Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy way to help EV adoption in multi-family buildings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Just had this idea after having one of the unit owners in our condo building asking me a bunch of questions about EV charging. The background here is that I live in a 50-unit complex with underground parking. I installed a Level 2 charger about 3 years ago, and it is still the only L2 charger in the building. The charger (and parking space) sit unused between the hours of 8-5 M-F when I am at work. It occurred to me that I could make the space and charger available for others to use during those hours with almost zero effort. I just posted the following notice in our laundry room.

I'm already in the highest tier for electricity, so any additional charges will not affect my part of the bill. I figured if someone takes me up on this I will just ask them to keep track of hours plugged in per month, and then reimburse me monthly based on hours used and the charge rate of their car. I'll post back if I get any bites on the offer...

RT

evmanjimmy_zpstzvmko70.jpg

This is a similar scenario I brought up to one of my friends who lives in a condo just outside DC. If he installed charging he could rent out his space while he and his wife are at work. He commutes via bike or public transportation, but his wife has to drive between offices around DC, so their space is empty all day. The difference is that he could actually make some money off of commuters coming from outside DC, as they would have a covered space to park AND charge.

Of course, I still don't think he's brought up installing a charger with the HOA.