Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you get all whiny about this: there are some large markets where this is definitely the case. Try driving a Model S out of the "Texas island", for example, or outside St Louis or Cincinnati or, heck, even Boston. Metro St Louis has 2.8 million people. Boston has 4.6 million. Houston alone has over 6 million.

Good coverage takes time.

I disagree ... have you looked at the European maps lately? They are getting pretty good coverage and they have not been in those markets for long. It's been two years that they've been in the Canadian market and we've got diddley squat coverage and mainly just promises and excuses why it's another entities fault when those promises are broken ... over and over again.

I disagree ... have you looked at the European maps lately? They are getting pretty good coverage and they have not been in those markets for long. It's been two years that they've been in the Canadian market and we've got diddley squat coverage and mainly just promises and excuses why it's another entities fault when those promises are broken ... over and over again.

I have to say I'm with you on this one. I've been very patient as have many many others. I understand the delays, happens in every business. But some of this is simply a lack of will or priority surely.

Fun (?) statistics for you Canadian Supercharger-followers: in the past week Tesla has opened 3 Superchargers in the United States, 1 in China, and 11 in Europe. There are now 29 Superchargers in Norway and Sweden, and 38 in Germany and France. China has 33.

Canada: 3.

Let's hope it's more like 14 in Canada within a month or two. Hope has been waiting for a transformer for more than two months, it looks like Kamloops is done but waiting for a transformer, Canmore has started, Kingston looks to be pretty much done but waiting for a transformer, Montreal and Drummondville - no idea, we need an update!

Is this whiny?

I am not whining (Why would I...I don't even own a Tesla, yet), rather I am doing what I can locally to accelerate the SC implementation in my city. There are plenty of Tesla owners in Ontario/Quebec who are unhappy with the SC delays. I am making some suggestions on how to improve the situation...that is all. Happy Tesla owners will ensure success of Tesla's mission statement and that is good for all of us.

We are all on the same page...let's connect some dots in Canada. Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa is clearly THE priority.

Last edited:

In Norway, there soon will be no more space left to add Superchargers! They're everywhere! ;) and 38 built in China in only 8 months... not bad at all!

... There are plenty of Tesla owners in Ontario/Quebec who are unhappy with the SC delays...

I am one of the people disappointed with the wait, but having attended the Montreal store grand opening, it's clear that Tesla Motors is very committed to the Canadian market. I'm not at all sure the Nordiques will return (despite the government investing $450,000,000 on an arena) but by this time next year, I'd be willing to bet the number of Superchargers in Ontario and Quebec will balloon from two to thirteen or more.

I am one of the people disappointed with the wait, but having attended the Montreal store grand opening, it's clear that Tesla Motors is very committed to the Canadian market. I'm not at all sure the Nordiques will return (despite the government investing $450,000,000 on an arena) but by this time next year, I'd be willing to bet the number of Superchargers in Ontario and Quebec will balloon from two to thirteen or more.

That would be great indeed. 13! That means we can visit Gaspé.... possibly Newfoundland.
I've been driving my beater Volvo wagon around in the crazy snow that hit Montreal this week. It handles way better than the Tesla for sure. Need to try the D on my country roads.

It's funny trying to explain to non Tesla people about the merits of the car when they see I've spent almost as much as a house on a car and I can't do a basic commute easily. I so look forward to shutting those people up in the near future... with the Kingston supercharger for starters, but also, to Gaspé where we have family who mock us because they are out of range!

Maybe we need to start crowd funding these chargers.

It's just lack of Tesla owners and proper incentives. What else could it be - does anyone really think they have something against Canada? It's our own fault I'd say. Could there be a government less interested in having better incentives or a more pro-EV environment like Norway, China, etc.? No.

Looking at the map and also speculating, I'd say they have no plans, EVER, to Supercharge any maritime provinces! :D Why would they? The simple country folk around here barely even know about non-horse drawn vehicles let alone futuristic Li-ion power.

Are you counting individual stalls? :tongue:

Very funny. The TM map is only updated once every six months (the idea is for it to be correct on a yearly basis as often as a broken clock is each day). However, all seven of the 2014 Ontario/Quebec sites should be completed by the end of 2015.

Then there are locations coming that don't appear on the main TM map. 1) Montreal Store/Service Center 2) A second site between Toronto and Windsor.

That brings us to nine. A reporter who visited TM's operations in California two months ago listed two additional GTA locations and Quebec City as planned for 2015. He also predicted Montreal, so that lends him some credibility.

http://quebec.autoblog.com/2014/10/...t-montreal-quebec-ontario-voiture-electrique/

That makes 12. Since I'm not superstitious, there will be at least one other "surprise" site for a total of 13+.

It's just lack of Tesla owners and proper incentives. What else could it be - does anyone really think they have something against Canada? It's our own fault I'd say. Could there be a government less interested in having better incentives or a more pro-EV environment like Norway, China, etc.? No.

Looking at the map and also speculating, I'd say they have no plans, EVER, to Supercharge any maritime provinces! :D Why would they? The simple country folk around here barely even know about non-horse drawn vehicles let alone futuristic Li-ion power.

I don't think Tesla has anything against Canada, not at all. But, transformers sitting idle beside SC's that are ready to go (in several locations) is a project management issue and needs to be addressed, IMO.

Ontario and Quebec have some significant EV incentives, relatively speaking. Could we do more? Yes. Is there a thread specifically for this? We should do some brainstorming and put some pressure on our government officials.

I heard from a reliable source that South Burlington, VT is on the way. This is a very important Supercharger Site for Eastern Canada connections to New York and New England. From the center of South Burlington, here are the distances to known Supercharger Sites:

• 212km, 132mi — Cornwall, ON
  • 157km, 097mi — Montréal, QC
  • 195km, 121mi — Drummondville, QC
  • 233km, 145mi — Albany, NY
  • 243km, 151mi — Brattleburo, VT
  • 249km, 155mi — Hooksett, NH

The U.S. distances are a little on the high side, and could make winter travel in a 60 a bit of a challenge. While this is not the shortest route to NYC, it will work for now.

For Supercharged travel between Canada and the U.S., South Burlington, VT, will be a very big milestone!

-----
Cross posted at New New England Supercharger Locations - Page 55

Last edited:

Yes, that would be Australia. They just had their first deliveries and there's already a Supercharger installed.

I heard from a reliable source that South Burlington, VT is on the way. This is a very important Supercharger Site for Eastern Canada connections to New York and New England...
For Supercharged travel between Canada and the U.S., South Burlington, VT, will be a very big milestone!

Very good points and thanks for the update. I think you mean Cornwall instead of Kingston for the 212 km, 132 miles.