Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Easy way to verify Free Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is actually quite easy to check if you have transferable free supercharging and there are 2 flavors there:

1. Call Tesla support and ask them for the SC code for your car. If it is SC01 you have transferable lifetime free supercharging, SC05 is free SC for the current owner and not transferable, SC02 to SC04 are not transferable and not free.

or 2:
Go to your Tesla account and to your vehicle page. Then click on details (below the VIN number), which will give you a pop-up screen with your car details. It will probably say free supercharging there or something else.

To find out if you have SC01 (free transferable lifetime supercharging) or another SC code you need to see the html source code of the page with the pop-up (there are good guides for this depending on which browser you use). Do a search in the source code for SC0 and you will see which SC code you have, hidden between all the other options for your car.

That is actually quite easy to check if you have transferable free supercharging and there are 2 flavors there:

1. Call Tesla support and ask them for the SC code for your car. If it is SC01 you have transferable lifetime free supercharging, SC05 is free SC for the current owner and not transferable, SC02 to SC04 are not transferable and not free.

or 2:
Go to your Tesla account and to your vehicle page. Then click on details (below the VIN number), which will give you a pop-up screen with your car details. It will probably say free supercharging there or something else.

To find out if you have SC01 (free transferable lifetime supercharging) or another SC code you need to see the html source code of the page with the pop-up (there are good guides for this depending on which browser you use). Do a search in the source code for SC0 and you will see which SC code you have, hidden between all the other options for your car.

none of the above work if the buyer does not have access to the tesla account OR you don't want a 3P calling tesla asking

looks like the was broken, reuploading

PXL_20211008_201210765.jpg

Reactions: Harvey Danger
@ngng Wasn't clear what the context was. Yeah if you are a prospective buyer you won't get access to this information that easily. The screenshot doesn't mean anything as it could be non-transferable free supercharging. Not sure how SUC credit works and would be displayed though.

You can still call the SC and ask for the supercharger status of the car, they have access to the codes. Just need the last 6 digits of the VIN and sometimes they will tell you that information. They did that for me.

However, as a rule of thumb you can just assume that the chances of free transferable supercharging being there would be near 100% for cars delivered before April 2017. Several exceptions there though.

That's awesome! As expected, I have SC05:

Code:
<span class="tds-text--contrast-low" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$SC05-entry">Free Unlimited Supercharging</span>

@ngng Wasn't clear what the context was. Yeah if you are a prospective buyer you won't get access to this information that easily. The screenshot doesn't mean anything as it could be non-transferable free supercharging. Not sure how SUC credit works and would be displayed though.

You can still call the SC and ask for the supercharger status of the car, they have access to the codes. Just need the last 6 digits of the VIN and sometimes they will tell you that information. They did that for me.

However, as a rule of thumb you can just assume that the chances of free transferable supercharging being there would be near 100% for cars delivered before April 2017. Several exceptions there though.
yeah fair enough. unfortunately dealing with tesla is often luck of the draw

@ngng…You can still call the SC and ask for the supercharger status of the car, they have access to the codes...
I haven’t had great luck calling about cars where I am not the owner.

Specifically I met a guy renting on Turo who showed up at a supercharger and had never charged an electric car before and (surprise) the Tesla Model S had NO supercharging ability. Wasn’t an older 40 car. Salvage maybe? Maybe Tesla found out it was a being rented? Tesla would not even verify that the car couldn’t be supercharged. Funny that the car didn’t have a J1772 adapter in it.

By the way, anyone know what the non supercharging code(s) are? Curious if there is more than one.

Last edited:
none of the above work if the buyer does not have access to the tesla account OR you don't want a 3P calling tesla asking
I just found a 'SC00' code for mine and a S40 battery designation, but how do I get it changed by Tesla? I paid for the S40 to S60 battery upgrade in Dec. 2013 and I have been getting free supercharging until two months ago. Please advise. Thanks.

<div class="styles_OptionCode__1Wd-r" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$SC00-block"><span class="tds-text--contrast-low" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$SC00-entry">Supercharging</span></div>

<div class="styles_OptionCode__1Wd-r" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$MT40R-block"><span class="tds-text--contrast-low" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$MT40R-entry">40 </span></div>

I just found a 'SC00' code for mine and a S40 battery designation, but how do I get it changed by Tesla? I paid for the S40 to S60 battery upgrade in Dec. 2013 and I have been getting free supercharging until two months ago. Please advise. Thanks.

<div class="styles_OptionCode__1Wd-r" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$SC00-block"><span class="tds-text--contrast-low" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$SC00-entry">Supercharging</span></div>

<div class="styles_OptionCode__1Wd-r" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$MT40R-block"><span class="tds-text--contrast-low" data-test="ownership-vehicle-details-modal-$MT40R-entry">40 </span></div>
Hi Lisa,

Also went through your other post and see most items are covered already. I assume nothing has changed the past few months that would trigger such a change.

SC00 codes are for cars without supercharging. I've only heard about this for cars that have been salvaged, where Tesla stated that it would be "safety issue" (whatever that means).

As you can still use the SuC, but are charged then I would assume it is an administrative error as the code for this would be SC04. SC00 would not allow you to use the SuC at all.
Does your MyTesla profile still state "Free Supercharging"?

Anyway, if nothing has changed and you can still charge at the SuC it would be an administrative change for Tesla. You could call the SC or wait for the appointment to have it fixed. If you can't charge then it could indicate there is a battery problem or that Tesla considers the lifetime usage of the car to be only 8 years, which would be the first time I have ever heard about it.

I'm looking at a used 2017 100D and am trying to figure out whether it has free supercharging and if so, whether it's transferrable. The dealer was nice enough to check superchargers in the area and it only shows idle fees (which is similar to my 2013 with free supercharging). But I don't know if they have tesla account access so I can't be sure it's a SC01. I also looked, but couldn't find a number or a way to contact tesla to ask them - is there still a way to contact/ask Tesla?