Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician installed my NEMA 14-50 receptacle upside down..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14-50 installation.
Not to be too critical, but why didn’t the “Electrician” you hired for your job install EMT? If you did it yourself then I can see why as not everyone can bend conduit, and box offsets and such. As a second item, a single gang box doesn’t allow too much space for the receptacle and even less wire bending room, as this is. A surface install, it would have been no problem to do that during...

I would have used a 2 gang box. More roomy. Your electrician really had to work hard to get everything to fit

That my guess as to why the electrician "had" to put the outlet the way they did.

I installed my 14-50 myself (before I got the car), and I ended up having to turn it around after getting the car and seeing the charging cable. I incorrectly assumed the manufacturer would put the lettering on the outlet in the orientation it should be installed...

I don’t think it really matters. What other interesting laws does Irvine try to enforce? Just curious.
Well it’s nice if there’s a standard. For some reason ground up is standard only for 240v outlets. If you installed it the other way all your cords won’t hang down nicely and can more easily get pulled out.
I don’t live in Irvine but I’ve been there and all the 120v outlets are the conventional ground down. Even though ground up might be a little better every 120v cord with an orientation is ground down.

Reactions: gavine
Well it’s nice if there’s a standard. For some reason ground up is standard only for 240v outlets. If you installed it the other way all your cords won’t hang down nicely and can more easily get pulled out.
I don’t live in Irvine but I’ve been there and all the 120v outlets are the conventional ground down. Even though ground up might be a little better every 120v cord with an orientation is ground down.

I just moved into an apartment and the parking garage has 120v outlets throughout (no level 2’s yet). The electrician installed all of the outlets with the ground on top. I’m trying to find an adapter that inverts the orientation, but I can’t find one.

Any ideas?

Am I going to have to get an extension cord and lay my UMC on the ground?

Not to be too critical, but why didn’t the “Electrician” you hired for your job install EMT? If you did it yourself then I can see why as not everyone can bend conduit, and box offsets and such. As a second item, a single gang box doesn’t allow too much space for the receptacle and even less wire bending room, as this is. A surface install, it would have been no problem to do that during...

This is exactly the reason why I do these things myself. This electrician gets customer to agree to a price, then uses the minimum required to pass inspection, pocketing the money saved. Bet the wire is not 6 AWG either, ‘cause you can get away with 8 AWG on a 50 amp circuit. Man, and a single gang box for 240v surface mount - really miserly. No EMT? I’m sure the workmanship is fine as it must have passed code.

Reactions: dblankenbaker
Actually, there is no absolute way to align a 14-50 outlet - you can even mount it sideways - it's all legal.* Most 4x4 14-50 plates will show the ground pin at the top, but many dryer hookups will have it reversed because the outlet is mounted by the floor, with the pigtail going up to the dryer. In fact the older free-standing 14-50 phenolic outlets came with the ground on the bottom. It's the same argument for the 5-15 outlets - old time electricians like me always use ground down, while newbies go ground up. (As if a piece of metal shorting hot to ground is going to draw less current than hot-neutral.)

*in my jurisdiction anyways.

Last edited:
I would have used a 2 gang box. More roomy. Your electrician really had to work hard to get everything to fit, I doubt he has the required 6” of wire in the box. I’m pretty sure that is a code violation, but I’d have to do a box fill calculation

Wow! He didn't even use a deep box! What's it, 50 cents more for a plastic 4-square? :eek: He probably even used a cheap Lowes 14-50 outlet.

When my 14-50 was installed with my solar, I showed the electrician the plug for the JuiceBox and how it would be mounted so the outlet orientation would be correct. He let his assistant work on that while he tackled the panel wiring on the roof. The assistant must have misunderstood and put it in upside down. I pointed it out and the assistant fixed it pretty quick, no big deal. So, should be straightforward.

FF9B5B63-E0C5-4234-9C11-E046DBCE15CE.jpeg
I installed my 14-50 myself and also installed it upside down. Rather than fix it (thick azz wires was a pain in the azz to install in the first place) I simply installed a hook to take the pressure off having the cable support the weight of the UMC brick. This photo has a bracket but I've since replaced it with an open hook so I can take the UMC with me when needed.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and 0ptions