Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to install your 14-50 plug at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
For anyone who has had an electrician come in to add a 50 amp breaker and run wires to a 14-50 outlet, what did it cost?

Give some details, like how far the wiring was run, type and cost of breaker, electricians fees, material costs, anything notable about the installation procedure, 6 or 8 gauge wire was used, etc.

When my Model 3 gets here I will have to deal with this, just trying to prepare for the sticker shock. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but for electrical stuff I will let a pro handle it.

The price varies from $300 to $6k+.

It depends on your unique situation. Do you have enough room in your breaker box? What capacity is your panel? How long of a run do you need? Is it going through existing drywall, or unfinished area? etc. etc. etc.

I paid $400 to an electrician, the job was very straight forward, I had about a 40-50' run IIRC (length + height). Other quotes I got were $1,200+, so it pays to shop around.

And I agree with the poster above me, there are a TON of threads about this, just search.

About $500 for a 10-foot run, in conduit, adjacent to my panel. NEMA 14-50 outlet. Plus permit.

Asked my usual electrician but he estimated $750 figuring a few hours of labor so I called a local company that specializes in EVs and Solar installs. Found him on PlugShare by accident, actually. Guy has two free charging stations outside his house for anyone who needs a boost. Figured I'd give him the business and he was cheaper, too.

If you install a plug rather than the HWPC, make sure you look at the Tesla specs (or current specs at the time) to ensure you've got the plug oriented properly with ground up. https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf