Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical field in and around car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo that has an access control using an HID Prox Pass II. It activates the gate when the pass is within 24 inches of the reader. It works fine on all model cars and under all conditions. However, it does not function with my model S and after several replacement cards, I determined that the car damages the card and they can no longer be used at all. The system involves 125KH. My theory is that the car emits some sort of electric field upon approach that effects and damages the pass card. The technician at HID and Tesla never heard of the problem but both said it is a possibility. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I live in a condo that has an access control using an HID Prox Pass II. It activates the gate when the pass is within 24 inches of the reader. It works fine on all model cars and under all conditions. However, it does not function with my model S and after several replacement cards, I determined that the car damages the card and they can no longer be used at all. The system involves 125KH. My theory is that the car emits some sort of electric field upon approach that effects and damages the pass card. The technician at HID and Tesla never heard of the problem but both said it is a possibility. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I can't imagine the car is damaging the card. i have the same kind of HID Prox Pass II card to access my parking garage at work and I use it every day without any issues. Can you think of anything else that could effect the card, like where you store it when it's not in use?

Last edited:
Prox pass

I can't imagine the car is damaging the card. i have the same kind of HID Prox Pass II card to access my parking garage at work and I use it every day without any issues. Can you think of anything else that could effect the car, like where you store it when it's not in use?

I keep the card mounted on the driver side post and it remains in the car. Is your pass used the same way or do you keep it with you?

Yeah I also have no problem with multiple HID cards I use/have used while driving the Model S, but I have only used the kind of card you need to hold in your hand and move close to the reader, not one that can be read from far away.

I wonder if there is an interference issue, but maybe not actual damage?

The cards are damaged and cannot be re-programmed. I have gone through 3 cards at $30 each. The hand-held cards work fine so I think the electronics contained inside the ProxPass II passes are being damaged

- - - Updated - - -

I am referring to the pass, not the card. The card works fine.

Here is my best guess as to what the problem is. I believe the ProxPass II pass has batteries in it and is considered "active" rather than the "passive" type of cards that do not require a battery to operate. My hunch is the S is activating the circuitry in the ProxPass II causing the batteries to drain. Similar to the FOB key battery draining if left in the car. Maybe contact the ProPass II manufactuerer and see if they are aware of the problem. Maybe a timeout circuit can be added if indeed this turns out to be the cause.

Take a known good device (that means something that is new, is proven to work while holding in your hand and has new batteries) and try it another car by holding it in your hand. Then walk to your Model S and try again. And if you are bold, video the whole thing. Then we help debug.

Take a known good device (that means something that is new, is proven to work while holding in your hand and has new batteries) and try it another car by holding it in your hand. Then walk to your Model S and try again. And if you are bold, video the whole thing. Then we help debug.

The Proxpass II works fine by holding in my hand and works fine in any other car. It also functions properly when mounted on the column of my Tesla S. But after a few days, it stops working. It is not the batteries. I think it is the result of some electrical field damaging the internal electronics contained inside the pass. People at Tesla and HID feel that it is a possibility but can offer no explanation.

Gilbert - did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue where HID ProxPass II Model 1351 stops working after being in my Tesla and wont open the garage gate for our condo building. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gilbert - did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue where HID ProxPass II Model 1351 stops working after being in my Tesla and wont open the garage gate for our condo building. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Do you ever put the card in the arm rest cup holders? There is an inductive coil which activates the key fob if it's battery is dead, I wonder if that could be causing an issue with card circuitry.