Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon calls NYTimes writer "A huge douchebag, and an idiot!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Last edited:
I'm about to watch/listen, but man... with all the negativity towards this guy, perhaps he should take a back seat or get some PR people to prepare what he says in public

*edit* OK so it wasn't horrible, but he could've done it better. BTW I love the way I can scroll and read the article AND watch the video

Last edited:
Perfect example of a quote that needs to be seen and heard to be taken in the spirit and context in which it was intended. It was part of a light-hearted moment.

In print, however, it doesn't go over too well. And in that sense it was unwise and a bad choice of words.

But that's Elon for ya.

Perfect example of a quote that needs to be seen and heard to be taken in the spirit and context in which it was intended. It was part of a light-hearted moment.

In print, however, it doesn't go over too well. And in that sense it was unwise and a bad choice of words.

But that's Elon for ya.

Totally agreed, it was fun/funny watching it, but in print, it sounds quite bad. Luckily the article didn't headline those words, but I think it's likely this won't go over well.

Elon Musk is my hero. This guy is perfect to run Tesla Motors.

He makes great cars and he thinks that the NY Times is full of idiots and douchebags. I agree 100%.

Don't hold back anything Elon !!! Keep up the great work !!!

The reporter at the NY Times, Randall Stross, must be cringing right now. He is being called out in a very public manner and being made to look like a fool. I think other reporters might think twice before they do another hatchet job on Tesla Motors. It is clear that Elon Musk is enough of a celebrity that he can throw some very strong punches when someone writes an unethical article like that.

Last edited:
Don't hold back anything Elon !!! Keep up the great work !!!

The reporter at the NY Times, Randall Stross, must be cringing right now. He is being called out in a very public manner and being made to look like a fool. I think other reporters might think twice before they do another hatchet job on Tesla Motors. It is clear that Elon Musk is enough of a celebrity that he can throw some very strong punches when someone writes an unethical article like that.

Gonna disagree just a little here. While I don't think he should hold back in defending himself, Tesla, EVs, etc., he can be just as forceful but do so in a more eloquent manner.

Experienced writers will salivate at the chance to bring out this kind of stuff and will switch to intentionally taunting...something that will ultimately distract from the bigger picture and message that Elon and Tesla are trying to get out.

Tesla's small, the occasional sound bite like this will draw attention, raise some eyebrows, and I don't have a big problem with it here. But this ain't no start up internet site and the money he's looking to get for the company will be distributed by politicians...they're not gonna want to look like they're throwing away our tax bucks to some foul mouthed rich kid.

Again, I love the forceful retaliation, I just want to see it done a bit more surgically and eloquently next time.

Hmm, the nice lady from Yahoo makes the same mistake that the loans are related to the Roadster...

Clearly a slightly tongue in cheek comment, but as we all know sometimes humour doesn't carry across well in written text. I expect we will be seeing a response in the NYT soon.

On ABG:

VIDEO: Elon 99 per cent sure of DOE loan, calls NYT writer "a huge douchebag"

tesla-ceo-elon-musk-grab.jpg

Totally agreed, it was fun/funny watching it, but in print, it sounds quite bad. Luckily the article didn't headline those words, but I think it's likely this won't go over well.
Reality is the man is a CEO of a startup company .Tesla has had production setbacks ,significant management changeovers,delays etc.and now that the company has a mainstream vehicle "S" and is starting to open stores (IMHO ) he best learn to conduct himself differently..unless of course he simply does not give a sh*t.
Mainstream America needs to join the party for Tesla to have long term success..