TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Eliminated the Center Console "Black Hole"

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Solarman004, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

After reading posts about items, such as cell phones, sliding back in the gap between the dash storage cubby and the sliding door console storage area, I decided to eliminate this problem.
    I had some scrap black soft shipping foam. I cut off a 3/4" slice and pushed it back into the gap. Hard to tell from the photos because of the flash, but the black foam blends in with the black console and cubby.
    If you try this, make sure the foam isn't too thick or it will push down on the top cover of the console and prevent the sliding door from operating.

IMG_20170225_161712628.jpg IMG_20170225_161726769.jpg

• Helpful x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

The design of that console boggles my mind.

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It was my understanding that someone lost something (eg. credit card) sitting on the console door, between door and the console. So, about 1/8" lower and 1/2" in front of your foam. I could be wrong.

4. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

You are correct. It was a gift or credit card that slid in the gap between the sliding door and the lower cup holder cubby. But in that case, it slides back into the cup holder section. I was trying to eliminate the case, reported on the TM Forum, of an iPhone that slid all the way back under the dash cubby. This owner had to get the SC to remove the dash cubby to get to the phone.

@PedanticOne, I couldn't agree more. That gap under the dash cubby is just begging for lost items.

5. Dog lover 1

Dog lover 1 Member

What is all that powder?? Or should I not ask........

6. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

Just dust reflecting the camera flash. I knew I should have cleaned the car before taking the picture...

• Funny x 2
  7. InsaneDriver

InsaneDriver Member

There is still an airport parking ticket living in my console' black hole. The process to exit the airport and pay wasn't fun as a result!! Especially at 11pm in the rain at MIA.

8. contactace

contactace Member

I agree the black hole is sometimes annoying. I am sure there will be some cool aftermarket accessories popping up. There's already one or two companies doing this from what I've seen.

• Like x 1