Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I take this tweet personally. ;) ;)

Looking forward to the information! Thanks, guys, for the quality speculation. Good times.

BINGO!

After 200+ posts, you've just shown the way:

* extremely easy, pinpoint precision
* Zero doubt or controversy regarding the truth of Mr Musk's statement

All we have to do is eliminate you!!!!!:tongue:

My $0.02:

- Increased destination charging
- Nav suggests enroute charging locations needed to reach your destination
- Guaranteed no-fee towing to a charger if the nav fails to get you to a charging location

I don't see PlugShare integration. Even when the data are correct, too many chargers are in-use or inoperable.

Perhaps the announcement is a combination of ideas discussed here:

(1) NAV with enhanced routing and charging instructions is installed on all vehicles, backed by a guarantee.

(2) 10/20 kW (slow) Supercharging enabled on all vehicles that aren't Supercharger enabled.

(3) Mobile Supercharger trucks will come to your rescue if you ever get stranded following the NAV routing/charging instructions.

Howcum nobody mentions charging on the fly? Long areas of inductive charge wires under the road edge. Drive in slow lane for a few miles, charge increases. Only use it if you need it. Side of road so no construction hassles, buried by a cable ditcher.

OTA allows your car to pick it up.

OK, so maybe not, but no one mentioned on the fly charging, so I figured I'd toss it in.

The enhanced predictions via onboard navigation only helps in cars with nav enabled, which historically means tech package.

The ability to accurately allow drivers to anticipate energy remaining when they hit their destination - whether it's a supercharger or their home - makes the most sense to me. I'm going with those who have speculated better range and energy use predictions.

But in my opinion, this would also mean giving non-tech package owners the ability to add nav to their vehicles. Not necessarily for free, but at least making it available.

Perhaps the announcement is a combination of ideas discussed here:

(1) NAV with enhanced routing and charging instructions is installed on all vehicles, backed by a guarantee.

(2) 10/20 kW (slow) Supercharging enabled on all vehicles that aren't Supercharger enabled.

(3) Mobile Supercharger trucks will come to your rescue if you ever get stranded following the NAV routing/charging instructions.

I'm really doubting your second point will show up - I'd think it would tend to clog the supercharger sites with slow charging cars.

Though on reflection, I think ~90% of the fleet is 85s, right? Since Supercharging is included with all those cars, there might not be enough 60s without SC to create a blockage.

Still doubt they'd do it, though - creates less incentive to buy in to the network...

LOL Colorado models will change the "Ionizer" to a "Vaporizer" wherein when the car detects Range Anxiety setting in it will blow marijuana smoke into the cabin...

a8ca2d8b1352b20279022c6aaf5a73fb.jpg

I believe the primary focus will be better navigation to include all needed charging stops. One other possibility would be a partnership with a major player who has thousands of locations and has agreed to install chargers in all of them. If there was a network of HPWCs or something similar that was absolutely everywhere, that would "end range anxiety" as well. The ideal partner would probably someone like an international restaurant chain or hotel chain.

The ideal partner would be a company like Chevron, BP, Exxon, ARCO, or Shell to install Superchargers, not HPWCs, in thousands of locations nationwide. Such an infrastructure would be indispensable once Model 3 starts to roll off the line in the quantities that Tesla is anticipating. These Superchargers at gas stations may be a result of one of the major gas players taking Tesla up on its open source patents. Elon may simply be making the announcement. They may also be for-pay stations. You can have it for free if you go to a Tesla supercharger, or you can choose to pay and have access to hundreds more convenient, nearby locations.

huh, scratching my head, I just went to the find us page on my PC in Firefox and IE and I don't see a Tesla Charging Partners tab.

Is that an in car browser only tab?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm saying that a new tab on the navigation screen is likely to be added that will be similar to the current Supercharger tab. Only this new tab will show the Charging Partners. The Charging Partners are currently displayed on the Find Us web page. They are the small red dots with lightning bolts on them.

Larry

That's already available with the latest update. Enter a destination and remaining charge is predicted.

Yup. But now their going to extend it to deal with cases where you don't have enough range by routing through superchargers, I expect (and possibly improve the algorithm to handle more factors/be more accurate.)

They might also include a guarantee that they'll truck you to the next site if the estimate fails you, or real time/predicted supercharger availability, or time to charge at the present stop for the next leg on the center console screen and mobile app, or all three.
Walter

Better inverter algorithm by using pulsing and micro sleep the motor for steady cruising, and better navigation software.

How can you "micro sleep the motor for steady cruising" when you need 10-20 kW of power just to maintain cruising speed against the forces of friction and wind resistance? The laws of physics haven't taken a vacation, have they? Sleeping one out of two motors make sense for a dual motor configuration. You can still propel the car using the lesser of the two motors for more efficient cruising because it takes very little energy to maintain cruising speed compared with the amount of energy it takes to get to that speed. But if you "micro sleep" an individual motor, let's say 60 times per second, by definition you are outputting less power to the wheels, meaning you'll need to draw higher current from the battery in order to maintain that cruising speed. Or likening it to a CPU, if you want to do the same amount of work with fewer CPU cycles you need to increase the amount of work the CPU does per cycle.