Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Apps and Google Chrome in the Model S by late-2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless Tesla confirms they still intend to deliver on the previously mentioned features (App Store, 3rd party API, Android emulator, improved navigation, ...), it's possible Tesla has quietly decided their priorities lie elsewhere, and that because they are continuing to sell cars without these features, it isn't a priority to invest in those features.

It would be interesting if someone did a thorough feature comparison of the Model S vs. comparably priced vehicles and much lower priced vehicles. Tesla would get the highest marks on the large touchscreen. They will start losing ground on Internet connectivity as other manufacturers start rolling out 4G. And when the individual apps are compared to other vehicles, Tesla likely would in the bottom of the comparisons - across the board.

Tesla can - and should do much better.

Instead of implementing the new calendar feature - couldn't they have invested that time if adding some of the functionality that's missing in the media playback and navigation software or in providing more customizability in the user interface?

I continue to believe that the calendar feature was just an extension of the navigation update/autopilot development (i.e., check where you have to go and then get you there).

While I am very happy with my recently purchased Model S, especially after the recent 6.1 firmware update, I am still looking forward to future updates. This is why, no matter how old and dormant this thread gets, I refuse to let it die!

Once the system is opened up to third party apps and we have a functional Chrome browser, the sky is the limit on what we'll be able to do from our drivers seats! How cool would it be to access Waze on the big screen, pull up local weather radars during a storm or to make better range calculations at rest stops with EV Trip Planner?

I completely agree. I believe not having an app store is a big missed opportunity and a big disservice to owners. The minute I started learning about the Model S, I felt an app store would be huge, and I think getting started early can be a big advantage to tesla as the app store would grow before the other car companies even bring similar systems to market. As a Windows Phone owner and fan, I know the advantage other smartphones had when Windows Phone first hit the market, people preferred an iPhone just because their favorite apps were there, also, once you buy apps, record your user history, configure your settings, and become entrenched in the ecosystem, it'll be harder to switch platforms and thus move from a Tesla to another vehicle (BEV Or not).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I just remembered why I was thinking so much about apps. I could really use a mileage tracker right in the car. Imagine starting trips, labeling them and recording them right from the car! Keeping a big log and being able to compute business miles with ease. I would love an app like that. Similar smartphone apps are cool, but it's kind of a pain to have to do it with your phone.

Oh, and I just remembered why I was thinking so much about apps. I could really use a mileage tracker right in the car. Imagine starting trips, labeling them and recording them right from the car! Keeping a big log and being able to compute business miles with ease. I would love an app like that. Similar smartphone apps are cool, but it's kind of a pain to have to do it with your phone.

and I don't have a phone!!!! I have a physical log book in my car that I record every trip and charge, ever for > 2 years now...It is getting full though, come on Tesla!!!! need a logging app or something pretty soon

I could really use a mileage tracker right in the car. Imagine starting trips, labeling them and recording them right from the car! Keeping a big log and being able to compute business miles with ease. I would love an app like that.

It's a little better than using your phone, but you can use my SuperCharger Trip logger to log trips: http://LogMySc.com

It's really meant to track real-life energy usage between SuperCharger stop, sort of how EVTripPlanner estimates energy usage.

No reason you can't use it for a general trip mileage tracker with the added bonus of tracking energy usage.

It's a little better than using your phone, but you can use my SuperCharger Trip logger to log trips: http://LogMySc.com

It's really meant to track real-life energy usage between SuperCharger stop, sort of how EVTripPlanner estimates energy usage.

No reason you can't use it for a general trip mileage tracker with the added bonus of tracking energy usage.

Looks interesting, thanks! I'm not taking delivery of my P85D until March but will certainly check it out then.

Considering the tiny size of the Tesla app market, not sure why developers would spend effort developing for it.

Even with access to the most basic information available in the car, people could make some really useful, yet simple, extensions to the apps already in the car. For instance, my Supercharger Trip Logger web app could almost be entirely automated with access to energy use, odometer readings, car temp, etc.

I'd also like to build a multi-trip-odometer app to allow unlimited trip odometers, with selective start/stop settings, renaming, etc.

I wouldn't be doing apps like that to make money, I'd be doing to to extend the already awesome car and share that with other MS/X/3 owners because it's cool.

Considering the tiny size of the Tesla app market, not sure why developers would spend effort developing for it.
People enthusiastic about the car absolutely would. I know I have a couple ideas and will apply as a 3rd party developer as soon as they open it up. Certainly that would get us by for awhile until we have greater numbers, just as it did on smartphone platforms.

For example, the market may be too small for an official Spotify app, but a 3rd party developer could create a Tesla-specific version using Spotify's API. I'm sure Waze would be interested to make in-roads into the vehicle market any way they can, as that's a strategic move for them. I'm sure there's tons of other interested parties I can't even think of.

Cars have always been closed and isolated (no networking) systems. If you open up a network-connected API, there's going to be a huge rush to develop the first must-have "Car App," I can practically guarantee it. And until then, the market will be filled with people passionate about the platform that simply want to improve it.

3rd party apps can't come soon enough.

The development may not be for profit. I use some DVR software called SageTV as the heart of my Home Media Server system. There were a huge number of plugins built by a develop community. Pretty much all of them were free, some developers asked for small donations to offset the cost of running a separate development environment. The plugins added some great additional functionality to the core software of recording TV shows and allowing playback of media files.

I am guessing that a Tesla app environmnet could be the same - a lot of Tesla owners and enthusiasts would be developing apps that they personally find useful that they are willing to share with the community. Especially since many Tesla owners are geeks. For example, I am not a software devloper but I do like to tinker. I would be interested in writing code to allow my Tesla with my Control4 home automation system.

The development may not be for profit. I use some DVR software called SageTV as the heart of my Home Media Server system. There were a huge number of plugins built by a develop community. Pretty much all of them were free, some developers asked for small donations to offset the cost of running a separate development environment. The plugins added some great additional functionality to the core software of recording TV shows and allowing playback of media files.

I am guessing that a Tesla app environmnet could be the same - a lot of Tesla owners and enthusiasts would be developing apps that they personally find useful that they are willing to share with the community. Especially since many Tesla owners are geeks. For example, I am not a software devloper but I do like to tinker. I would be interested in writing code to allow my Tesla with my Control4 home automation system.

Here, here. And me with homeseer, scripts, etc...

Does anyone think that Tesla is going to allow 3rd party apps anytime soon or are there too many risks to allowing information and control access to 3rd party developers?

While I love viewing Waze incidents in the existing browser (Big thanks to Fact200 & co.!) the slow 3G limitations make it sub-optimal.

I am not much of a "tech guy" and intellectual property is not my area of law so as to fully comprehend the legal risks involved.

Does anyone think that Tesla is going to allow 3rd party apps anytime soon or are there too many risks to allowing information and control access to 3rd party developers?

I don't think they have shown signs that they are going to launch a developer program anytime soon but you never know. Security is a concern but its not an excuse and Ford, BMW, and other automotive manufacturers do have active third party developer programs so we know it can be done if the right people and resources are put to the task.

Oh man, really sorry to hijack the thread but I'm going on fifteen years using SageTV. We need to start a support group for those of us that remain.

Back to topic, we need a Winamp app to replace the media player in the car.
This will keep us off thread, but did you see that SageTV is being Open Sourced - so hopefully it will live on and a development community will improve an Open Source version of SageTV.

Oh man, really sorry to hijack the thread but I'm going on fifteen years using SageTV. We need to start a support group for those of us that remain.

And here I thought wayner and I were the only two. :) I can't recall exactly when I switched over from BeyondTV, but it was probably more like 5yrs ago than 15.

This will keep us off thread, but did you see that SageTV is being Open Sourced - so hopefully it will live on and a development community will improve an Open Source version of SageTV.

I did! I'm hoping the same thing, of course, but not terribly optimistic. Also, to continue going off-topic, did you see that Silicondust is kickstarting their own DVR software (HDHomeRun DVR)? It looks relatively simplistic compared to SageTV, but everything has to start somewhere, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Thanks. I'm planning a trip from Buffalo to Pasadena in June and may try it out.