Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity costs are more than what I paid for petrol car(BMW 318i e46)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am from Netherlands, I am not able to find how much electricity my car is consuming. I see that there is a mobile app version which shows the charging stats but I don't have it here, may be its only for USA?
I leave my car connected to wall socket. My car is 4 months old. For last two months I see that my electricity bill has risen 5-6 times which can be ok if I drive a lot but I don't. Because of corona I drive occasionally. I feel Tesla is consuming a lot of energy when it's parked at home. Its in direct sun and its summer. I think it's consuming a lot of energy even when I am not driving it. Sentry mode is off at home, AC is switch off for maintaining temperature. The costs are even higher than the fuel I was consuming for my 18year old car which gives average of 10km per litre. Strange but its true.
I am not sure if it has changed because I am consuming a lot more electricity in the house or for charging. Is there a way to check how much electricity tesla has consumed?

When parked, your car could consume energy for cabin overheat protection but I believe you said that was off. Anyway it would only be for 12h. Otherwise, if the car is awake it will consume 200-250w, compared to around 20w when it sleeps. If you have turned off Sentry and smart summon your car should fall asleep.
20w for 24h amounts to 480wh, so 0,5kWh. I pay 11c per kwh here so that means the car spends around 5.5c per day when it sleeps. If it's awake you multiply by ten roughly, which would be 5kWh, or 55c in my case.

The car will only pull energy from the wall to charge when it falls under your target SOC, and only to get back up to that target.

You can see roughly the energy you used to charge in the mobile application.

Upvote 0
I'd mirror the mobile app comment. If you aren't using Sentry at home I'd maybe just double check a couple things -
1. Spot your SSD/Thumbdrive isn't using power. Unplug/replug. Only saw a few comments about that happening.
2. Hate to say reboot, but I mean thats my go to 90% of the time. Hold both wheels down for ~10 secs.
3. Close your Tesla app on your phone, and reopen it - I've seen cases where it sticks and doesn't let the car sleep.
1659896104058.png

• Helpful
Reactions: CyberGus
Upvote 0