TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by minderbinder, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Where do they actually get the data? Is it all self-reported by the operators?

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.12.2

I don't know the details I know they had some bulk processes but there was also a form that allowed individuals (either owners or users) to report sites via a web form.

3. e of pi

e of pi Member

I figured it was a good time to provide an updated count, since I had the chance to not just update my state-by-state counts of open stations, but also went through and checked all of the in-progress or permitted stations.

As before, my data source was Plugshare, which shows 283 stations on their maps. However, I count several that are added before the site is open and don't show it or which are out of commission due to one issue or another. Their rate of install has been relatively high, but their pipeline may be drying up a bit.
    • Over the year to date they've averaged 0.9 stations opened per day (6.3/week)
    • Since my last update in May, they opened 100 stations, a rate of 0.882 stations per day
    • Over the last month they opened 26 stations for a rate of 0.765 per day
    • Over the last two weeks have averaged 0.563 stations per day.
    Plugshare shows 453 open stations or planned sites marked on their map. I looked at their entries for as many as I could, and found the following data:
    • 272 open (as noted)
    • 11 in some form of repair or with reliability bad enough to lower their PlugScore to 1.
    • 73 sites have charger pedestals mounted, this includes those that are awaiting commissioning, those in need of utility transformers, and those that just have the chargers erected but are still in the process of finishing paving.
    • 9 are currently in trenching phases--either digging the trenches, laying conduit, or refilling the trench and setting up to pour bases for the pedestals.
    • 80 were pre-trench or lacked sufficient data in images or check-ins to figure out status. 60 of these are in California alone.
    In the course of looking nationwide, my total count of stations is only 443. I'm pretty confident in my count of opened stations, meaning it's likely an issue in the state-by-state count of construction site statuses. In other words, I think I didn't click on or missed counting ten or so construction sites--not sure which category they fall into.

Back in May, I said their pipeline looked robust. That's looking true for sites in finishing and commissioning, but they have fewer sites noted in earlier phases of construction (a lot of the Cali ones seem to just be permits, with no equipment on site). This is sort of reflected in the recent slowdown in sit openings. I think they're still very much on track for 350+ stations--indeed, just finishing the current stations in ground but not activated would bring them to 350. I'm currently projecting just shy of 375, but I doubt they'll hit 400 unless something changes. It'll be interesting to see if the rate picks back up as they go into a second cycle of construction. Even so, it's a dense enough network to let a 200 mile range CCS car travel a lot of places they couldn't a year ago.

With that said, I'd say that the bigger concern right now is reliability. As noted, I count about 10-12 stations that are shown online on PlugShare, but are reported as non-functional by users or with extremely low PlugScores. That percentage has been pretty constant, and it's frustrating if not disastrous for people who might be relying on EA to close gaps on long road trips--the main thing their contributing to the broader CCS network right now. Only about 70% of their stations have a PlugScore of 7 or above. They've also had the struggles with cooling equipment with some of their pedestal suppliers that have several stations limited to 50 kW instead of the nameplate 150 kW CCS operation, and card/app authentication seems to have some pain points. I hope this improves as their stations mature.

• Informative x 4
  4. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Electrify America’s app today shows 450 total sites with 284 open and the rest under development (typically meaning at least the permits are approved). Their most recently stated goal is 484 sites open by the end of this year.

• Informative x 1
  5. tomc603

tomc603 Member

Be sure to disable L2 only sites so it only counts open DCFC spots, too.

6. ralph142

ralph142 Member

average number of stalls per site? around here I see 2 stalls per site, some places it isnt clear that there are really even 2.

7. e of pi

e of pi Member

Their most common installation size is four stalls per site, some with six or eight. I've seen seen as many as ten, though these locations seem somewhat random (e.g. I'm not sure why Cincinnati has 10, while no site near it has more than 8). (Each stall has two cables, but only one cable at each stall can be used at a time.)

8. miimura

miimura Active Member

• Informative x 1
  9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

There was one recently built near me and it is four stalls. The Supercharger location just a mile away is eight stalls.

10. ralph142

ralph142 Member

Perhaps I’m not looking exclusively at ea sites, looks like most do have 4.

11. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Yes. According to the Alternative Fuels Data Center, EA currently has 283 fast charging sites with 1261 outlets, i.e. the average number of outlets per site is around 4.5.

12. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

I’m not aware of any L2-only sites being listed on the EA app.

They are building L2-only sites in certain metro areas but the work is subcontracted out to other charging providers. Perhaps they will list those sites in the app in a future update.

13. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Tesla started off building a lot of 4-stall sites during the initial build-out and then scaled up later. I assume EA is following a similar approach.

14. tomc603

tomc603 Member

When you un-check L2 on their map the charger count drops to nearly half.

• Informative x 1
  15. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

I just tried in the latest update of the app and tried turning off the CCS, CHAdeMO and L2 settings in various combinations and it didn’t seem to change the map. Maybe they broke that part of it?

In any case, I’ve never seen any L2-only listings on their map. Can you name one so I can look at it?

16. tomc603

tomc603 Member

It does look like they broke this feature. I don't use their network, and I don't track individual locations so I can't say where an L2 only location would be. The EA press info does mention they're deploying L2 only locations, though.