Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So was supercharging both ways to and from kingston on Thursday and experienced this at Port Hope...

I was plugged into charger 1a - It gave me one of the fastest charges I've ever seen at these things at 120 KW charging rate....was like this for a few mins and then suddenly dropped down to 30KW (Battery was still <20% charged at this point)....eventually slowly creeped back up and stabilized at just under 60KW charging rate.

I unplugged and switched to 2a - Started off nicely, around 110kw...after a few mins, went down to 90kw, and then after my battery was about 40% charged, it went down to 60 KW charging rate again...

Tried to do a switch to 3a, and it stayed at 60Kw charging rate...so I just let it charge...

IS this normal?

It will probably go into new locations. No sense removing an old site just to upgrade it when there are so many gaps in the current SC network.
It's really odd. They're still producing SC stations with "old" 120kW chargers and non-pull through stalls. They've got lots of work to do.

Wonder how long before we see one of these new Super Duper Chargers installed in Canada? They will need to be backward compatible with the current fleet. Wonder if many of the existing locations could handle the power to be upgraded?
They will need to exist first. Also, that was quite a hyperbolic article... "off grid" smh.. good luck powering even a very small Supercharger with a solar array on site. Far too capital intensive to bother, for starters.

Reactions: mrElbe
I also don't think they will be backwards compatible. At least not with the same plug. I think people will need to tone down their expectations for the next few years. It will probably only be ~500kW max but shared between 4 stalls. The only vehicles that will be able to use the full 500kW will probably be semis or long range pickup/utility trucks with > 200kWh packs (ie. not passenger cars as we will probably never see a passenger car with > 125kWh packs).

2 charges an hour? Are you kidding? I've been through Red Deer a fair bit myself and according to my Dad who works nearby, the chargers are idle a good part of the day every day. And that's on a stretch of road that sees a relatively lot of Tesla traffic.
I think Swift Current will probably only see 2 Teslas a day MAX for the first year of operation on average.