Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I make it a point to tell any business around a Sun Country Charger or a Supercharger (not just restaurants, but retail) that I'm only there because of the charger proximity.

Ditto. I always say thank-you and patronize the establishment if I can. Further, I'll always ask hotels I'm staying at about EV charging even if I don't technically need it. I think it's important to articulate that the demand is out there. Several hotels have gone out of their way to get me set up with 120 volt charging and seem genuinely interested in installing proper EVSE after I have my little talk with them.

Yep, I just asked about 120v at the Econolodge in Ottawa...the folks there were very friendly and accommodating and allowed us to charge overnight @ 120v 12A...worked great!

We might as well ask them about EV charging...at least it gets them thinking about the issue! :smile:

Ditto. I always say thank-you and patronize the establishment if I can. Further, I'll always ask hotels I'm staying at about EV charging even if I don't technically need it. I think it's important to articulate that the demand is out there. Several hotels have gone out of their way to get me set up with 120 volt charging and seem genuinely interested in installing proper EVSE after I have my little talk with them.

- - - Updated - - -

What I think would add value to the "no longer being able to charge if you're not a patron" dilemma would be this...

Have Sun Country develop a type of charging "social contract" with the hotel / motel host site that would clearly spell out priority of charging (i.e. patrons have preference over transients) and establish a nominal charge tariff for the transient user...imo, this would be of great benefit to the "Level II charging community" ...

Well, there is a cost associated with using them. It's not a lot, but it could be over $10 for a full charge and that will add up over time. There needs to be some quid pro quo. Typically I'll eat in the hotel restaurant - but that means they must have one.

Offer to pay?

Have Sun Country develop a type of charging "social contract" with the hotel / motel host site that would clearly spell out priority of charging (i.e. patrons have preference over transients) and establish a nominal charge tariff for the transient user...imo, this would be of great benefit to the "Level II charging community" ...

They could do this with their keypad option. (For those who don't know, it works much like a self-serve car wash. You purchase a code which unlocks the station for a period of time). The hotel/restaurant could provide a code to guests while others could purchase the time they need.

They could do this with their keypad option. (For those who don't know, it works much like a self-serve car wash. You purchase a code which unlocks the station for a period of time). The hotel/restaurant could provide a code to guests while others could purchase the time they need.
But isn't there an issue around 'reselling' electricity in Ontario? I guess it could be positioned as payment for the parking space. The hotel's defence would be pretty lame if challenged (especially if the rest of the parking spots were free).

Just for interest and experience, I charged at the Yorkdale Mall Chargepoint stations over a week ago. The advertised rate is $ 2.00 / hour. Left after half an hour. Charge as per display was $ 1.13 but that charge has not appeared on my credit card account yet.

I've used a couple of paid ChargePoint sites, but have a ChargePoint card with a credit balance on it. The amount comes off my account right away. Perhaps credit card processing is just slower, but I'd have to imagine you will eventually see it on your statement.

PLEASE POST SUPERCHARGER STATUS TO PLUGSHARE!

I became a big fan of PlugShare during the early (pre-Supercharger) Tesla epoch and had taken considerable comfort from the universal 10.0 ratings of the Superchargers we were relying upon to complete a recent trip to Florida. That said, since the Superchargers were "always up" there seemed to be little value in posting updates on the status of the Superchargers on PlugShare (as their operational status was a foregone conclusion).

However, my views on this point were recently transformed. We recently found ourselves stuck in Lima Ohio, where Tesla eventually determined, after extensive conversations and testing, that the entire Supercharger station was incapable of providing a charge (despite being powered on and having voltage). After spending some time at a local mall getting electrons at a rate of 30 Amps at 200 VAC, Tesla arranged for transport via flatbed truck late at night to the Maumee Supercharger. While it was not a disaster, we were delayed for four or five hours (which made that a very long day), had the stress of having to track down the only available Level 2 charger in Lima (which was mechanically jammed when we arrived), sitting in a dark mall parking lot after the mall closed wondering if the Level 2 charger was going to turn off, worrying about changing hotel reservations, etc.

PlugShare is relevant to this story because we could easily have avoided the problem in Lima if the status of the Lima Supercharger had been posted on PlugShare. I would therefore propose, until such time as we get real time Supercharger status updates through Tesla in our cars, that all of us post Supercharger status information on PlugShare as a service to other members of the Tesla community. I subsequently posted the Lima status on PlugShare, and also posted warnings on the PlugShare listings for Maumee and Dayton, so that those travelling up or down I-75 would know to take on enough electrons at those Superchargers to be able to skip Lima. I note from a subsequent PlugShare posting that the Lima Supercharger had been down for more than a week, and apparently still remains down almost two weeks after first being reported.

Thanks,

Richard

I have charged there a few times. No bill will be sent.

It is illegal to sell electricity in Ontario unless your a utility or part of OPG... so I am told...and if you are a producer, then you can only sell it to the OPG (solar panels and such).

Best they could do is charge you for parking.

I have charged there a few times. No bill will be sent.

It is illegal to sell electricity in Ontario unless your a utility or part of OPG... so I am told...and if you are a producer, then you can only sell it to the OPG (solar panels and such).

Best they could do is charge you for parking.

Look back a page on this thread - you can charge by the hour for charging service, but you can't sell electricity by the kWh.

The law is an ass. Charging per hour for a constant power IS charging per kWh. 6kW for an hour = 6 kWh, so $2 per hour is $2 per 6 kWh, or roughly 33 cents per kWh.

Different cars charge at different rates. Trust me, when a Ford Focus or Volt charges at our station, they draw a heck of a lot less than 14 kW.

But yes, the law is in fact stupid. It was apparently written to protect the monopoly of the power utility. At the very least it is outdated.