Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy entry - effect on battery life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla recently released this new Easy Entry feature.
While I like it and would like to keep it on, it would mean the seats move back and forth every time I sit in the car which is about 1000 to 1500 times in a year.
I was wondering if anyone had more information or ideas around whether this feature utilizes electricity directly from the LiIon battery or from the 12v lead acid battery.

If lead acid, won't that cause a significant decrease in the battery's life?(I've read some posts about these batteries lasting only a year or two anyway)

I feel fairly confident, that this is the 12v battery in use for this.

However, the usage for moving the seat back and forth and steering wheel up and down a bit is of such a small scale in relation to what else is being used in the 12v system, that I really don't think this will have a significant impact.

That being said, the 12v battery does seem to be one of the weak points in the Model S and I hope they will improve it on the 3 and in a refresh at some point.

I'm more concerned about additional wear on expensive-to-repair power seat components.
This! You can see on old cars that the teeth are worn down and gears skipping on the driver's window regulator because people open and close all the time. That would concern me if I went in and out of the car 1500 times a year. If its engineered correctly it shouldn't be a problem though. Still very few cycles if you compared with the millions of revs that the drivetrain and road wheels go through

This! You can see on old cars that the teeth are worn down and gears skipping on the driver's window regulator because people open and close all the time. That would concern me if I went in and out of the car 1500 times a year. If its engineered correctly it shouldn't be a problem though. Still very few cycles if you compared with the millions of revs that the drivetrain and road wheels go through

Not sure that Tesla "engineered" the seats for this feature. It's a new addition for them. On most modern cars, with climate control, power window wear is not an issue. And motorized mechanisms moving the steering wheel seems like a pretty light load. The drive train is designed for long term sustained use (even so, look at all of the failures Tesla had in the first year or so).

Power seats are another matter.

I keep thinking about the 400 pound hacker-in-the-basement using the "easy entry" feature on the Tesla that he bought from his election hacking fee.:eek:

Not sure that Tesla "engineered" the seats for this feature. It's a new addition for them.

Sheesh. Tesla has fob profile based seating and wheel position for years now. We use it on our original 2013 Model S daily, as my wife and I both drive the S. No issues.

We had a Ford that had multiple profiles (of course on a stupid button on the door), worked fine for 14 years (at which point we traded it in).

Take a fully charged 12v tesla battery and make it power the seats up/down by 2" with a 150lbs weight on the seat. How many up/down cycles would the battery last assuming the battery is not charging?

I was wondering if anyone had more information or ideas around whether this feature utilizes electricity directly from the LiIon battery or from the 12v lead acid battery.

If lead acid, won't that cause a significant decrease in the battery's life?(I've read some posts about these batteries lasting only a year or two anyway)
Yes, the seats use 12V battery. I for one would not like to sit in a seat in close proximity to wires carrying 400V DC from the traction battery, would you?

I shouldn't think that the seat adjustment motors draw more than 20 watts for the 10 seconds or so it takes to change positions, so the load would be something like 0.055 Wh each time.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36