Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To RiverBrick and others crossing from Windsor to Detroit or v.v.: do not take the tunnel. My experience in this goes back almost 50 years. Take the bridge. Better yet is crossing from Sarnia to Port Huron, but by the time you're in Comber, that's not an appealing option if you're on your way to Ohio.

Time of day etc. are a guessing game. At times when you think there's light traffic, so may the border forces, who may reduce the number of lanes open. Just go when you feel like it.

To RiverBrick and others crossing from Windsor to Detroit or v.v.: do not take the tunnel. My experience in this goes back almost 50 years. Take the bridge. Better yet is crossing from Sarnia to Port Huron, but by the time you're in Comber, that's not an appealing option if you're on your way to Ohio.

Time of day etc. are a guessing game. At times when you think there's light traffic, so may the border forces, who may reduce the number of lanes open. Just go when you feel like it.

If you have a passenger and a smart phone you can always check border wait times. :) I always do when I'm trying to cross in the buffalo/niagara area since there are 3 options...

Does anyone have any advice on which border crossing is the fastest? Any particular time of day to seek or avoid? After Comber I will driving to the Supercharger in Maumee, Ohio.

When I drive to Chicago in an ICE (from Toronto) I used to go via Sarnia/Port Huron but in the Tesla is it has to be Windsor/Detroit. I was very pleasantly surprised by how quick the Ambassador Bridge crossing was. My biggest delay (seriously) was talking to the customs agent on the US side and waiting while he waved his buddies over from adjacent booths to look at the car!

From Windsor on my way to Chicago I was able to bypass Maumee and head straight to Angola, IN.

Speaking of Syracuse, a piece of advice:

"The spots are primed for ICE'ing' you say. Well you could not have nailed it more on the head. Although I have a P85D coming in the next "Musk Month", I am a hardcore Iceman. The spot they have put the superchargers is the main hotel for the Syracuse Nationals (Previously known as the US Street Rod Nationals). 7000 screaming beltching ice machines of all shapes and sizes. I took my 1968 firebird LS3 570horse their last year for show and stayed at this hotel. The hotel alone attracted 2000 ICE' ers a night. So, great spot -but- avoid it July 17, 18, 19 2015.

Speaking of Syracuse, a piece of advice:

"The spots are primed for ICE'ing' you say. Well you could not have nailed it more on the head. Although I have a P85D coming in the next "Musk Month", I am a hardcore Iceman. The spot they have put the superchargers is the main hotel for the Syracuse Nationals (Previously known as the US Street Rod Nationals). 7000 screaming beltching ice machines of all shapes and sizes. I took my 1968 firebird LS3 570horse their last year for show and stayed at this hotel. The hotel alone attracted 2000 ICE' ers a night. So, great spot -but- avoid it July 17, 18, 19 2015.

Now that's a bit ironic. Thanks for the tip.

I will be close behind you. I am driving through Chicago to Wisconsin on the 23rd. C'mon Comber! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!!!

I postponed my trip, so will not be passing by Comber until March 5th or 6th. I hope the site is ready for you, if not on the 23rd, at least for your return trip.

To be honest, Comber isn't so important for me, because it's 1100 km from home, when I'm ready for a hotel with destination charging anyway. (Windsor or Chatham-Kent are so equipped).

I postponed my trip, so will not be passing by Comber until March 5th or 6th. I hope the site is ready for you, if not on the 23rd, at least for your return trip.

To be honest, Comber isn't so important for me, because it's 1100 km from home, when I'm ready for a hotel with destination charging anyway. (Windsor or Chatham-Kent are so equipped).

Any other updates (from anyone) on Comber? Is Woodstock to Maumee doable in this weather without making another stop enroute?

Ottawa does have two public HPWCs, at the Brookstreet Hotel in Kanata. They were just hooked up this week and they are on the Tesla map. Parking is free for the first 3 hours, and it may be free for EVs all the time - I haven't confirmed that part. This picture was taken before they were connected, but going by the cable size, it looks like they run at 80A.

And there's a 2-port Chargepoint station there too, which is 50 cents per hour for the first 3 hours, then $2/hour.

An update on this: Unfortunately, the two HPWCs at the Brookstreet hotel only run at 40A. And the spaces for them are not marked at all, so are prone to being ICEd. The two Chargepoint spaces next to them have orange signs overhead but they don't say "No Parking unless charging" and they could easily be missed. When I was there, there was a Porsche SUV in one of the Tesla spaces and the other 3 spaces were free.

The 4 charging spaces are right in front of you as soon as you take your ticket and go past the barrier. There is no attendant at the exit, so the only way parking would be free for EVs would be if you could get someone at reception to validate your ticket (I didn't try).

An update on this: Unfortunately, the two HPWCs at the Brookstreet hotel only run at 40A. And the spaces for them are not marked at all, so are prone to being ICEd. The two Chargepoint spaces next to them have orange signs overhead but they don't say "No Parking unless charging" and they could easily be missed. When I was there, there was a Porsche SUV in one of the Tesla spaces and the other 3 spaces were free.

The 4 charging spaces are right in front of you as soon as you take your ticket and go past the barrier. There is no attendant at the exit, so the only way parking would be free for EVs would be if you could get someone at reception to validate your ticket (I didn't try).

I also went to BrookStreet Hotel to check it out today. The two Tesla spots were taken up by the Porsche SUV and a Prius. Another Prius was parked in the ChargePoint spot. None were plugged in. I was able to park behind these vehicles and plug in my Tesla but could not leave the vehicle as I was blocking their exit. As for the parking ticket, parking is free for the first three hours so I was able to leave by inserting my ticket into the machine at the exit gate.

I am looking forward to trying out the Kingston Supercharger tomorrow. In December in - 14C weather, our return trip from Toronto required a two hour charge at the Kingston Best Western. I was glad that BW was there but two hours was discouraging.

Wow, expectations have really changed. When I got my Roadster there was only 1 J1772 in Ontario. I had to charge 4-5 hours at a campground to make it to Toronto.

You'll definitely enjoy the Supercharger! May the novelty never wear off.

Thanks. We really like our Model S. It's great technology.
You must have done a lot of planning to travel inter city in the "early days" The knowledge you have shared about your experiences is much appreciated.
We had delayed purchasing our Model S until we received assurances that the Kingston Supercharger would be ready by the end of summer 2014. Unfortunately, things didn't work out. In November during a mild spell, we made a half hour stop at BW on our way back from Toronto and were quite excited that through careful driving, averaging about 170 Wh/km, we had enough charge left over when we got home that we could have skipped Kingston.

I used the Comfort Inn, Burlington, Ont charger on Wednesday (-22c). It charged at 40amp. It is listed on the Tesla site as 80 amp. I was in for servicing today and they told me that if it is really cold, it is possible that half of the charge will be dedicated to keeping the battery warm?

I called the Comfort Inn before I went to ask if I could use it even though I was not a customer. They said no problem. When I got there, I went to the reception to say I was the one who called. She told me to go into their lounge and have a coffee and cookie. Very nice people. I feel obligated to stay at a Comfort Inn on my next trip!

I used the Comfort Inn, Burlington, Ont charger on Wednesday (-22c). It charged at 40amp. It is listed on the Tesla site as 80 amp. I was in for servicing today and they told me that if it is really cold, it is possible that half of the charge will be dedicated to keeping the battery warm?

No, people on Plugshare are reporting the same issue. I would say they just have them set up for 40A. Perhaps they didn't have room on their service for another 200A (2 x 80A) and opted for redundancy over speed?

It's also possible that whoever installed them didn't know they were configurable too (my electrician didn't bother reading the manual for mine, so I had to set the dip switches myself). I would ask at the desk if you go through again.

I charged at 40A there as well. The Tesla website just says up to 80A I believe. But they have 2 HPWC's and a J1772 at the Comfort Inn and given it is for overnight charging I wouldn't expect them to put in the service for the full amperage. From there perspective it is better for them to provide 2 HPWC chargers than 1 for the same power level for overnight charging.

Last edited: