Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: auto shift will come to all Tesla cars with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Elon just tweeted that the new "auto shift" feature currently on the Model S Plaid will come as an optional feature to all Teslas with FSD:

I wondered about this. Auto Shift would seem to just require a software update. So there is no reason Tesla could not push the feature in an OTA update to all Teslas at some point. It also seems like a feature that Tesla believes is the future. So it would also make sense to eventually push it to all cars.

Note that it will only be for cars with FSD. So this will add another subtle reason to get FSD.

Also, note that the feature will be optional. So if you don't like it, you can turn it off.

Personally, I think the feature is cool. So I am glad I will eventually get it on my Model 3.

Now, the question is when. Who knows when Tesla will actually push it out to all cars with FSD?

• Informative
Reactions: helvio and NHK X
I'm not understanding why this can't come standard to all cars that are capable. Much like the chime on green light feature, this is a quality of life improvement that's being stuffed into the FSD package because I guess its logical connection to the FSD software stack. Either this should be standard, or there needs to be more options for FSD features other than a $200 subscription or $10k purchase.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
I'm not understanding why this can't come standard to all cars that are capable. Much like the chime on green light feature, this is a quality of life improvement that's being stuffed into the FSD package because I guess its logical connection to the FSD software stack. Either this should be standard, or there needs to be more options for FSD features other than a $200 subscription or $10k purchase.

It is possible that the Auto Shift feature is too interconnected with the FSD software, especially since Tesla likes to do everything with vision only. So, the car uses the camera vision to detect what is around the car and decide which direction is best. For example, if it sees a wall in front of your car, it correctly assumes you want to go into reverse.

It could also be that Elon feels that the Auto Shift feature fits better with the theme of FSD since the car is making a driving decision on its own. Elon probably wants the "FSD" package to eventually include all those types of automated driving tasks.

Of course, Tesla could probably make it standard if they really want to. But they have decided not to.

Probably just to appease us FSD owners that feel we haven't gotten much anything for the money we spent. I guess I'll delay my opinion on auto shift until I use it, but it seems about as nice as green light chime. Nice but not 10k nice (~6k for me, bought car used).

Auto lane change is the only thing I've valued with FSD to date. NOA is just too annoyingly stupid with its lane change choices to me.

Why? You want the feature pay the money, stop nickel and diming Tesla..

Probably just to appease us FSD owners that feel we haven't gotten much anything for the money we spent.
Does only Model S Plaid get auto-shift or is it in any of the new Model S? In any case, it sounds like at least some Model S get the functionality even without FSD, so it does seem like some extra feature for those who pay more (either for FSD or Model S) and not because it's necessarily tied to FSD.

Probably just to appease us FSD owners that feel we haven't gotten much anything for the money we spent. I guess I'll delay my opinion on auto shift until I use it, but it seems about as nice as green light chime. Nice but not 10k nice (~6k for me, bought car used).

Auto lane change is the only thing I've valued with FSD to date. NOA is just too annoyingly stupid with its lane change choices to me.
right with you there, count me in the camp that feel we've got nothing useful for $10k apart from lane change.
The gear selector may be interesting, but really depends on how good it is.

Does only Model S Plaid get auto-shift or is it in any of the new Model S? In any case, it sounds like at least some Model S get the functionality even without FSD, so it does seem like some extra feature for those who pay more (either for FSD or Model S) and not because it's necessarily tied to FSD.
AutoShift out of Park is available on the Plaid and LR. It uses the FSD hardware to determine which direction to go, but I do not believe it is tied to having purchased FSD. So, in my case, I can use it to back out of my garage onto my street, but I think have to manually take over from there. I think it is makes sense to link it to FSD if I want the car to do more by itself (i.e. back out of my driveway, then shift into drive and continue the journey).

Reactions: mark95476
I'm looking forward to trying this new auto-shift feature.

I use traffic lights and stop signs recognition and chime on green lights all the time. I didn't realize how useful chime on green lights was until I started using it. Especially when I get blinded driving home due to sun and my Tesla tells me when the light has changed green and it's okay to proceed.

I haven't even tried NoA or auto-park.

Reactions: diplomat33
I'm sceptical, but will wait until I've tried it before I make up my mind. I don't really understand what problem it solves though. Tapping the stalk is "automatic" for me as well, and there's no ambiguity e.g. if you are parallel parked with cars in front and behind. I'm just glad that Tesla can't make the stalks disappear via software update. If this auto shifting works as "well" as the auto wipers, I feel sorry for owners of the new Model S. :p

I'm way behind I guess. 2020 Model X LR/FSD. I can't imagine how @WholeMarsBlog got his car to take him to the restaurant. Mine only self-drives on a highway or major street.

And to the auto lane change in FSD, it's useless when I am an area with diamond/HOV lanes -- The instant I activate Navigate on Autopilot it wants to get out of the diamond lane, even with speed based lane changes set to OFF, and exit passing lane OFF. Ugh.

I'm way behind I guess. 2020 Model X LR/FSD. I can't imagine how @WholeMarsBlog got his car to take him to the restaurant. Mine only self-drives on a highway or major street.

And to the auto lane change in FSD, it's useless when I am an area with diamond/HOV lanes -- The instant I activate Navigate on Autopilot it wants to get out of the diamond lane, even with speed based lane changes set to OFF, and exit passing lane OFF. Ugh.
He is part of FSD v9 beta group.

I'm sceptical, but will wait until I've tried it before I make up my mind. I don't really understand what problem it solves though. Tapping the stalk is "automatic" for me as well, and there's no ambiguity e.g. if you are parallel parked with cars in front and behind. I'm just glad that Tesla can't make the stalks disappear via software update. If this auto shifting works as "well" as the auto wipers, I feel sorry for owners of the new Model S. :p
I was skeptical too, but I figured, I might as well give it a try...and I ended up keeping it on as it works quite well--link to a video at the end if you are interested.

Lots of folks say "what problem does it solve" and I think maybe its the wrong way to think about things. AutoShift Out of Park is a little thing, but itself, but joined a list of features that collectively simplify the driving experience:
  • Walk up to the car and it automatically unlocks
  • Get in the car and it automatically turns on
  • If you ave a destination set in your calendar, it is automatically loaded into nav
  • The car predicts with direction it should go, so, if you agree, all you need to do it tap the brake than hit the accelerator to be on your way
At the other end of your trip:
  • Unbuckle your seatbelt and the car goes into Park
  • Walk away and the car locks itself and sets Sentry mode
Now, none of those individual tasks is particularly onerous, but chain them all together and it's pretty neat. If you add NoA in between those two sequences, things start to get pretty cool.

Thanks for your feedback and posting the video.

Auto-shift is a good safety feature. There are many examples of people accidentally shifting/driving in the wrong direction when trying to pull-out a parking spot and crashing through a store front or into a garage door. This won't be happening often to Tesla owners with FSD.

I was skeptical too, but I figured, I might as well give it a try...and I ended up keeping it on as it works quite well--link to a video at the end if you are interested.

Lots of folks say "what problem does it solve" and I think maybe its the wrong way to think about things. AutoShift Out of Park is a little thing, but itself, but joined a list of features that collectively simplify the driving experience:
  • Walk up to the car and it automatically unlocks
  • Get in the car and it automatically turns on
  • If you ave a destination set in your calendar, it is automatically loaded into nav
  • The car predicts with direction it should go, so, if you agree, all you need to do it tap the brake than hit the accelerator to be on your way
At the other end of your trip:
  • Unbuckle your seatbelt and the car goes into Park
  • Walk away and the car locks itself and sets Sentry mode
Now, none of those individual tasks is particularly onerous, but chain them all together and it's pretty neat. If you add NoA in between those two sequences, things start to get pretty cool.

Reactions: omarsultan
So, the car uses the camera vision to detect what is around the car and decide which direction is best. For example, if it sees a wall in front of your car, it correctly assumes you want to go into reverse.
Oh no, don't remind me of the past ;) I hope that feature can help the wife. About 20 years ago she looked around the car to decide which direction was best to go. She sees a mail box in front of the car and decides the best way to get the mail was to knock it down with the car :eek:

Oh no, don't remind me of the past ;) I hope that feature can help the wife. About 20 years ago she looked around the car to decide which direction was best to go. She sees a mail box in front of the car and decides the best way to get the mail was to knock it down with the car :eek:

Sounds like your wife could benefit from having the "auto shift" feature.