Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be reasonable with no other changes to assume that D pack 85KWh could go up to the 1.85C seen on the 60KWh. That gets you up to 150KW supercharger rates. I could see an anouncement about 135KW rates now but they would have to qualify it applying to only D packs or newer or risk the wrath of the TMC crowd again. :wink:

Yes, and the tweet says it will apply to the entire fleet so I can't see that being it.

So many suggestions about hardware and infrastructure things... I though this was going to be an OTA software update? Best guess would be a configurable "reserve" tank, some sort of power limiting capability (maybe based on Nav directions - would adjust power level to let you reach destination) or similar.

Think this .... OTA firmware update will allow the car to charge twice as fast (ie dump more power in faster) and allow all cars to Supercharge (also OTA) AND in addition studies show that most people spend 15 minutes at McDonalds (order, eat and bathroom) so you can get half a charge while you are there. We have partnered with McDonalds (or Exxon or any or more than one HUGE WORLDWIDE COMPANY) to install a supercharger at every location in the next 2-3 years. Now THAT would end range anxiety. All of which is extremely possible IMHO. And show a map of the superchargers now and then one with all the McDonalds locations added to it covering the US and then the world.

Think this .... OTA firmware update will allow the car to charge twice as fast (ie dump more power in faster)

There's a physical limitation, though. If I use an 80 amp HPWC or J1772 station, that is the limiting factor. The car already takes the 80 amps of current and plunks it into the batteries with a high degree of efficiency, so I can't see how an OTA update (with no corresponding hardware upgrade) could do this.

There's a physical limitation, though. If I use an 80 amp HPWC or J1772 station, that is the limiting factor. The car already takes the 80 amps of current and plunks it into the batteries with a high degree of efficiency, so I can't see how an OTA update (with no corresponding hardware upgrade) could do this.

The idea is OTA software update to allow faster charging at Superchargers (that would be upgraded, that's where the hardware changes are, not in the cars). There is nothing that will make 80A hpwc faster, that are 19.2kW and nothing can change on that front.

Well I was thinking of the superchargers really. Most people dont use HPWC on long trips. Short trips have little to no range anxiety.

Im thinking there are more batteries on the pack that are not used. Maybe with this software, we will be able to use them all???

I heard the 60Kwh pack was the same as the 85 pack, then I thought is the 85 bigger too?????

Think this .... OTA firmware update will allow the car to charge twice as fast (ie dump more power in faster) and allow all cars to Supercharge (also OTA) AND in addition studies show that most people spend 15 minutes at McDonalds (order, eat and bathroom) so you can get half a charge while you are there. We have partnered with McDonalds (or Exxon or any or more than one HUGE WORLDWIDE COMPANY) to install a supercharger at every location in the next 2-3 years. Now THAT would end range anxiety. All of which is extremely possible IMHO.

And Exxon would do this because....? Even McDonalds would have to be careful. They wouldn't want to be perceived as supporting any one vehicle brand.

It's far more likely, I think, that you could get VW/Audi/Porsche or one of the other big auto makers on board to adopt the Tesla SC standard and to put money into the build out. Anybody looking to produce a long range EV will be at a severe disadvantage without access to something like the Tesla SC network.

I'm still laughing every time I see someone post in this thread about hardware changes. "OTA software update" is not new hardware!

Same here.

And I also suspect those folks calculating charge rates under various hypothetical scenarios are wasting their time; "range anxiety" isn't about how fast you can charge it's about how you get to your destination without worry.

And Exxon would do this because....? Even McDonalds would have to be careful. They wouldn't want to be perceived as supporting any one vehicle brand.

It's far more likely, I think, that you would get VW/Audi/Porsche or one of the other big auto makers on board to adopt the Tesla SC standard to put money into the build out. Anybody looking to produce a long range EV will be at a severe disadvantage without access to something like the Tesla SC network.

McDonalds would do it to attract all the traveling customers. 5-7 meals per vehicle. And for the green image. Would be good PR for any company. McDonalds is just what came to my mind first as a win win all around.

Gas stations do not make their money from gas. They either sell stuff in their stores or promote service to vehicles (which does not apply here). Again Exxon could be substituted for any major brand. All of the Oil Sheiks in SA have already diversified their investments to include many green infrastructure seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when oil eventually goes away.

Think this .... OTA firmware update will allow the car to charge twice as fast (ie dump more power in faster) and allow all cars to Supercharge (also OTA) AND in addition studies show that most people spend 15 minutes at McDonalds (order, eat and bathroom) so you can get half a charge while you are there. We have partnered with McDonalds (or Exxon or any or more than one HUGE WORLDWIDE COMPANY) to install a supercharger at every location in the next 2-3 years. Now THAT would end range anxiety. All of which is extremely possible IMHO.

Yep. This is my WAG too. I will be extremely disappointed if Elon called a press conference to announce a nav update. Huge yawn ... such things will happen over time anyway, as will better energy prediction, tweaks to the drive train control software for increased efficiency, widening the usable energy in the battery a little, ..., all of which are software OTA but really don't merit a press conference. SEC rules for public companies are quite clear about making sure investors have a level playing field. That's why there are such scrutiny on insider trading -- trading on information which is not public. In my corporate experience, a press conference is for a major (financially material) announcement, like a material new partnership which will change the trajectory of the company. Coupled with an increase in charge rate, it only makes logical sense to me that he's going to announce a 3rd party partnership for rapidly increasing the number of charging sites to end range anxiety. It could be that the non-Telsa DC charging sites will be pay for energy in some way, and the Tesla ones remain "free" (actually, pre-paid). I guess we'll have to wait until Thursday, but the negative ramifications of a ho-hum press conference could be pretty devastating.

The reason Exxon, BP, or Shell would want to do this is simple: revenue. Tesla promised that all of the TESLA superchargers would be free. It did not promise that ALL superchargers (or 60kW chargers) would be free. If Exxon, BP, or Shell provided charging at a cost of, say 30 cents per kWh... they'd make money, and we'd use it (for a top-off when free charging is not an option). And we'd buy stuff at their mini-marts.

geez, you can't make a post here without someone else posting the same thing before you finish!

I guess we'll have to wait until Thursday, but the negative ramifications of a ho-hum press conference could be pretty devastating.

With all due respect, you're making this into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Elon didn't say this is about charging infrastructure, he specifically said it's an OTA software update; yes, hypothesize about partnerships with organizations like Plugshare/ChargePoint/others but new hardware build-out is just fantasy. If anyone is expecting one of these hardware fantasy ideas to be revealed on Thursday then they will be disappointed.

Same here.

And I also suspect those folks calculating charge rates under various hypothetical scenarios are wasting their time; "range anxiety" isn't about how fast you can charge it's about how you get to your destination without worry.

I agree that an increase in charge rate along won't end range anxiety and the anxiety comes from worrying about reaching your destination. I think an increased charge rate (OTA) is only part of the announcement - the press conference is actually for something more. He may announce other things, like updated nav, energy prediction, drive train tweaks, but at the end of the day, a press conference is to announce something material.

With all due respect, you're making this into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Elon didn't say this is about charging infrastructure, he specifically said it's an OTA software update; yes, hypothesize about partnerships with organizations like Plugshare/ChargePoint/others but new hardware build-out is just fantasy. If anyone is expecting one of these hardware fantasy ideas to be revealed on Thursday then they will be disappointed.

Yep. Oh well. Worse things have happened.

616 posts, and yet still I've been able to find something new to throw out, as follows:

No one has entertained the question as to WHY IS THIS announcement going to occur on Thursday? Does anyone think TM does not already know everything about the release? Preposterous.

So, something special has to be occurring on Thursday, I am convinced. My strong suspicion is that the 19th of March will be the date that the mile-o-meter will tick over that magical ONE BILLION TESLA-MILES. (Sorry, rest of world. It's some boring 1.609344 billion km. Yawn).

And this plays right into the hands of those who, I think almost incontrovertibly, believe that the announcement will be a NAV-related one. With a billion miles of travel having been able to be analyzed, TM certainly has enough data to be able to understand correctly driving habits and the rest of what needs to be learned wrt vehicular use and range.

Hey look: a serious entry of mine!

Last edited:
geez, you can't make a post here without someone else posting the same thing before you finish!

:biggrin::biggrin:

Exactly ....Feels spooky that somebody else took your idea and just posted it

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if this press conference is accessible on line?

I want to watch this online sitting in my office... hopefully it is available online