Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - along our selected route, not the 40 km longer higher speed route that the navigation system tries to force on us.

I hope this problem gets resolved before we return to Ottawa from Australia in May. Unfortunately the problems you are citing are exactly the same problems I experienced with my previous ICE - Nissan Infiniti. Any time I did not take one of the major highways the system would continually try and reroute me back to the highway. I continually had to reset the system to go on the route I wanted or use intermediate locations on my preferred route. The trip from Ottawa to Kingston was a good example.

Fortunately the GPS on the Infiniti had two settings - shortest route in terms of distance and shortest in terms of time according to the GPS. The first option would sometimes select the secondary road (Highway 15) instead of the 416.

Do do we have this dual option on Model S with the new software? Would this type of option help resolve some of the trip planning issues that have been raised?

All this Kingston use and reporting is great but what about Comber? Anybody used it lately? Any more pictures? Is it working ok?

Used Comber on Friday evening on my trip from Stittsville to Kingsville. Worked great as I was exiting the 401 at the exit anyways and topped up for the weekend stay. Allowed me to plug into a regular 120v outlet and stay charged up for the trip back.

Rivière-du-Loup would be more useful as the next Quebec site, but I hope they move agressively on both RDL and Levis, so as not to repeat the Drummondville debacle.

The reason Levis is less necessary is that there are already many destination charging sites in the QC City area and three CHAdeMO are coming soon to the region as well.

Even after Tesla fixes the nav, this trip's going to be a challenge. :smile:
Not with this mode:
tesla-model-s-lotus-easter-egg.jpg

I think the love / hate thing with the 407 depends on how often you need / want to use it...I like having the Nav default to the 407 as typically, when I go by Toronto, I need to use it.

The problem is, the Tesla Nav doesn't have any configuration settings like "Avoid Toll Roads" that you can turn on. I live near the 407 and my Nav will often route me on and off sometimes only for 1 exit when it is clearly more advantageous to stay on surface streets.

To avoid any delay in the process of getting Lévis Supercharger up and running before next winter (the avoid the same mess Drummondville & Kingston had), we should send SuperCharger request/idea for the spot to the Tesla SuperCharging Team...

Hi took the initiative to send one directly to Tesla SC Team for the future Lévis SC just to speed up the process.

If you guys want to push the thing, please send that same request as I did.

To make it easier, I prepared a template of the informations that are asked in that request.

Here is the link: Supercharging

Don't forget to share when done!

Here are the infos that I entered (feel free to modify or add anything)

*Proposed Site Address* ---»

298, boul. Armand-Theriault
Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec
G5R4C2

*Which of the following applies to your suggestion?* ---» click ALL the first 4 options

*Additional Comments* (you can modify/add other comments) --»

The location proposed is about at 1 KM after the #503 on the Highway 20
Centre commercial Riviere-du-Loup (mall with 72 stores) complete list of store (french only, sorry): http://www.centrecommercialrdl.ca/boutiques/

La Cage au Sport (Boston Pizza restaurant style...)
Walmart
Canadian Tire (retail store)
SAQ (liquor store)
Maxi (grocery store)
Days Inn Riviere-du-Loup (hotel)
Hotel Levesque
McDonald's
IGA (grocery store)

Last edited:
The problem is, the Tesla Nav doesn't have any configuration settings like "Avoid Toll Roads" that you can turn on. I live near the 407 and my Nav will often route me on and off sometimes only for 1 exit when it is clearly more advantageous to stay on surface streets.

Won't it realize after a bit that you are on another road and it's faster to stay on it than moving over to the 407, and then correct itself?

The info I heard is that Lévis site might be selected but the lease is not signed yet, so thing could change. Unless thing the deal fall off, providing more site won't change anything, but you could always try anyway. I think I heard Rivière-du-loup lease is done but I might be mistaken. Tesla learned at every supercharger installation, so thing might go smoother from this point on.

If you want to suggest a site, look for Magog ! It not plans but if a good site is proposed I think Tesla would be interested. Ottawa would also be another SuperCharger location (Probably more Ottawa than Gatineau).

Won't it realize after a bit that you are on another road and it's faster to stay on it than moving over to the 407, and then correct itself?

Yes, but it's actually quite comical. If I am driving, for example, southbound on Steeles Ave. from Brampton (parallel to the 407), the system will continuously prompt me to turn at every cross street that goes over to the 407. As I drive straight through, it re-calculates and prompts me to turn at the next traffic light. It's bound and determined to get me on to that highway come hell or high water.

No, it will fight you tooth and nail, trying to get you to go far out of your way to get you onto that highway.

It must have something to do with a calculation around speed limits. It's true that often a longer route but on faster roads may be quicker to your destination. Most stand-alone GPS units will let you select "Fastest" vs. Shortest", "Avoid Toll Roads", "Avoid Ferry Crossings" along with a bunch of other stuff, not to mention allowing simple waypoints... none of which the Tesla system can manage. When I got my car over two years ago, I and others had assumed these type of features would be rolled out over time, but no luck so far.

Rivière-du-Loup would be more useful as the next Quebec site, but I hope they move agressively on both RDL and Levis, so as not to repeat the Drummondville debacle.

The reason Levis is less necessary is that there are already many destination charging sites in the QC City area and three CHAdeMO are coming soon to the region as well.
Drove my Chevy to the levis but the Levis was dry.

Oops! wrong car!

It must have something to do with a calculation around speed limits. It's true that often a longer route but on faster roads may be quicker to your destination. Most stand-alone GPS units will let you select "Fastest" vs. Shortest", "Avoid Toll Roads", "Avoid Ferry Crossings" along with a bunch of other stuff, not to mention allowing simple waypoints... none of which the Tesla system can manage. When I got my car over two years ago, I and others had assumed these type of features would be rolled out over time, but no luck so far.

I go through the same ordeal going down Trafalgar past the 401 straight to the QEW...NAV wants me to turn left constantly to catch the 407 rather than stay on Trafalgar.

Yes, it is probably speed limit related. What drives me mad about it that it does not seem to take into account the actual speed of traffic. I am commuting from Brampton to Dundas / Kipling, every day on the way home it wants to send me home via 401 & 410, but that route is horrible packed and slow around 5-6pm and it is clearly shown on the traffic map of center screen but it still insist that I should go that way. I usually go up 27 -> Rexdale -> 427 (avoiding the 401/427 junction area that is also very slow), and it keeps trying to direct me back to the other route at every possible junction. A few times I tested to folow its instructions and its time estimate for the trip is typically 15 minutes off, i.e. it estimate about 30 min but it takes ~45, while on my preferred route I can make it in ~35. The funny thing is, that at some point it gives up sending me back and switches over to my actual route and at that point its estimate becomes quite reliable.

So it seems it can estimate the speed/time on the side-street + traffic lights route much better than the traffic jammed highway.

Agreed... but last time I did a road trip the estimates were grossly off on the high side. By almost two hours. It must have assumed a ludicrously slow speed limit for the "lesser" highways I was on.