Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

edmunds range ratings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range below zero seems so strange to me. Can’t imagine many people taking/remembering this data and feeling comfortable approaching zero while driving. I get nervous when my range gets below 5% or 15 miles.
The annoying part is that is how the EPA tests, the test is complete when the car can no longer do the cycle test, which means (in Tesla's case) driving below 0 RMI.

this is what I once got in an early model S when I hit zero

Attachments

• _1q.jpg
    _1q.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 48
The annoying part is that is how the EPA tests, the test is complete when the car can no longer do the cycle test, which means (in Tesla's case) driving below 0 RMI.
It's interesting that sometimes I am still achieving the Tesla rated range, which is apparently now is longer than the actual measured EPA range. It will take quite some time, I guess, for other EV manufacturers, to approach the efficiency of the current Tesla vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaqueh and El joe
It's interesting that sometimes I am still achieving the Tesla rated range, which is apparently now is longer than the actual measured EPA range. It will take quite some time, I guess, for other EV manufacturers, to approach the efficiency of the current Tesla vehicles.
Tesla derates the EPA figure because they test because the EPA goes beyond 0 to empty. Take a look at their submitted doc: https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/disp...porMlUzfN0vsEijMXyx5o8QemhyxBMR9Vhme-uds4Km44

This makes sense because 100% should correspond to the EPA range rating and 0% corresponds to 0 miles. Going beyond 0 is something Tesla explicitly doesn't recommend and should get you more than Tesla's EPA range rating driving at rated consumption.