Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrify America is also in the process of replacing its current chargers with its next-generation chargers, so [...] probably doesn't want to spend money repairing chargers that are about to be replaced
That was a theory raised in Kyle's video by his first guest. And ... while sure ... that still means I can't charge right now so the product doesn't work.

Also Kyle asserts (w/o evidence) a few times that they're basically losing money from demand charges, and so broken chargers save them money. that implies a very broken business model.

That was a theory raised in Kyle's video by his first guest. And ... while sure ... that still means I can't charge right now so the product doesn't work.

Also Kyle asserts (w/o evidence) a few times that they're basically losing money from demand charges, and so broken chargers save them money. that implies a very broken business model.
Replacing essentially brand-new chargers is likely to be costing them a lot as well. Hopefully, the have some warranty on the bad ones.
Let's hope that a new feature of the 'next generation' will be reliability. That might put them on a sustainable path going forward.

Reactions: Big Earl
Only if the cable cooling is busted, and/or the thermal sensor in the CCS handle... I charged at an EA station in Calfornia when it was around 110 degrees F, and was still able to pull 149kW from the 375A/150kW charger.
Not just the cable, but the cooling within the charger itself needs to be in working order.

While I don't have definitive proof, I suspect that many instances of low charge rates at Superchargers (V2 sites anyway) can be attributed to individual charging modules overheating and shutting off. Old Nissan fastchargers would routinely stop working in the summer due to overheating issues, which again, without proof, the leading cause was suspected to be dealership staff failing to properly maintain the air filters.

You say this:
Electrify America is also in the process of replacing its current chargers with its next-generation chargers, so Electrify America probably doesn't want to spend money repairing chargers that are about to be replaced anyway.

But then when asked if they actually announced that you say:
Obviously not. That would be insanely expensive.

So it sounds like you are just making stuff up as an excuse for them...

You say this:

But then when asked if they actually announced that you say:

So it sounds like you are just making stuff up as an excuse for them...
I don’t know if you are trying to misunderstand or what.

There are previous generation hardware that have been installed 4 years ago to ones that have been installed 2 weeks ago (new old stock).

Electrify America is obviously not going to be replacing the ones that have just been installed.

It’s going to be a gradual process where old hardware is phased out.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you are trying misunderstand what I said or what.

There are previous generation hardware that have been installed 4 years ago to ones that have been installed 2 weeks ago (new old stock).

Electrify America is obviously not going to be replacing the ones that have just been installed.
So where is your information coming from that they are replacing chargers at older sites with new equipment? You said that they haven't announced it... And I haven't seen reports of it happening...

So where is your information coming from that they are replacing chargers at older sites with new equipment? You said that they haven't announced it... And I haven't seen reports of it happening...
5 miles from Electrify America’s headquarter

Replacing broken chargers at one site, near their headquarters, does not equate to upgrading all of the old chargers... (They even left one of the old ones, maybe as a backup in case the new ones don't work out long term?)

Interesting that they have gone with a longer single cable now. Which should eliminate some confusion by users. Of course, it also eliminates some redundancy. So hopefully that single cable/connector is more durable and last longer than the old design.

Replacing broken chargers at one site, near their headquarters, does not equate to upgrading all of the old chargers...
You are putting words in my mouth.

I never said that Electrify America is going to replace chargers at every location.

(They even left one of the old ones, maybe as a backup in case the new ones don't work out long term?)
No, that’s for CHAdeMo which the new chargers don’t have.

I never said that Electrify America is going to replace chargers at every location.

That is sure what this sounds like:

Electrify America is also in the process of replacing its current chargers with its next-generation chargers, so Electrify America probably doesn't want to spend money repairing chargers that are about to be replaced anyway.

No, you are putting words in my mouth again.

If the chargers at a location keep going down, Electrify America probably would rather replace them than keep fixing them.

If the chargers at a location work fine, Electrify America wouldn’t want to replace them.

It is literally what you said... (Sure I added the "all" but that was implied by you not having specified any conditions on what they are replacing.)

Ok, just to be clear, you are saying that they are not "in the process of replacing its current chargers with its next-generation chargers." However, they may be in the process of replacing failed chargers with their new design.

But in reality we have no idea because they haven't announced anything.

Last edited:

There's no functional improvement in that design, is there? Seems like people are reporting that they're 350 kW chargers, and aren't reporting them going any faster than the old ones.