Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the love / hate thing with the 407 depends on how often you need / want to use it...I like having the Nav default to the 407 as typically, when I go by Toronto, I need to use it.

I can certainly understand the frustration though for the folks that due to their proximity to the 407, would have to fiddle with the Nav to "defeat" the 407 routing...don't regular, off the shelf Nav systems give you the on / off toggle choice about using toll roads...

Take the 40. The old 20 routes you through Dorion, Pincourt, Sainte Anne De Bellevue, Beaconsfield etc all with traffic lights.
The 40 is direct on a nice 6 lane hwy right through to Decarie Expressway and then take that to the Ville Marie Expressway East and get off at the Mountain St. exit for the Bell Centre. Going to a Habs game?

I would add for higinsfan, Mountain Street exit is written «rue De La Montagne» on the highway sign... just to avoid any confusion! (also be careful when on the Autoroute Ville Marie Expressway as there are often cops doing radar operations... the limit at this point is 70 km/m but they tolerate 95 km/h) :)

Last edited:
I'm going for the Club Tesla Quebec opening on Satuday, but I'll probably drive there right away if someone say it ready :)

I had a chat with one of the contractor who built the Drummondville site, and he really doesn't like me :) They asked early on to people who came and to took picture to be sure their company car and staff were not recognized in the picture. One of them is a local Drummondville organisation (RAVE), and they posted that notice on FB and removed all previous picture they took with trunk or people identifiable.

Of course that got me and other finding that fishy behaviour and I and other speculated about the reason they want to hide their presence working at that site.. Add to that the delay for it construction when there is some near Toronto in the States that started construction in the middle of winter and finished in a month. And also take Kingston that did the digging, form placement and purring the concrete in 3 days before this winter around November 3, when Drummondville started November 15.

So the whole thing look fishy...

But in the end, this was their first SC install where MAYBE Kingston team already did another one. Also they took the decision to install a Tempo shelter over for construction site this winter, forcing them to use much smaller machine to dig in the frozen ground that probably took them for ever. They also might not know the technique to work during the winter so everything took longer to make sure the job is well done.

Sadly for them, they did came on forum like this one and other that are in french (Club Québec & RoulezElectrique), and I think they got really depressed with the comments me and other posted.

So maybe Im the cause of some of the delay !! !

So I'll apologize to anyone if Im responsible right now for any delay that my comments might have caused...

I told the guy that I also apolized to him if my comment made them feel bad, but I do not retract what I said ! That it still look fishy. Unless they have something to hide, they just shouldn't have said to not take picture that identify their business truck, we would still have complained about how slow they are, but at less they wouldn't have felt bad about us thinking they are trying to screw someone.

Anyway, 'sadly' that site will be done really soon... We will have to find another site to comment about ! Lévis maybe ? Or even better ! Plattsburgh :)

Here the picture I took of the SC in Drummondville... As you can see it finished and the light are open on the stall, but they didn't removed the fence... They do need to do a little bit of cleaning so maybe tomorrow (Wednesday) it will be open !

IMG_20150407_172801.jpg

Last edited:
I reported a bug to Tesla and I hope they got what I meant from the screenshot they take from the 2 screens.

I supercharged at Kingston and left for Toronto. I noticed that the map on the screen doesn't show the route unlike the one on the left. I stopped it and re-entered my destination again. For the entire way to Toronto, it insisted that I should go back to Kingston to supercharge again! I left Kingston with more than 90% and it kept rerouting to Kingston until I clicked on the "remove chargers from the trip" option.

It acted the same way on my way back to Ottawa. I'm surprised that it didn't happen to anyone else... Maybe because I have a 60?

I noticed this exact issue during my Ottawa-Toronto trip this weekend. I have the 85 so looks like it's not limited to the 60! Didn't get a chance to submit a bug report, unfortunately I keep forgetting the voice command for it... :-(
It seems to me that there are at least two issues, one with the route display and one with trip planning:
- I notice that the route on the map disappears if you leave the car and come back to it later on and can only be recovered by cancelling and resetting the destination. It happened a couple times when I was driving around in Ottawa as well.
- I also had close to 90% charge leaving for Toronto and it kept on bugging me to charge in Kingston even though I had more than enough range to make it to Toronto. Not only that but when I checked the trip details it said that I needed to stop to charge for 50 min!! In fact, it seems like the estimated charging time always seem to show 50 min but drops as soon as you start supercharging...

They weren't kidding when they said Trip Planner "Beta"...

I'm going for the Club Tesla Quebec opening on Satuday, but I'll probably drive there right away if someone say it ready :)

I had a chat with one of the contractor who built the Drummondville site, and he really doesn't like me :) They asked early on to people who came and to took picture to be sure their company car and staff were not recognized in the picture. One of them is a local Drummondville organisation (RAVE), and they posted that notice on FB and removed all previous picture they took with trunk or people identifiable.

Of course that got me and other finding that fishy behaviour and I and other speculated about the reason they want to hide their presence working at that site.. Add to that the delay for it construction when there is some near Toronto in the States that started construction in the middle of winter and finished in a month. And also take Kingston that did the digging, form placement and purring the concrete in 3 days before this winter around November 3, when Drummondville started November 15.

So the whole thing look fishy...

But in the end, this was their first SC install where MAYBE Kingston team already did another one. Also they took the decision to install a Tempo shelter over for construction site this winter, forcing them to use much smaller machine to dig in the frozen ground that probably took them for ever. They also might not know the technique to work during the winter so everything took longer to make sure the job is well done.

Sadly for them, they did came on forum like this one and other that are in french (Club Québec & RoulezElectrique), and I think they got really depressed with the comments me and other posted.

So maybe Im the cause of some of the delay !! !

So I'll apologize to anyone if Im responsible right now for any delay that my comments might have caused...

I told the guy that I also apolized to him if my comment made them feel bad, but I do not retract what I said ! That it still look fishy. Unless they have something to hide, they just shouldn't have said to not take picture that identify their business truck, we would still have complained about how slow they are, but at less they wouldn't have felt bad about us thinking they are trying to screw someone.

Anyway, 'sadly' that site will be done really soon... We will have to find another site to comment about ! Lévis maybe ? Or even better ! Plattsburgh :)

Here the picture I took of the SC in Drummondville... As you can see it finished and the light are open on the stall, but they didn't removed the fence... They do need to do a little bit of cleaning so maybe tomorrow (Wednesday) it will be open !

View attachment 77240

Ahah! really funny story!

As for the Plattsburgh SC, did you notice the absence of fast DC Charging between MTL and Albany? Couple of L2 charger at Lake George & Saratoga Spring but nothing more than that... though, these L2 will just serves us as Plan B during winter if Plattsburgh SC isn't online by next winter (which I would be very disappointed if it doesn't happen)...

The DC fast chargers are in the Burlington side which make no sense for someone who's going to NYC to pass by them... that makes the trip 37 km longer... OK, not the end of the world but still: that shows us the «must have» a SC in Plattsburgh as an insurance policy during winters... now they have full 6 months to figuring out before the snow...

Another similarity with the Plattsburgh/Burlington situation is with our Highway 20... there's a lot of DC fast chargers on the Highway 40 but none on the 20 (except for Victoriaville which is not even close of the 20! I always found that Hydro-Québec decision very fishy BTW)... so we need one VERY soon at Lévis & Rivière-du-Loup... further that, we can live with it... (using the Sun Country Highway...). Though, I don't know between the 2 who is the most wanted/needed as the 1st one... Having passed my first 18 years in Matane I would say, huh, Rivière-du-Loup first... ;)

Hope the Drummondville team will work sooner rather than later for these 2 others...

I'll probably be in Drummondville tomorrow around lunch time... will be great to see you all!

Last edited:
It's a fair point. Yes, this navigation feature has always been (sorely) lacking. HOWEVER, with the new trip planning feature, this major shortcoming is all that more serious. It completely undermines the usefulness of the trip planning feature.

I found the basic 'power remaining' feature of Version 6.1 a godsend for my -25C winter trip to Wisconsin through Detroit (without Comber). I would hate for that to become hopelessly inaccurate by upgrading to 6.2

I haven't been granted the update yet. Would you recommend staying with 6.1 until they improve mapping in Canada?

I stopped at the Drummondville supercharger today (April 8/15) and the fencing is still up but a worker was sweeping up,I got out and said hi ,the worker was super friendly and offered me a charge,he said the juice is on on a final sign off will occure today at 2;00 pm.
Looks like Drummondville is on-line
Yipee

I stopped at the Drummondville supercharger today (April 8/15) and the fencing is still up but a worker was sweeping up,I got out and said hi ,the worker was super friendly and offered me a charge,he said the juice is on on a final sign off will occure today at 2;00 pm.
Looks like Drummondville is on-line
Yipee

Drummondville went into the "Permit" phase according to Supercharge.Info on June 19, 2014.

It has been a long wait...Congratulations!

It's a fair point. Yes, this navigation feature has always been (sorely) lacking. HOWEVER, with the new trip planning feature, this major shortcoming is all that more serious. It completely undermines the usefulness of the trip planning feature.

You guys should try driving from Victoria to Vancouver some time. :) The nav shows the right route initially, but then tries to reroute you through the Alaska Marine Highway over a distance of 2500 km. I think it gets confused once on the ferry. Anyways: as currently implemented it is completely useless for helping determine battery level at destination.

Excellent news! Now, hopefully the crew from Comber will move on to Cobourg, the crew from Syracuse (almost done) will move on to Buffalo, and the crew from Drummondville will move on to Levis!

Spoke today to the Drummondville crew and they are from Montreal suburb (+/- 90KM) which was doable on a daily basis...

From MTL-Sub to Lévis it's +/- 250 KM which is hardly doable obviously on a daily basis...

Unless Tesla decides to pay a little bit more for their lodging or Tesla could decide to go with locals...

I personally think that the Drummondville guys did an amazing job considering the cold that was non-stop since jan 4th...

Last edited:
Lévis Supercharger

Now that Drummondville is on line, it is only appropriate that Lévis becomes our next Supercharger to whine about. I'll start by stating the Supercharger should be in St-Nicolas just before the bridges as opposed to Lévis which would require a backtrack to the bridge or using the ferry to maximize range on the north shore. I'm not sure where they're planning on putting it so they might already plan on installing it near the bridge. Regardless, a Supercharger in the Quebec City area will be extremely useful. Bring it on!