Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re Highway 407: Mike Harris sold the province down the river on that one. I'm not interested in paying tolls that are close to the highest in North America. Billing people for trips they didn't take doesn't get my support either. So no, I'm not in favour of putting a Supercharger near 407. Maybe near the eastern extension, but even that's a stretch (and too close to Toronto).

Re Highway 407: Mike Harris sold the province down the river on that one. I'm not interested in paying tolls that are close to the highest in North America. Billing people for trips they didn't take doesn't get my support either. So no, I'm not in favour of putting a Supercharger near 407. Maybe near the eastern extension, but even that's a stretch (and too close to Toronto).
I want tolls that are just high enough to keep the highway from being congested. Then I can make the call on whether I want to pay money to save time. Having no tolls would mean that it would be almost as busy as the 401 so there would be no reason to take it unless I was going somewhere close to the 407. And I think the province did okay getting $3.1B on the highway when it was sold 16 years ago.

Having no tolls would mean that it would be almost as busy as the 401 so there would be no reason to take it unless I was going somewhere close to the 407. And I think the province did okay getting $3.1B on the highway when it was sold 16 years ago.

The 407 was always intended to be a toll highway regardless of ownership. I think that there is actually more impetus to maintain price integrity through regulation with private ownership than there would be if the government retained it and just charged whatever they want.

To pull this back on topic, LOTS of people travel on the 407 to by-pass Toronto and since Superchargers are intended to enable inter-city travel, a location that supports this route should be on Tesla's radar.

I don't think Rappoport is opposed to tolls. He just felt the govt' sold short and the new 407 ownership is incorrectly billing people. Personal views aside i don't believe the 407 should be boycotted or the area be devoid of all infrastructure or supercharges because of how it was acquired and billing errors. If Tesla (a private company) wants to install a supercharger around the 407 it should be encouraged. Like it or not the 407 is convenient.

I would love to see this as part of a "be able to drive across Canada coast to coast" initiative, hopefully sooner than later...at least to be ready for the release of the Gen III.

Canada's east coast is a great spot to visit ('cept in winter :wink: ) ....

I do wish they would put a couple of SCs in the Maritimes. I'm planing a road trip to Halifax, the first of many as my daughter lives there.

I would love to see this as part of a "be able to drive across Canada coast to coast" initiative, hopefully sooner than later...at least to be ready for the release of the Gen III.

Canada's east coast is a great spot to visit ('cept in winter :wink: ) ....

I'm very surprised this wasn't Tesla's plan from the moment they decided to begin operations in Canada.

Superchargers facilitate long-distance EV travel.

Canada happens to have a single highway that spans the entire country.

Seems like a no-brainer to align the two.

I'm very surprised this wasn't Tesla's plan from the moment they decided to begin operations in Canada.

Superchargers facilitate long-distance EV travel.

Canada happens to have a single highway that spans the entire country.

Seems like a no-brainer to align the two.

Yes, but large parts of the TC hwy are pretty lightly traveled. Have you ever driven from Wawa to Thunder Bay? Lots of miles, but not many cars or places to stop. I can see why it might not be the priority while they're still populating the Windsor- QC corridor.

I'm betting that it's part of the plan for Canada,

Yes, but large parts of the TC hwy are pretty lightly traveled. Have you ever driven from Wawa to Thunder Bay? Lots of miles, but not many cars or places to stop. I can see why it might not be the priority while they're still populating the Windsor- QC corridor.

Actually, I just made that drive for the first time in October and you're right, it's pretty empty. Then again, I'm from Saskatchewan, so that's kind of the norm for me. :tongue:

I can totally understand Tesla prioritizing certain areas over others. You start out where you can get the most bang for your buck.

What I can't understand is them leaving huge swaths of the country uncovered on even their most long-term roadmaps.

Actually, I just made that drive for the first time in October and you're right, it's pretty empty.

Rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and.... WATER!

I can totally understand Tesla prioritizing certain areas over others. You start out where you can get the most bang for your buck.

What I can't understand is them leaving huge swaths of the country uncovered on even their most long-term roadmaps.

I agree entirely. Even if northern Ontario through to at least Winnipeg weren't in the plans for the next two years, at the very least Vancouver Island and from Quebec City east should be. At least then you could go coast to coast but have to dip into the U.S. from Sault Ste Marie to Winnipeg or Calgary. The fact that Tesla's plan doesn't even go that far is worrying to me.