Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician reference - Atlanta/greater Atlanta area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster and would appreciate a local electrician reference for the greater Atlanta area (preferably a company that services the north western 'burbs - Smyrna/Marietta).

I'm looking to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I estimate the install to be on the simpler side as my panel has spare capacity for add'l breakers and is located 3 feet right above where I want the outlet installed! I have 200 amps coming into the home, again more than ample for current utilization + to support a new EV. Hence, the simple install conclusion - also confirmed by a professional electrician (see below).

For kicks, I contacted the top-ranked Tesla recommended electrician in the Atlanta area (for my zipcode) - TE Certified Electric. I told them I was getting a Tesla, knowing fully well that it might influence their estimate. And I believe it did. Their quote, at $550 was quite a bit north of what others have reported for the simplest of installs + securing of permits, in some other major metros (unless I'm missing something here).

Does anyone have a reference/contact for a qualified electrician to install/permit a NEMA 14-50? Would you mind sharing the price you paid just so I can better calibrate on the going local rates?

I configured my Model 3 a little over a week ago; still awaiting VIN. Would love to get cracking on getting the charging infrastructure in place before the car arrives.

Thanks in advance!!

I don't think my guy travels that far West (I believe he's based in Cumming), but he took care of mine in 2016 for ~$225 if memory serves. Similarly short run from the panel to where I wanted my outlet. Carl Seyler 404.925.1381
Carl installed my charger in my old house in 2011 when the LEAF first showed up. Similarly priced back then $225 or so.
I would guess he's $250-300 these days, plus maybe some extra trip time for the distance to your place.
Carl is a one man show, who is certified. Very nice guy.

Thanks so much for the references, folks!

Got to only catch VM for a couple of the guys above. I ended up going with Marcos Palmeros (404 496 1405; for anyone who could use this info, going ahead) - he was the most cost-effective and had the best availability of the ones I talked to. Getting it installed later this week...

• Informative
Reactions: electric1900
If your outlet is going to be only 3ft from your panel, your parts include, 3ft of 3 #6AWG wire, one 4 square box, and one outlet, $40 Max? add one hour of labor at $150 (max) and your total should be under $200. If you pull the permit yourself i think youll be fine, otherwise you end up paying electrican rates for them to be there to sign off on this very simple work that will take your inspector 30 seconds to approve.

Did everyone here get a permit and inspection for the install? Want to make sure that I check with any quotes I receive from Electricians and don't want to skimp or go around regulations for something like this. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the references, folks!

Got to only catch VM for a couple of the guys above. I ended up going with Marcos Palmeros (404 496 1405; for anyone who could use this info, going ahead) - he was the most cost-effective and had the best availability of the ones I talked to. Getting it installed later this week...

Just wondering how did the installation went? I had Marco for estimate, price is amazing but I am a little concern since he doesn’t apply for a permit? TE Cert cost almost twice as much...

Just wondering how did the installation went? I had Marco for estimate, price is amazing but I am a little concern since he doesn’t apply for a permit? TE Cert cost almost twice as much...

Can’t speak to the no-permit, as that’s personal preference if not jurisdictional mandate. Plus you can always apply for a permit with the city yourself. But I’ve had zero issues with my NEMA 14-50 since the time Marco installed it for me in Apr 2018.

I’ve used TE for installs of (the same) wall connector at two different houses.

They were more complex installs than yours. I found the estimate high-ish, but reasonable. The quality of work was excellent.

They pulled permits for the second install only - something to do with a government SNAFU late 2018 when I first got the car.