Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Lawnmowers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bosch for small gardens... Professional http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gra-53-38061-ocs-p/ Homeowner https://www.bosch-garden.com/gb/en/garden-tools/garden-tools/cordless-lawnmowers-199955.jsp

Sheep or other grazing animal if you have lawns you measure in acres. I'm serious, it is a common practise, they mow the lawn for you. You also get to save a life from slaughter.

We're considering goats for this purpose. The chickens have already decimated the tick population

I'm sorry I forgot to post my mini-review of the Greenworks Pro equipment I purchased.

Thanks for the review!

I picked up the Kobalt 80-Volt trimmer and blower this week from Lowe's, used them yesterday and was quite happy with how well they worked. My understanding is they're rebadged Greenworks 80V Pro units - they look identical, just with blue accents instead of green.

I also picked up an MTD Edger attachment for the trimmer, which is compatible with the "universal attachments". Both the trimmer and blower came with a charger and 2 amp battery - I only needed one of them for all my trimming, edging and cleanup with the blower.

I'm surprised at how much lower the price is at Lowes - the blower was $199 vs $299, the trimmer $249 vs $399; though Greenworks does have it as the deal of the week for $299.

I don't need a new mower yet, but plan to get the Kobalt one when I do.

I wonder if they batteries are interchangeable between the Greenworks Pro and the Kobalt... I've checked a couple of times on how much it would cost to pick up that spare 2 amp hour battery and have been put off by the price. Being able to pick one up from Lowes or maybe second-hand might be a good alternative.

What is considered the best autonomous electric mower at this point then? Read a few reviews and the John Deere looks good. The main issue is finding one that can get serviced in less populated areas as well. Would need to mow an acre of land although that is split up into front and back yard so could do one part, recharge and then do the next some other time.

Last edited:
The Bosch Pro version is frankly the only one that looks decent to me. However, it looks like the batteries are also absurdly expensive and hard to find. Much as the last time I investigated this, there are no good options. If I could have one crazy side wish, it would be for Tesla to start up a mower division.

The Bosch Pro version is frankly the only one that looks decent to me. However, it looks like the batteries are also absurdly expensive and hard to find. Much as the last time I investigated this, there are no good options. If I could have one crazy side wish, it would be for Tesla to start up a mower division.

Totally agree. Forget autonomous cars, try an autonomous drone mower service that can go house to house and trim lawns without spewing hydrocarbons!

I got an EGO mower and leaf blower (to dry the car). My full size EGO battery gets me through about 1/2 of my lawn. Then I throw it back on the charger and switch to my smaller leaf blower battery. That gets me through about 15 mins mowing, at which time the full size battery is recharged and I can finish the job with that. Super fast charging is definitely an advantage with the EGO system.

Lack of self propulsion is a drawback but fortunately my lawn is flat and the EGO mower is pretty lightweight with its plastic deck.

One of my other hobbies is building and tinkering with RC trucks and UAVs. I have frequently thought about tearing down a couple of my older electric mowers and trying to make a few RC electric mowers and setting up a lawn care service.
It is a fun dream, I just know I wouldn't have enough time in the week to do the initial build work.

I just bought the Greenworks Pro 80v 21" mower through Amazon. Will give a mini review this weekend. I was specifically interested in this brand because the battery pack is compatible with their snow thrower and chainsaw.
I got the 4 amp hour battery with the mower and the 2 amp hour with the saw so I will have two interchangeable batteries for whatever task.

so 4ah at 80v is .32 kWh. Man, mower batteries sure are small compared to cars.

After discovering a new SELF PROPELLED GO mower I've decided to take the plunge and purchase my second EV (even if it is just a mower).
http://egopowerplus.com/products/21-inch-self-propelled-lawn-mower
EGO 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Mower-LM2102SP - The Home Depot
Though it is 79lbs (20 lbs heavier than their non-self propelled version) it comes with the larger 7.5 Ah battery. Will review when the grass starts to grow again this spring.

Nice. I have EGO's grass trimmer and am happy with its performance. Look forward to hearing your reviews on the lawn mower in a few months.
I'm waiting for a battery powered riding lawn mower. I know Club cadet has one, but want to see other options.

Nice. I have EGO's grass trimmer and am happy with its performance. Look forward to hearing your reviews on the lawn mower in a few months.
I'm waiting for a battery powered riding lawn mower. I know Club cadet has one, but want to see other options.
I have had the EGO for 2 years and it works as well as my gas mower did, easy to use battery last about 45 minutes and recharges in 30. The only negative for me is that it is not self propelled, but since it is very light pushes very easily. I also have the blower which works very well.

I have had the EGO for 2 years and it works as well as my gas mower did, easy to use battery last about 45 minutes and recharges in 30. The only negative for me is that it is not self propelled, but since it is very light pushes very easily. I also have the blower which works very well.

Agree. My previous battery mower (a Ryobi) was self-propelled, but it was quite heavy. I think the self-propulsion just reduced my cut time by consuming the battery. The EGO is quite easy to push around... easier than any non-propelled gas mower I've used, so for my use case, I'd pass on the self-propelled version. I did have to buy a second battery for the EGO to be able to get through my lawn, and the stupid battery actually cost more than a whole cheap gas mower would have.

I purchased the new EGO self-propelled 21" mower. It's very nice, handles well despite it's weight thanks to the self-propelled feature. Run time about an hour. I purchased a string trimmer to get an extra battery. Very quiet, cuts well and best of all...no damned fossil fuel ICE fumes to breathe! It's nice to finally smell the fresh cut lawn without the mixed-in smell of gasoline:)