Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Vermont and its many utilities are definitely progressive. There is a type of "portable" Supercharger installation that costs less to install. The stations are on platforms, so you don't need to excavate the ground around them. For example, Tesla Motors temporarily supplied Superchargers at the Laguna Seca raceway this Summer. Now, finding a host with sufficient electrical service you can tap into is easier said than done. However, with the support of Vermont's utilities, it should be possible.
View attachment 68895

That is awesome! Didn't know they do that... it would be a big plus (and accelerating the SuC map) if they could provide these at some utilities places...

Why Elon doesn't decide to make it more popular? It would be a really quick fix until the «real» SuC stations would be up and running...

I would be really thrilled if Barrie were operational Wednesday! That's the day that I bring my car home, and it would save me a 2 hour+ pitstop in Parry Sound.
:smile:
You are in Sudbury, aren't you? How much charge would you need from Barrie to get home - would you need to be at 100%? Don't forget that the 90-100% is a slow charge and takes roughly 40 minutes according to Tesla. If you are 100% charged when you leave Toronto you should still be 80ish% in Barrie. And you should probably tell the Tesla guys to charge you up to 100% before you get the car, if you haven't already.

You are in Sudbury, aren't you? How much charge would you need from Barrie to get home - would you need to be at 100%? Don't forget that the 90-100% is a slow charge and takes roughly 40 minutes according to Tesla. If you are 100% charged when you leave Toronto you should still be 80ish% in Barrie. And you should probably tell the Tesla guys to charge you up to 100% before you get the car, if you haven't already.

No... I don't need 100% - unless I speed like crazy. And I've had my fill of speeding tickets a long time ago. It's almost exactly 300 km. That said, I'm not experienced with the car, and for that reason I'm going to be conservative and charge more than I expect I need to.

EV Trip Planner tells me that I need about 67 kwh, at -8C, assuming a P85 & 21 inch tires, consuming 342wh/mile. Until I'm more comfortable, my intent is to modulate my speed to keep it at that average consumption - even if it means I'm the slowest dog on the road. If things are looking bad, there's a 70 amp charger in Parry Sound.

No... I don't need 100% - unless I speed like crazy. And I've had my fill of speeding tickets a long time ago. It's almost exactly 300 km. That said, I'm not experienced with the car, and for that reason I'm going to be conservative and charge more than I expect I need to.

In very cold temperatures that is pushing things a bit. No problem at 0C. At -20C you'll have to slow down. Keep a very close eye on your Projected Range in the Energy App, and don't forget to set the display mode to Average.

EV Trip Planner tells me that I need about 67 kwh, at -8C, assuming a P85 & 21 inch tires, consuming 342wh/mile. Until I'm more comfortable, my intent is to modulate my speed to keep it at that average consumption - even if it means I'm the slowest dog on the road. If things are looking bad, there's a 70 amp charger in Parry Sound.

If there's a charger, then it might be a good idea to plan on a coffee break. A little extra range is great insurance.

Yah, I was going to post up the same thing. Converting 342 Wh/mile to Canuckian, I get about 212 Wh/km. In colder temperatures, you can easily see it spike up to 250 Wh/km. Better to plan an hour stop in Parry Sound (the fastest charger north of Barrie) for coffee/snack/lunch than to have to call for a tow from 20+ km outside your destination.

Yah, I was going to post up the same thing. Converting 342 Wh/mile to Canuckian, I get about 212 Wh/km. In colder temperatures, you can easily see it spike up to 250 Wh/km. Better to plan an hour stop in Parry Sound (the fastest charger north of Barrie) for coffee/snack/lunch than to have to call for a tow from 20+ km outside your destination.

My average over the winter is about 350-380 Wh/km. mind you, short trips, cold soaks and no garage are the main culprits. I'm guessing 270 is more on the mark for long trips.

Yep... paranoia is the order of the day. :)

For your first drive to also be a long-distance drive, that's a good mantra!

- - - Updated - - -

My average over the winter is about 350-380 Wh/km. mind you, short trips, cold soaks and no garage are the main culprits. I'm guessing 270 is more on the mark for long trips.

Admittedly, my experience with long range driving is almost entirely limited to BC mountain passes. Vancouver-Merritt before the Hope SC was opened, for example. All that up and down does take it's toll.

Will also help those that are going from Windsor/London to Mtl or Ott as they can bypass the Toronto SC. They could take the 407, especially with the Eastern extension opening later this year that will tie back in to the 401 around Ajax. It is about 250km from Woodstock to Cobourg.

Is this the current status for ON?
Currently open: Toronto, Woodstock, Cornwall
Opening soon: Barrie, Kingston, Windsor
Other 2015 openings: Burl/Ham, Cobourg
2016: Huntsville, North Bay, Sudbury, Ottawa

Last edited:
Will also help those that are going from Windsor/London to Mtl or Ott as they can bypass the Toronto SC. They could take the 407, especially with the Eastern extension opening later this year that will tie back in to the 401 around Ajax. It is about 250km from Woodstock to Cobourg.

Is this the current status for ON?
Currently open: Toronto, Woodstock, Cornwall
Opening soon: Barrie, Kingston, Windsor
Other 2015 openings: Burl/Ham, Cobourg
2016: Huntsville, North Bay, Sudbury, Ottawa
First I've heard of Windsor.

I stand corrected - my defense is that at the North American scale it is hard to tell the difference between Comber and Windsor. But when you live in Toronto anything west of London is considered Windsor and anything north of Eglinton is Northern Ontario.:redface:

I've been speaking with Patrick from Tesla's destination charging program about HPWC locations for Barrie, Burlington, Toronto, and Ottawa, and the MEC stores have been open to the idea and are currently in talks about costs and possible use charges or free to members...

The subject has also come up about Kingston, Coburg and North Bay HPWC's. Are there any business owners from Kingston or North Bay on here that have a parking spot and a spare 100amps? This would certainly help at the moment.

I've also been trying to get a unit at the new Antoine Mountain Ski Hill (Mattawa) and Pembroke for anyone taking the 417/17 North.

- - - Updated - - -

Just received from Supercharger team, same form email with new info as follows, "...In parallel, we continue to evaluate additional options to quickly bring charging to Kingston and we are hoping to bring a dual post Mobile Supercharging Unit to Kingston around the end of the month. We appreciate the continued support from our owners to expedite, but this is not a delay by the utility or the City. Please continue to direct all inquiries regarding Kingston timing to [email protected].

As soon as work is resumed onsite, we will send out an email with an updated status report and expected opening timeline.

Our site in Barrie has been slightly delayed due to the extreme weather conditions over the past week but we are still on track to open this site soon."