Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edinburgh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up from Edinburgh on Thursday. 40+ model 3's all lined up waiting for owners. Guys there said it was the "same last week". I only got my number plate (which they thought was hilarious because it is reads SLOW) so I had to book insurance when I was there. Also, my own numberplate could not be fitted because I have to wait for v5c.

Felt a bit of a rush towards the end after a huge wait. Like everyone says, great product, miserable sales experience. I imagine it works a lot better in USA, but at the long end of a supply chain, just miserable.

Is that limited to £30? Although even if 35p kWh, thats not going to be a real problem.
But a more real issue...
What happens if contactless is rejected? My bank will reject every 5 contactless payments or when cumulative contactless amount exceeds £130.

Must be certain banks/credit cards that do this as I can't remember the last time I was required to enter a PIN from a contactless transaction

Picked up from Edinburgh on Thursday. 40+ model 3's all lined up waiting for owners. Guys there said it was the "same last week". I only got my number plate (which they thought was hilarious because it is reads SLOW) so I had to book insurance when I was there. Also, my own numberplate could not be fitted because I have to wait for v5c.

Felt a bit of a rush towards the end after a huge wait. Like everyone says, great product, miserable sales experience. I imagine it works a lot better in USA, but at the long end of a supply chain, just miserable.

Wonder if mine was there yet...picking up in 2 weeks

Must be certain banks/credit cards that do this as I can't remember the last time I was required to enter a PIN from a contactless transaction

Coming to a contactless card near you. All part of the new SCA regulations. My bank a bit ahead of the curve so its already up and running. Cumulative £135 limit or 5 transactions before you have to do a PIN transaction. If you don't do a PIN transaction within those time frames, the card is declined, and worried looks from the merchant as you tell them to resubmit as a chip and pin transaction.

Strong Customer Authentication

[QUOTE="https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R0389&from=EN"]
Article 11
Contactless payments at point of sale

Payment service providers shall be allowed not to apply strong customer authentication, subject to compliance with the requirements laid down in Article 2, where the payer initiates a contactless electronic payment transaction provided that the following conditions are met:
(a) the individual amount of the contactless electronic payment transaction does not exceed EUR 50; and
(b) the cumulative amount of previous contactless electronic payment transactions initiated by means of a payment instrument with a contactless functionality from the date of the last application of strong customer authentication does not exceed EUR 150; or
(c) the number of consecutive contactless electronic payment transactions initiated via the payment instrument offering a contactless functionality since the last application of strong customer authentication does not exceed five.

Article 12
Unattended terminals for transport fares and parking fees

Payment service providers shall be allowed not to apply strong customer authentication, subject to compliance with the requirements laid down in Article 2, where the payer initiates an electronic payment transaction at an unattended payment terminal for the purpose of paying a transport fare or a parking fee.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
^ PSD2 for customer authentication for banking. Quite a few Edinburgh banking tech workers will be living the dream trying to get that working. It's a new directive where banks have to be much more stringent on checking who is making payments.

I picked up my car from Edinburgh yesterday.
Arrived, after my flight, at around 09:30am for an 11am appointment. They said they would get the car out as quickly as they could as I wanted to get the 3:30 ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast.
Got a cup of tea, they showed me round the demo car )one on one) then out to my car for setting up the app etc. I checked the car over, signed and was gone before 10:30am.
Brilliant car and a joy to drive.

They are delivering on average 60 cars per week and up to 100.
Have delivered about 50 cars to NI already.
Indicated to me a SC in Belfast by summer. But I think that is Telsa 'coming soon'.
I wonder what the break point is for car ownership in a region before they build a SC?

They said they try to give the NI cars a 90% charge. Mine is a lease car so on a GB reg plate and they were not aware I was going back to NI. Early pickups have a higher battery charge as they have been charging all night so I just got lucky. Arrived home in Belfast with 120 miles of range.

Reactions: Adopado and Avendit
Congrats ! I've only ever seem one other model 3 in NI - and only the once (Have to admit I was peed off that it drove past my house as I was driving out on my 2nd day of ownership !)

Be prepared for taking longer to do everything than you used to - random strangers engage me in conversation all the time about the car.

The folks in Edinburgh did tell me that in July they delivered more cars for NI than Scotland.

Congrats ! I've only ever seem one other model 3 in NI - and only the once (Have to admit I was peed off that it drove past my house as I was driving out on my 2nd day of ownership !)

Be prepared for taking longer to do everything than you used to - random strangers engage me in conversation all the time about the car.

The folks in Edinburgh did tell me that in July they delivered more cars for NI than Scotland.

In Belfast I have seen 2 red, a grey and 1 white. common as muck now ;-)
I did see a totally wrapped car in mat black (de chromed etc) - not for me.

I was led to believe a few years ago the biggest UK BMW dealership was in NI

Reactions: drmarkreid
I picked up my car from Edinburgh yesterday.
Arrived, after my flight, at around 09:30am for an 11am appointment. They said they would get the car out as quickly as they could as I wanted to get the 3:30 ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast.
Got a cup of tea, they showed me round the demo car )one on one) then out to my car for setting up the app etc. I checked the car over, signed and was gone before 10:30am.
Brilliant car and a joy to drive.

They are delivering on average 60 cars per week and up to 100.
Have delivered about 50 cars to NI already.
Indicated to me a SC in Belfast by summer. But I think that is Telsa 'coming soon'.
I wonder what the break point is for car ownership in a region before they build a SC?

They said they try to give the NI cars a 90% charge. Mine is a lease car so on a GB reg plate and they were not aware I was going back to NI. Early pickups have a higher battery charge as they have been charging all night so I just got lucky. Arrived home in Belfast with 120 miles of range.
I'll hopefully be in the same position early Jan - I wonder is there a way to let Edinburgh SC know in advance that even with the GB reg because it's a lease that it's going to NI? Don't really want to start looking for a supercharger when I'm trying to catch the ferry!

I'll hopefully be in the same position early Jan - I wonder is there a way to let Edinburgh SC know in advance that even with the GB reg because it's a lease that it's going to NI? Don't really want to start looking for a supercharger when I'm trying to catch the ferry!

They "should" know/have you home address and charge accordingly - there is not superchargers on the way to Cairnryan unless you go a long way round via Abingdon .

There is a 50kw Instavolt on the A77 which is nice and quick and has a Tim Hortons coffee shop right opposite it.

Google Maps

Edinburgh are very good.
They called me on Monday to confirm the pickup time etc. I did mention I would be flying but not sure it registered.
I would not bother detour for a supercharger - 150 miles of range would get you Cairnryan