Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've got the Woodstock Supercharger that is at the 401 and 403 juncture, and I understand that something may be coming somewhere around Hamilton/Burlington near the 403 and QEW.

Now we need something around the 401 and 402 juncture near London to cover travel to/from Michigan via Sarnia. Looks like I-69 through Michigan is in the cards for 2015, but without something in Ontario to connect us, we'll be "islanded" again.

They've got the Woodstock Supercharger that is at the 401 and 403 juncture, and I understand that something may be coming somewhere around Hamilton/Burlington near the 403 and QEW.

Now we need something around the 401 and 402 juncture near London to cover travel to/from Michigan via Sarnia. Looks like I-69 through Michigan is in the cards for 2015, but without something in Ontario to connect us, we'll be "islanded" again.

Agreed, this definitely makes sense. For example, real-world data about the choices that drivers make when going west of London show that the traffic volume split between the 401/Windsor vs the 402/Sarnia branches is very evenly divided at 50:50 --> see the data around the "London" region in this graph of MTO data that show 60,000 average daily trips on the east side of London but an equal division of that traffic into about 30,000 each along each of the west-side branches.

These data strongly support your point that there's as much driver use and value in the 402/Sarnia route as in the 401/Windsor route.

attachment.php?attachmentid=56054&d=1407605733.png

What about a Location in Strathroy, Ontario - on /Near Highway 402, West of London? Amy's Restaurant and Banquet Hall across from Strathroy Motor in - looks like a good start!
Strathroy_Google-Maps_Highway-402+Highway-81.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Comber is now live

But - it is not yet listed in Tesla's Supercharger list as of today - at about 1:30 PM - Find Us Page
>Edit: March 26th, 2015, ~ 8AM: It is now listed, and has it's Own Supercharger Page!

Anyway - for markers on PlugShare - I did a quick addition - Comber Supercharger | Comber, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare - with Tesla HPWC (Model S) and CHAdeMO Selections as simple Markers! It can be updated when Tesla puts up their page for Comber Supercharger!
>Edit: March 26th, 2015, ~ 8AM: It is now listed on PlugShare, Correctly! But - it has a new URL: Comber Supercharger!

Last edited:
What about a Location in Strathroy, Ontario - on /Near Highway 402, West of London? Amy's Restaurant and Banquet Hall across from Strathroy Motor in - looks like a good start!

Not bad, but I always thought closer to where the two major highways converge would be better as it serves folks going in either direction. I always figured London should have come first, then something around Woodstock, not the other way around.

Anyway - for markers on PlugShare - I did a quick addition...

Pretty sure only the PlugShare folks themselves can add Superchargers. Hopefully they'll remove yours when they do so to avoid any confusion.

Well, to be fair, that was Sun Country Highway's goal... which was realized a couple of years ago. Not Superchargers, but you can drive an EV coast to coast on the TCH.

Kuddos to Sun Country for sure. The impact I am thinking of would be on Tesla's potential market. Fast charging that spans the country would IMHO, have a positive psychological effect on many people. Consumers just want to know that "they could" drive across our country conveniently in a Tesla, even if they never actually do it. The only way all of those super chargers make sense today is from a marketing standpoint.

It was the existence of the SCH network that convinced me the time was right to go electric. Superchargers were (and still are) a long way off for my region, so SCH's Level 2 network is a nice fallback and makes travel slow but doable.

I do think SCH dropped the ball by stipulating EVSEs on their network only be free-to-use for 1 year before handing control over to the host. Now more and more of them are denying charging to non-patrons. I don't think this is reasonable for Level 2 EVSEs. If I have 3 charging stops to make on a trip and all are at hotels, obviously I'm not going to stay at all of them. However, if I'm denied charging, I probably won't be able to continue. It was much better when you could simply choose the EVSE that worked best for your schedule.

I can understand businesses wanting some return on their investment, but in many cases the EVSE was donated by SCH, so not leaving them free-to-use seems a bit petty. Level 2 charging should be viewed the same as WIFI, a value-added service to draw people to your establishment, not a source of revenue, IMHO.

Well, there is a cost associated with using them. It's not a lot, but it could be over $10 for a full charge and that will add up over time. There needs to be some quid pro quo. Typically I'll eat in the hotel restaurant - but that means they must have one.

Offer to pay?

Well, there is a cost associated with using them. It's not a lot, but it could be over $10 for a full charge and that will add up over time. There needs to be some quid pro quo. Typically I'll eat in the hotel restaurant - but that means they must have one.

Offer to pay?

True, I could see that becoming an issue in the future when there is a constant stream of vehicles wanting to charge.

At this early stage though where many chargers are utilized once per month or less, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask businesses to "take one for the team" and provide complementary charging. Consider it a gesture of solidarity with EV drivers (which the business owners must lean towards already since they installed the EVSE at their establishment).

I make it a point to tell any business around a Sun Country Charger or a Supercharger (not just restaurants, but retail) that I'm only there because of the charger proximity. Even the Timmy's up the road from the Lawrence store. You never know if they'll eventually be in a position to influence a decision to put another one up somewhere...

Well, it seem the thread went back into talking about SC every where and across canada... It goes and come like a wave ;) So I'll mention again the map I've made of a pretty extensive Canadian SuperCharger network :
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3jn9JWcp2Xs.kH52DM3MSZqo

I might have forgot a few spot, but still, 130 SC would go a long way for Canada :)

I'm personally interested in East of Canada starting from Québec. Lot of nice place to visit with nice scenery along the coast. I might do it on L2...

Well, it seem the thread went back into talking about SC every where and across canada... It goes and come like a wave ;) So I'll mention again the map I've made of a pretty extensive Canadian SuperCharger network :

I might have forgot a few spot, but still, 130 SC would go a long way for Canada :)

I'm personally interested in East of Canada starting from Québec. Lot of nice place to visit with nice scenery along the coast. I might do it on L2...

Great job! We can certainly hope.

You still missed the the one between Barrie and Sudbury. The way that you've shown it nobody from Toronto can head onto TC going west without taking the long detour through North Bay. And I can't make it to Toronto in the winter!

Great effort you put in but i don't think we will ever see that many SC's in rural Canada. Perhaps eventually in the south along the TC, yes, but northerly routes I doubt very much.