped it off at another members house. This was just off the highway. The following day I received my $500.00 back. Very painless. Obtain a Circuit Electrique card for $10.00 and it was a very easy and pleasant experience. Many fast DC chargers along the way through Quebec.

Reactions: notsoice
Several Sugarloaf patrons wish there was an L2, but it is in fact an HPWC.

There is a second HPWC next to the police station in the base village. Not sure how people are supposed to get to it though, as there is a gate to negotiate to get to it.

I was under the assumption the Tesla High Power Wall Connector was in fact considered a Level 2 charger. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: Jaff
I don't care about the other types. This is the Supercharger thread and there has been no development since the summer on any more SC in Eastern Canada. The 2016 map is being overly optimistic as we have 3 weeks to go.

Situation normal. They've never come close to achieving what the map showed in previous years. Sometime around February they'll move the goal posts (i.e. when they get around to updating the out-of-date map), and we'll continue waiting.

You have to remember that they're at the mercy of finding and negotiating sites, permitting, etc.

I was under the assumption the Tesla High Power Wall Connector was in fact considered a Level 2 charger. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you are technically correct but when the term L2 charger is used people normally think a generic charger that is brand agnostic. An HPWC will only work with Teslas, and not even all Teslas at that. But an HPWC is better if it is running full out as L2 chargers rarely give you 80A @ 240V.