Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone heading through Renfrew over the holidays? Want to keep an eye out for supercharger-like construction?

I have been doing more route planning for the eventual arrival of our Standard Range Model 3. Obviously the continuing supercharger expansion will help those of us with smaller batteries. The potential Renfrew location opens up a huge area for family road trips (especially in winter) for our Model 3. Very excited for that possibility! 6-12 months (hopefully) to go!

Anyone heading through Renfrew over the holidays? Want to keep an eye out for supercharger-like construction?

Supercharging is just one option, you could charge 5 minutes away at this DC fast charging station for example, or the other hundreds of DC stations popping up:
PlugShare Web v2

The CHAdeMO adapter is cheap compared to the Model 3 long range battery upgrade cost!

The CHAdeMO adapter is cheap compared to the Model 3 long range battery upgrade cost!

Well said. I do plan on getting a CHAdeMO adapter. I'm assuming they will work with the Model 3. I do however want to avoid any KSI stations as they seem to be pretty expensive and are limited to 30 kW. I also like how superchargers are multi-bay.

The CHAdeMO adapter will be excellent for any travel through Québec though!

I wish these new Toronto Superchargers will go online already. I have to go from Oakville, to North York, then Waterloo. On a full charge, I can just make the round trip according to evtripplanner.com but it sure would be nice to have a charging location along the way. In fact I will drive right by the North York location today. Instead, I will have to make a detour to the dreaded (and always crowded) Lawrence SC spot instead. I'll lose time on the detour, wait and return. Oh well - early adoption has it pitfalls. I guess it could be worse with thousands of Model 3's running around also.

I know what you mean about early adoption - it was a pain to charge for 3 1/2 hours in a restaurant in Kingston before there were any superchargers in Canada! Or ask Doug_G about campgrounds being the only option. I guess it's all relative. Once all those Toronto area SCs go online, we will all (myself included) accept them as normal and move on to complaining about the lack of superchargers on the Trans-Canada Highway and out to the maritimes.

I know what you mean about early adoption - it was a pain to charge for 3 1/2 hours in a restaurant in Kingston before there were any superchargers in Canada! Or ask Doug_G about campgrounds being the only option. I guess it's all relative. Once all those Toronto area SCs go online, we will all (myself included) accept them as normal and move on to complaining about the lack of superchargers on the Trans-Canada Highway and out to the maritimes.

We'll always find something to complain about! Yes, when I got my Roadster there was precisely 1 public J1772 plug in Ontario, and 1 in Quebec. Spending ~4 hours at an RV campground was the only way to drive to Toronto... and that only worked in the summer months because the RV campgrounds close seasonally. Charging a few hours while waiting in a restaurant was an improvement.

Superchargers completely change the experience. Even without the new 2017 superchargers, Model S travel is a breeze in comparison! Things just keep getting better and better.

Reactions: Peter_M and MarcoRP
We'll always find something to complain about! Yes, when I got my Roadster there was precisely 1 public J1772 plug in Ontario, and 1 in Quebec. Spending ~4 hours at an RV campground was the only way to drive to Toronto... and that only worked in the summer months because the RV campgrounds close seasonally. Charging a few hours while waiting in a restaurant was an improvement.

Superchargers completely change the experience. Even without the new 2017 superchargers, Model S travel is a breeze in comparison! Things just keep getting better and better.

That's just awesome. Sorry if this is off topic, but how did you see the whole EV movement panning out at that point? Did you foresee the sort of charging infrastructure we have these days (and associated ease of Tesla travel), or did you see it as a barren wasteland for more decades to come?

As an aspiring Model 3 owner, I owe huge gratitude for your early commitment!

@ChooseGreen - it is inevitable that charging infrastructure will become widespread. This can happen pretty quickly.

Back when gasoline cars were new, there was no infrastructure for them, either. It took a very long time and a lot of money to get the refueling infrastructure for routine travel in place.

I expect the rollout of the EV infrastructure will be much faster. First of all, it's a LOT cheaper to install and operate than the existing gasoline infrastructure. Electricity is already everywhere; we just need appropriate "plugs" to be installed (EVSEs). It will be much more distributed. We will have some large, dedicated facilities like the Superchargers for long-distance travel; but most charging will still be done on lower power stations that will be installed pretty much everywhere.

Reactions: MarcoRP
What North York location? I am pretty sure that so far there is only speculation about Yonge & Shep, Shops at Don Mills or Fairview Mall.

Sorry - meant the Yonge & Shep location.

I went to the Lawrence location - I was 4th in line. Had to wait 30 minutes before I could find a spot. That place is only running 6 of the 8 stalls - for Toronto and all the Tesla's sold there, that's a huge deficiency soon to be addressed.

Tesla is going to be way below promises in delivering SCs for 2017. I will put together a summary over the holidays but so far they have opened two in Ontario in 2017 and they had about 18 on the list for the year. Sudbury should open by year end but it isn't clear if any of the others under construction will be done.

Tesla is going to be way below promises in delivering SCs for 2017. I will put together a summary over the holidays but so far they have opened two in Ontario in 2017 and they had about 18 on the list for the year. Sudbury should open by year end but it isn't clear if any of the others under construction will be done.

I agree. But Vaughan and Markham will be close. The 2017 numbers will certainly be low. But I think by end of Jan it will be looking a lot better.

From what I can tell, some of their contractors seem to be having a lot more trouble than others. Markham is going way slower, and the last report is they had to redig a trench... Whereas others like Vaughan seemed to go in very quickly. I wonder if the construction project management is done in-house by Tesla or sub-contracted.

@wayner On that front, I think we can cut them some slack for stations that are under construction but not open yet.
True but they sure took their time. I don't believe that there was any work done on SCs in Ontario until October. A flurry started after that opportunity but I don't understand why they let so long pass. Hopefully they keep working continuously and once the 2017 batch is done they go right into the 2018 batch. Here in Ontario there would be enough work to keep them busy in Southern Ontario until the snow melts and then they can head North. They won't really have the option of using local crews for the Sudbury-Winnipeg stretch as I don't imagine there is all that much local expertise to hire, except if you got someone based in the Soo.