Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does using supercharger actually save money for a road trip compared to petrol?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ABRP tells me a trip from my home in Sydney to Canberra airport (260km) will use 80% of a M3 rwd 60kwh battery which is 48kwh consumed. @ $0.68 per kwh at the supercharger that's $32.64.

A petrol car of similar size will probably use 8L per 100km ie 20.8L for the same trip. At $1.7 per litre of petrol that's $35.36. Only less than $3 more expensive than the M3 and this is on the basis that cost of petrol is as expensive as of now, and before the EV road user charge.

Is my calculations correct? I was under the impression that electric car would be much cheaper to run compared to ICEs, fuel wise.
Your calculations are correct. The issue is that Tesla Superchargers are a bit expensive. Fortunately destination charging is much cheaper (~$0.30/kWH). I tend to use third party chargers when I can.

Why provide shade when you can use their aircon in your car, and they can make 100% profit on the electricity to do so
This is currently not the case with Tesla. Or at least the last time I checked stats from teslalogger vs amount charged from Tesla. They charge the for the net electricity put into the battery. Worth considering also if you are trying to price compare. In effect this means any aircon or battery heating is covered by Tesla.
Screenshot_20230315-122845.png

Screenshot_20230315-122916.png

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I do think Superchargers are a bit steep in price. Particularly for V1/V2.. They aren't much faster charging than many other DC chargers, but you pay more than 2-3 times the cost.
That doesn't seem right to me. Of the fast charging networks out there right now, it looks like this:

NetworkCharge RateCost
Tesla V3 Superchargers250kW$0.55-$0.66/kWh
Chargefox 350kW200kW (for Teslas)$0.60/kWh
Evie 350kW200kW (for Teslas)$0.60/kWh
Tesla V2 Superchargers120kW$0.50-$0.66/kWh
Ampol Ampcharge80kW (for Teslas)$0.69/kWh
BP Pulse75kW$0.55/kWh
Charging The Regions 75kW75kW$0.40/kWh
QESH 75kW75kW$0.30/kWh
NRMA 75kW75kWfree
Electric Highway Tasmania50kW$0.55+/kWh
ActewAGL50kW$0.50/kWh
Chargefox 50kW50kW$0.45/kWh
Evie 50kW50kW$0.45/kWh
Charging The Regions 50kW50kW$0.40/kWh
QESH 50kW50kW$0.30/kWh
NRMA 50kW50kWfree

I'm not seeing two to three times the cost. The only ones that are less than half the cost of the Superchargers are QESH and NRMA.

(Also for Teslas charging from Superchargers is a little better than shown because Superchargers charge you only for the net energy put into the battery, not the gross drawn from the charger).

Chargefox is also significantly cheaper if you have NRMA membership. 48 c/kWh for 350 kW, and 36 c/kWh for the 50 kW. For CBR-SYD Chargefox is at Goulbourn, 50 kW isn't much slower than a congested V2 supercharger (e.g. Tesla Goulburn, 65 kW if sharing when congested).

The reason people pay extra for EVIE and BP is for the convenience off the highway without driving through Goulburn.

That doesn't seem right to me. Of the fast charging networks out there right now, it looks like this:

I'm not seeing two to three times the cost. The only ones that are less than half the cost of the Superchargers are QESH and NRMA.
Thanks for your table. It's very informative

On the flip side, I mostly charge at QESH (30c/kWh) when I'm on the road. That is less than half the price of Tesla superchargers. Especially if you don't have a Tesla and have to pay the 79c/kWh rate.

NetworkCharge RateCost
Tesla V3 Superchargers250kW$0.55-$0.66/kWh
Chargefox 350kW200kW (for Teslas)$0.60/kWh
Evie 350kW200kW (for Teslas)$0.60/kWh
Tesla V2 Superchargers120kW$0.50-$0.66/kWh
Ampol Ampcharge80kW (for Teslas)$0.69/kWh
BP Pulse75kW$0.55/kWh
Charging The Regions 75kW75kW$0.40/kWh
QESH 75kW75kW$0.30/kWh
NRMA 75kW75kWfree
Electric Highway Tasmania50kW$0.55+/kWh
ActewAGL50kW$0.50/kWh
Chargefox 50kW50kW$0.45/kWh
Evie 50kW50kW$0.45/kWh
Charging The Regions 50kW50kW$0.40/kWh
QESH 50kW50kW$0.30/kWh
NRMA 50kW50kWfree

(Also for Teslas charging from Superchargers is a little better than shown because Superchargers charge you only for the net energy put into the battery, not the gross drawn from the charger).
Thanks for that. Guess EVIE and Chargefox (with NRMA discount) are my best options as I can't charge at home

I can't charge at home
It really depends where in NSW you call home. There are a lot of level 2 AC charging around which can be as low as 30 c/kWh or even free, it really depends on what is convenient for you and if you can work it into your routine. Level 2 charging is also more efficient for Tesla as you aren't wasting energy heating the battery.

The table is also missing Jolt they have either 25 kW (and soon 50 kW) DC chargers, 7 kWh free per day followed by 46 c/kWh.

Reactions: cafz
I like the table, and I think it adds good discussion material, but some of those prices are wrong, out of date..
Chargefox sent me an SMS today, saying they are putting prices up. Isn't the devenport supercharger and some others $1 a kwh?

NRMA will likely be free for members. They appear to be going to a membership model. Obviously with EV's its unlikely people will need a fan belt on the side of the road in the future. They are looking at otherways of modeling their business.

Also NRMA bough Chargefox.

Also the 200Kw limitation on Tritium isn't shared by other EV's.. The 800v chinese EV's are coming, and they will charge faster than Teslas, on a bigger network.

You will find that ABRP always estimates conservatively (as it should), as you can see from the following thread I can do Sydney to Canberra and arrive with 29% (no hypermiling but sticking to the speed limit) : Model 3 RWD 2022 Efficiency - Canberra to Sydney

Real world, I've driven to Canberra twice and have had the hotel's permission to charge the car, meaning that I've always done the return leg for $0. Try getting your Canberra accommodation to fill up your petrol tank for free.