Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric MINI revealed -- The Mini E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
253865_1584756477691_1799141900_1002009_2163482_n.jpg

Tom M hits 60 k

BMW only created the MiniE program to get the CARB credits.

What am I missing?

Each car cost the owner between $11k & $18k, add $7,500 from the govt = $20k per car average (ish). That doesn't even cover the cost of the $30k PEM from AC Propulsion let alone the base car, batteries, wear items (tires, dented panels, etc.), maintenance, design, testing, building, shipping, etc. etc.

If it is just a case of having to provide the parts, keep x% of the fleet back as donor vehicles. Or make buyers sign a waiver.

What buyers couldn't then get from the regular Mini parts catalog, I suspect they could get from AC Propulsion anyway.

Perfect logic but I suspect that they don't want to get into it, don't want to deal with the phone calls, the press... All of the MINI's are going to degrade, become unreliable, need firmware fixes, etc. - My Tesla had another firmware fix today for example.

Put yourself in BMW shoes (I'm sure they have a nice line on their site); you sold a bunch of cars, someone is bitching on the forums about the MINI E he bought from some guy and can't get parts. You have a bunch of emails from owners begging you to upgrade to J1772. There's a rumour that a MINI E caught fire but, was it your MINI E or some aftermarket 'modification' the owner did? - The Daily Mail is on the phone. You've just discovered that the brake modification you did to make the servo work gets water in it and gives up after 5 years; you never tested that and Which Magazine is running an expo on cars with recalls. Someone has one of your cars and is testing it against a Leaf & an iMiev and everyone's laughing at the BMW with only 2-seats. And, finally, everyone reckons it was just a stunt to scam the US govt.

Nightmare :)

Let them go out on a high. I love my MINI, the ActiveE will be more practical, less fun, less charisma but hey, they can't crush my memories of the most fun car I've ever owned.

More fun than the Roadster ?!

Possibly the wrong forum for this but, the Roadster is tremendous, it's raw, exciting, fast, furious, serious, etc. But... The MINI... Yesterday my daughter was learning to drive backwards; she was making 8's in reverse, we were nearly sick! We load the bikes on the back and go cycling & I secretly exceed the speed limit on the twisty roads near here because, it's just a hoot to drive. It's good old fashioned simplicity with a dose of the improbable handling of the classic Mini.

What am I missing?

Each car cost the owner between $11k & $18k, add $7,500 from the govt = $20k per car average (ish). That doesn't even cover the cost of the $30k PEM from AC Propulsion let alone the base car, batteries, wear items (tires, dented panels, etc.), maintenance, design, testing, building, shipping, etc. etc.

What were the implications of not having the credits? Even bigger fines?

What were the implications of not having the credits? Even bigger fines?

Here's where I'm unsure. I believe the makers have to have to hit CO2 numbers here in CA. I'm not sure how that is measured. The implication is that BMW would have to start offered high mileage cars when they had been previously exempt as a small manufacturer.

Special Report: California ZEV Credits and the EV Market | PluginCars.com
Zero Emission Vehicle Credits
Manufacturer Requirement

A vehicle manufacturer’s ZEV requirement is based on a percentage of all passenger cars and light-duty trucks from 0 to 8500 lbs, brought to and operated in California. The table below is the 2009 California vehicle production of Large Volume and Intermediate Volume Manufacturers.

Manufacturer
: BMW
Passenger Cars and LDT1
: 40,036
LDT2
: 5,784​

LDT1 = light duty truck 0-3750 lbs​
LDT2 = light duty truck 3751-8500 lbs

Manufacturer Credit Balances

In complying with the ZEV regulation, manufacturers operate vehicles in California which generate varying credits based on vehicle type. There are also other parties generating credits that do not have ZEV requirements. The table below lists the credit balances as of October 1, 2010 generated since the start of the ZEV regulation in 1990. The credits are in units of grams per mile Non-Methane Organic Gases (g/mi NMOG).
California Zero Emission Vehicle Credit Balances
as of October 1, 2010
(g/mi NMOG)
Manufacturer: BMW
ZEVs (excluding NEVs): 106.000
NEVs: 0
AT PZEVs: 0
PZEVs: 285.480
ZEV = Zero Emission Vehicle
NEVs = Neighborhood Electric Vehicle​
NMOG = Non-Methane Organic Gases​
AT PZEV = Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle​
PZEV = Partial Zero Emission Vehicle

Frequently Asked Questions

What do these credit balances mean?
All manufacturers subject to the ZEV regulation are in compliance through model year 2009. The positive credit balances represent a successful over compliance with the ZEV regulation. Manufacturers can use these balances to provide flexibility in the timing and production of bringing new clean cars to the market to meet the ZEV requirements in coming years.​
How far into the future do these credit balances cover the manufacturers’ ZEV requirement?
Each manufacturer is unique in their strategy of compliance with the ZEV regulation. It is not possible to predict how and when these credit balances will be spent over the coming years due to the complexity and flexibility of the regulation. There are various mechanisms in the ZEV regulation which limit how credits are spent. These balances will be taken into account in future amendments to the regulation.​
Can manufacturers trade credits?
Yes.​
How do you calculate a manufacturer’s requirement?
For understanding the calculations involved in the ZEV Regulation, please see the ZEV Tutorial link below.​
Why are credit balances in units of grams/mile Non-Methane Organic Gases (g/mile NMOG)?
When credits are earned they are multiplied by the g/mile NMOG fleet average requirement for the appropriate model year. Please note that in the ZEV regulation g/mi NMOG is used only as index (which decreases over time)—it is the “currency” that credits are stored in and does not represent actual values of g/mi NMOG. The intent of this multiplier was to reward early production of vehicles.​
How many vehicles have been brought to and operated in California as a result of the ZEV regulation?
A total of 1.7 million vehicles including 300 fuel cell vehicles, 5,100 battery electrics, 28,500 NEVs, 300,000 clean hybrids and 1,400,000 clean gasoline vehicles.
...​
More Information

• MAC 2011-01: Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Credit Reporting and Tracking System​
  • NMOG table from California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Section 1961(b)(1)(A)
    ...​

Last edited:
MINI E Northeast meet up at Tom's. Looks like the Active E could even roll into the new year. Hope not.

MINI E Meetup: End Of The Line For Electric Car 'Experiment'

Nice job on the story.
One super minor nit: I think you misspelled Ariel (Atom) as Arial...

I sure hope they pull the ACP drivetrains out of those lease returns and sell them on eBay or something.
I can understand if they want to crush the Minis due to unwillingness to support them anymore, but it would be a shame for all those ACP drivetrains to be dumped.
Can you ask your contacts at BMW if there is any ways to get them sold to conversion people?

Parting it out might absolve them of responsibility for the safety and roadworthy nature of the car but, I suspect that they have custom firmware, they're using MINI specific CAN bus signals and wiring that'd need a manual and an explanation - it's such a small operation I bet some of the 'how it works' is only in the heads of a few guys at HQ.

Crushing is recycling and that's a good thing.

FYI: No one owns the MINI E's on the road; they're all owned and insured by BMW directly; another sign that they're an experiment and not a proven road going fleet vehicle.

Crushing is recycling and that's a good thing.
Destroying a perfectly good product, that took a lot of energy and materials to create, is never a good thing, especially when there are plenty of second uses for the products. I'd think the motor and controller are ACP firmware based, which if it's anything like my Curtis AC controller would be fully programmable with the installed firmware. If not you could probably reflash it.

Yet, what have they to gain except a clear conscience?

What will happen to the car unsupervised by BMW? What if somebody thinks the car needs more power and the car goes up in flames? I can see all kind of marketing nightmares which can be prevented by taking these cars off the road or at least keep them in their control. They could lease them to their E-Pioneers, but that is quite an expensive hobby. I suspect that they will strip them of all the electronics and batteries and than crush them. No (business) use selling it in parts when they can make more money selling new parts.