Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good on them, of course they are under court ordered settlement. While I haven't tried to do a very complete survey at all, but most of those I've looked at on plugshare seem to have 1 or 2 booths. Lots of stations, but not a lot of capacity compared to the sc network in which the smallest installation I know of is 6 booths, and lots seem to be 8-16.

There is a 3-SC setup at East Towne Mall in Madison WI (interestingly, there are eight more SC stalls less than a half-mile away at a HyVee) and several years back I saw a two-stall SC on the Connecticut Turnpike. But the trend is definitely towards bigger installs.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Forgot to mention that Electrify America is installing a 4-bay charger at a Walmart within a mile of the Madison Superchargers, and our local utility Madison Gas and Electric has about 35 Level 2 J1772's and four Chargepoint L3's in the neighborhood. There are also three or four EVGo's, and the two Nissan dealers have Chademos available for anyone to use. We are pretty charger-rich in Madison.

Reactions: ralph142
Either way, in their first 18 months of operation EA seems on track to match the size of the Tesla US network after the first four years of Supercharger construction. An American CCS adapter seems to be a more and more essential peripheral from Tesla--by the end of the year at least 30% of US high power charging stations will be CCS just counting EA and that is likely to increase as EA continues their build cycle over the next few years.
It is important to not just count sites but also look at how they are deployed. What you can see now from the PlugShare map is that live EA locations are mostly concentrated in the areas where there are fewer EV's purchased (South and Midwest) and sparse where there are a lot of EV's purchased (California, western states and Northeast. I believe this is a function of where they main partner Walmart has the densest coverage and the length of time it takes to get permits and construction crews in the more populous regions.

According to their latest press releases, EA only plans to have two coast to coast routes enabled by the end of their second investment period in December 2021. Tesla has 5 such routes: Interstates 90, 80, 70, 40 and 10. Also EA is yet to even post enough Coming Soon sites to enable the most traveled route between the Bay Area and LA which is I-5. This is the first route Tesla opened and has 18, 20 and 40 stall locations now at Harris Ranch, Tejon Ranch and Kettleman City.

EA's rollout schedule is also being delayed. Here is their latest statement:
The company plans to install, or have under development 484 charging stations with more than 2,000 DC fast chargers by the end of 2019
In a press release three weeks ago "end of 2019" was "July 2019". And a few months ago "under development" was "under construction".

The only advantage I can see for a Tesla owner to have a CCS adapter is that on a busy travel weekend the EA locations near Superchargers are likely to be uncrowded. Tesla's coverage will continue to be far superior to EA for quite some time.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Either way, in their first 18 months of operation EA seems on track to match the size of the Tesla US network after the first four years of Supercharger construction.
Unsurprising, really. In addition to likely having a significantly larger budget than Tesla's Supercharger build out over those respective periods, EA has 2 MASSIVE advantages.
  1. They were able to get Walmart to sign on early as their partner (and then Target a bit later). A huge portion of the early project development process is dedicated to site scouting, selection, property acquisition/lease negotiation, etc. Almost all of this was automatically completed for about 3/4 of EA's total network essentially overnight. Plus, they could just look at Tesla's conveniently published maps and have a free blueprint (as determined by the industry leader) on exactly which stores they should choose to be building at. The second the Walmart announcement was made, it was obvious that they would be able to move waaaay faster than Tesla did.
  2. EA also contracted with Black & Veatch (B&V) and SAI Group, the same firms that Tesla primarily contracted with, for their design, engineering, permitting, project management, and construction support. So, EA got to immediately benefit from the 5+ years of experience and all the lessons learned each of those firms developed through their partnerships with Tesla in building the country's premier fast charging network. I'm sure they are much more efficient now than when Tesla originally started with them, with dozens of qualified employees who have all had lots of personal experience with multiple sites on an essentially identical project. As a result, for EA, staffing up that side of it wasn't much of a challenge at all and should have been done with hardly any delay. It was faster, easier, and they got higher quality people than Tesla originally had (because they already had so much directly applicable experience). The only caveat being that EA should have had to pay more to buy that experience.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H
It is important to not just count sites but also look at how they are deployed. What you can see now from the PlugShare map is that live EA locations are mostly concentrated in the areas where there are fewer EV's purchased (South and Midwest) and sparse where there are a lot of EV's purchased (California, western states and Northeast.
They are lagging on the west coast, but the northeast looks well covered to me. Here's a map of their currently operational sites according to Plugshare:

SgkOoeE.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bro1999
They are lagging on the west coast, but the northeast looks well covered to me.
I guess you and I have different definitions of "well covered". Here's the coverage comparison between live EA sites and Tesla Supercharger locations:

CT - 2 vs. 9
NH - 0 vs. 4
NJ - 0 vs. 14
NY - 2 vs. 31
MA - 3 vs. 13
ME - 0 vs. 4
PA - 4 vs. 18
RI - 1 vs. 1
VT - 0 vs. 3

Total 12 vs. 97. If you include the EA Coming Soon sites it is 31 vs. 97.

Last edited:
I guess you and I have different definitions of "well covered". Here's the coverage comparison between live EA sites and Tesla Supercharger locations:

CT - 2 vs. 9
NH - 0 vs. 4
NJ - 0 vs. 14
NY - 2 vs. 31
MA - 3 vs. 13
ME - 0 vs. 4
PA - 4 vs. 18
RI - 1 vs. 1
VT - 0 vs. 3

Total 12 vs. 97. If you include the EA Coming Soon sites it is 31 vs. 97.

There are 9 SC sites in little CT? That is surprising.

I said nothing about Tesla chargers. I was just responding to your claim that the EA locations were concentrated in the south and midwest and sparser in the northeast, which does not appear to be the case according to the Plugshare map.

Obviously the EA network isn't as well developed as the much older Tesla network at this point, but it should be absolutely sufficient e.g. to make roadtrips along the east cost and other routes.

According to their latest press releases, EA only plans to have two coast to coast routes enabled by the end of their second investment period in December 2021. Tesla has 5 such routes: Interstates 90, 80, 70, 40 and 10. Also EA is yet to even post enough Coming Soon sites to enable the most traveled route between the Bay Area and LA which is I-5. This is the first route Tesla opened and has 18, 20 and 40 stall locations now at Harris Ranch, Tejon Ranch and Kettleman City.
It’s more useful to just look at a map. Here is the latest Electrify America Cycle 1 map showing approximate charging locations planned to be operational by the end of this year.

D22FB14B-512B-4714-972B-F7B5F18DD0F1.jpeg

EA's rollout schedule is also being delayed. Here is their latest statement:

In a press release three weeks ago "end of 2019" was "July 2019". And a few months ago "under development" was "under construction".
No, there’s no delay — that was a screwup in the May 6 press release. I’ve been told it’s going to be corrected online soon (meaning probably in the next day or two).

They are still saying the same thing they have been saying for at least the last year or so which is that they will have all ~484 of the locations leased and “under development” by June 30 but won’t have them all fully constructed, energized by the utilities, and open for business until the end of this year.

I was at the media workshop at their HQ in Virginia a couple of weeks ago and wrote this:

Electrify America shows new mobile app, reveals new pricing plans

In total, it feels to me like the EA station was rushed to market under some insane deadline. Most of the problems would have been found and fixed if there had been a proper Alpha/Beta/GA release cadence. Instead I feel like I’m getting an “Alpha” experience when I use the stations.
Yep. They recently rolled out a major software update to their sites which may fix some of the problems people have been having.

They still have some inconsistent site design issues with the local subcontractors they are using but those are typically issues that can be easily fixed such as concrete parking stops that keep cars from getting close enough.

They are installing longer cables at some sites and are also changing the rotation of the cables so they don’t have to be twisted as much when plugging into a car inlet. The recently updated site in Livermore in California, for example, is now much easier to use.

As Eno Deb says, the more typical site I seem to see is 4-6 per site. A site in Cincinnati I checked in person last week had 10 pedestals. I'd say the average site is very comparable in size to the Supercharger sites.
I’d say Tesla is averaging more like 9 charging spaces now where Electrify America is going to average about 5 in Cycle 1 for their highway sites. Obviously, some of Tesla’s sites are now 20 or even 40 charging spaces while Electrify America tops out now at 10 but they have hinted they might have a small number of sites with slightly more.

I would suggest that anyone comparing the EA network to the Supercharger network (i.e. "EA seems on track to match the size of the Tesla US network after the first four years of Supercharger construction") include total energy delivered as part of the comparison.
At the end of this year I’m guessing Tesla might have around 700-800 sites in the US (about 640 now). Electrify America will have close to 500 (with maybe a few Cycle 2 sites online).

But, Tesla’s sites are more evenly dispersed, have about twice the number of charging spaces on average, and overall will likely have 7,000-8,000 charging spaces in the US vs 2,000+ for Electrify America.

It’s too soon to compare electricity dispensing and utilization rates because right now there are still large gaps in EA’s network which inhibits long-distance road trips to many destinations. Also, there are fewer CCS cars on the road to use them. Drivers inclined toward road trips today are far more likely to have bought a Tesla. For local charging, many Tesla customers still have “free” Supercharging which encourages use.

Depends on where you are and how fast you charge. Around here the superchargers are $0.32-0.35/kWh, so if you charge at more than ~50-60kW, it's about the same or more expensive than the current EA price

You forgot to factor in the Electrify America Pass membership that will include the standard per-minute cost of charging, plus a $1 session fee. Pass+ will have a $4 monthly subscription fee.

It’s more useful to just look at a map. Here is the latest Electrify America Cycle 1 map showing approximate charging locations planned to be operational by the end of this year.

View attachment 407472

No, there’s no delay — that was a screwup in the May 6 press release. I’ve been told it’s going to be corrected online soon (meaning probably in the next day or two).

They are still saying the same thing they have been saying for at least the last year or so which is that they will have all ~484 of the locations leased and “under development” by June 30 but won’t have them all fully constructed, energized by the utilities, and open for business until the end of this year.

I was at the media workshop at their HQ in Virginia a couple of weeks ago and wrote this:

Electrify America shows new mobile app, reveals new pricing plans

Yep. They recently rolled out a major software update to their sites which may fix some of the problems people have been having.

They still have some inconsistent site design issues with the local subcontractors they are using but those are typically issues that can be easily fixed such as concrete parking stops that keep cars from getting close enough.

They are installing longer cables at some sites and are also changing the rotation of the cables so they don’t have to be twisted as much when plugging into a car inlet. The recently updated site in Livermore in California, for example, is now much easier to use.

I’d say Tesla is averaging more like 9 charging spaces now where Electrify America is going to average about 5 in Cycle 1 for their highway sites. Obviously, some of Tesla’s sites are now 20 or even 40 charging spaces while Electrify America tops out now at 10 but they have hinted they might have a small number of sites with slightly more.

At the end of this year I’m guessing Tesla might have around 700-800 sites in the US (about 640 now). Electrify America will have close to 500 (with maybe a few Cycle 2 sites online).

But, Tesla’s sites are more evenly dispersed, have about twice the number of charging spaces on average, and overall will likely have 7,000-8,000 charging spaces in the US vs 2,000+ for Electrify America.

It’s too soon to compare electricity dispensing and utilization rates because right now there are still large gaps in EA’s network which inhibits long-distance road trips to many destinations. Also, there are fewer CCS cars on the road to use them. Drivers inclined toward road trips today are far more likely to have bought a Tesla. For local charging, many Tesla customers still have “free” Supercharging which encourages use.
Until these unicorns actually exist, any non-Tesla traveling across the country will be stopping for 8 hour charges every 150 miles. Not viable. I trust VW as much as I trust their EPA submissions.

The story continues... Dieselgate disaster — states squandering their settlement funds - Electrek

The stunning study comes from the United States Public Interest Research Group (US PIRG), which gives only 15 states a C grade or better when it comes to policies that can increase access to clean transportation, including electric vehicle charging and electric bus fleets. The rest of the states earned D or F grades. US PIRG used eight grading categories to come up with its final grade for each state. The categories are as follows:
  1. Are electric vehicles prioritized in funding?
  2. Are electric vehicles prioritized in stated plan goals?
  3. Are electric buses prioritized?
  4. Are diesel vehicles eligible for more than 15 percent of total award?
  5. Are diesel vehicles ineligible for funding?
  6. Are other “alternative fuel” vehicles, like compressed natural gas or propane, eligible for 15 percent of total award?
  7. Is charging infrastructure eligible?
  8. Is the state using 15 percent of its award on charging infrastructure projects?
And here are the resulting grades:

Screen-Shot-2019-05-22-at-11.49.41-AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mspohr
The story continues... Dieselgate disaster — states squandering their settlement funds - Electrek

The stunning study comes from the United States Public Interest Research Group (US PIRG), which gives only 15 states a C grade or better when it comes to policies that can increase access to clean transportation, including electric vehicle charging and electric bus fleets. The rest of the states earned D or F grades. US PIRG used eight grading categories to come up with its final grade for each state. The categories are as follows:
  1. Are electric vehicles prioritized in funding?
  2. Are electric vehicles prioritized in stated plan goals?
  3. Are electric buses prioritized?
  4. Are diesel vehicles eligible for more than 15 percent of total award?
  5. Are diesel vehicles ineligible for funding?
  6. Are other “alternative fuel” vehicles, like compressed natural gas or propane, eligible for 15 percent of total award?
  7. Is charging infrastructure eligible?
  8. Is the state using 15 percent of its award on charging infrastructure projects?
And here are the resulting grades:

Screen-Shot-2019-05-22-at-11.49.41-AM.png
I wonder why Alaska gets two different grades...and Arkansas doesn't get one at all.

This has nothing to do with Electrify America (which has separate funding).

As the article states, the funding is part of the larger Dieselgate settlement: :cool:

Nearly $3 billion in funding from Volkswagen’s Dieselgate settlement designed to go toward cleaner transportation in the US is being underutilized in EV infrastructure and adoption, according to a recent study which grades all states based on their spending plans. In fact, at least 14 states could see all of their allotted funds go toward diesel vehicle projects.

• Love
Reactions: yuhong
It still has nothing to do with Electrify America since it's a separate budget.
The ~$3 billion environmental trust fund that supplies the money for the state grant plans and the $2 billion Electrify America funding are part of the same overall primary legal settlement but are operated under independent rules and are designed to remedy separate problems.

Electrify America is a mandated investment by Volkswagen Group to promote and provide infrastructure for zero emission vehicles. The facilities are owned by VW and can potentially make a profit. The money must be spent on a fixed schedule but only certain types of spending qualify. The plans must be submitted in advance for every 2.5 year cycle and reviewed and approved by the EPA and California’s clean air board. This is all governed by Appendix C of the settlement.

The environmental trust is a bag of cash that is available in predetermined portions to each state to fund individual local grants. The grants must fund only certain specified kinds of projects. Up to 15% of the money can be used for general purpose electric vehicle charging. The stated purpose of the trust fund is to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions to counteract the excess NOX emissions caused by VW’s dieselgate cheating. Nominally, this trust fund is not targeted at reducing particulate or carbon dioxide emissions although US PIRG conflates these goals. This is all governed by Appendix D of the settlement.

Reactions: Zoomit