Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't currently do these things because the climate control turns itself off in about 30 minutes.
That is not how a Model 3 behaves - you can sleep inside the car with the "climate control on" - at least on auto. Have done this multiple nights and sucks energy and is loud. This is why I manually turn it off after a couple of hours. But it stays on through the whole night. Also see Bjorn Nylands videos.

The only thing you can't do is manually control it - turn AC off, increase fan speed etc. It stays ON and on AUTO at the set temperature and controls the fans automatically. But other than that it works as intended through the night.

Maybe it is different in the states, don't know.

That is not how a Model 3 behaves - you can sleep inside the car with the "climate control on" - at least on auto. Have done this multiple nights and sucks energy and is loud. This is why I manually turn it off after a couple of hours. But it stays on through the whole night. Also see Bjorn Nylands videos.

The only thing you can't do is manually control it - turn AC off, increase fan speed etc. It stays ON and on AUTO at the set temperature and controls the fans automatically. But other than that it works as intended through the night.

Maybe it is different in the states, don't know.

You've tried this from the back seat?

So fold the back seat and get one of the blow up beds, and sleep in the back. Does the climate control still stay on?

I've never actually tested this with the Model 3 I have, and my experience is with the Model S. With the Model S you had to use some trickery to get it to stay on.

Edit: I completely spaced it on the Keep Climate option that's right next to dog mode. Oops.

Last edited:
You've tried this from the back seat?

So fold the back seat and get one of the blow up beds, and sleep in the back. Does the climate control still stay on?

I've never actually tested this with the Model 3 I have, and my experience is with the Model S. With the Model S you had to use some trickery to get it to stay on.
Yes, back seats folded, sleeping bag, "keep climate on" enabled. This is an option on the 3 on the HVAC menu, but I am pretty sure X and S have it too since Nyland has been camping in those for years

I think the entire point of this update is to make it simple, and straight forwards so a person doesn't have to resort to things like putting something heavy in the front seat.

The code change is pretty trivial
Well, this "trickery" is needed only if you want to have the manual AC control on. But if you want HVAC on at auto - you already have the " keep climate on". I think most of the other stuff work too. I don't know what the exact setup was, but on our last trip we slept at the back, had the tablet hooked to the car and we ran a 2 hours movie through the bt speaker.
And we had inside lights on. I have to test it again, but it worked so I don't think we used any tricks. Then we put "keep climate on" and it kept it through the night

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Are we talking Model 3? Because on the Model 3, as long as you press P you can do all the things you quoted. Everything is on. Even if you sleep in the back seat, if you leave the door open or put something heavy in the front seat - the car is alive.
I'm in the X but you'd expect a *simple* option that has the end results the same in all the Teslas. Nyland had to do tricks ('camper mode' - parking brake, etc)

In years past, in the S, it was hard to be inside with the heat/AC on and all of that without the parking/running lights on. I remember discussions on here about throwing blankets over the car to keep it dark. That was years ago, in the S, though, and I'm not sure what's changed since.

In years past, in the S, it was hard to be inside with the heat/AC on and all of that without the parking/running lights on. I remember discussions on here about throwing blankets over the car to keep it dark. That was years ago, in the S, though, and I'm not sure what's changed since.

According to Electrek the "Keep Climate" option was added for the Model S/X back in 2017.

It doesn't specify how the Camp Mode differentiates from it. Maybe someone can take a screenshot of the option to see if the Keep Climate on button is still there. Maybe all they did was rename it to Camp Mode. So there'd be Dog Mode, and Camp Mode.

Tesla releases 'Camp Mode' — making some happy campers - Electrek

I seem to remember Elon saying FSD would be "feature complete" by the end of the year. To me, that sounds like Tesla is saying "It can kind of do each and every thing that FSD will eventually do, but it can't do anything well enough yet to be consider truly FSD".

He explained what he means by it on the October call-

Elon Musk said:
“Yeah, feature-complete, I mean, it’s — the car is able to drive from one’s house to work, most likely without interventions. So it will still be supervised, but it will be able to drive — it will fill in the gap from low-speed autonomy — low-speed autonomy with Summon. You’ve got high-speed autonomy on the highway, and intermediate speed autonomy, which really just means traffic lights and stop signs.

“So feature-complete means it’s most likely able to do that without intervention, without human intervention, but it would still be supervised. And I’ve gone through this timeline before several times, but it is often misconstrued that there’s three major levels to autonomy. There’s the car being able to be autonomous but requiring supervision and intervention at times. That’s feature complete. Then there’s — and it doesn’t mean like every scenario, everywhere on earth, including ever corner case, it just means most of the time,”

bold added for where he most clearly defines what he means.

Well, this "trickery" is needed only if you want to have the manual AC control on. But if you want HVAC on at auto - you already have the " keep climate on". I think most of the other stuff work too. I don't know what the exact setup was, but on our last trip we slept at the back, had the tablet hooked to the car and we ran a 2 hours movie through the bt speaker.
And we had inside lights on. I have to test it again, but it worked so I don't think we used any tricks. Then we put "keep climate on" and it kept it through the night

To do that you either need to leave the door open or have weight in the front seat. Otherwise the sound system turns off. This will keep sound on without doing that and also will keep the 12V/usb power

In 2016 they said that HW2 was level-5 capable and that you'd be able to summon your car from across the continent.

When did they say that? I remember them saying that the car had all the hardware that it needed for full self driving, and that if they needed a faster computer, it would be possible to do so. I don't remember them suggesting that the computer itself was guaranteed to be fast enough for FSD.

When did they say that? I remember them saying that the car had all the hardware that it needed for full self driving, and that if they needed a faster computer, it would be possible to do so. I don't remember them suggesting that the computer itself was guaranteed to be fast enough for FSD.
Oktober 2016. There was no mention of a "faster computer". That came later when they realized they had miscalculated.

All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

"We are excited to announce that, as of today, all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory – including Model 3 – will have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."

In fact, they still have that same claim on their web site to this day (note that the computer "with over 40 times the computing power of the previous generation" is actually HW2).

Autopilot

Last edited:
Keep drinking the Koolaid, my friend. :p If you actually listen to what Karpathy said at the investor event, it's pretty obvious how limited this so-called shadow mode really is.

I’m a principal software engineer/architect who’s developed ML solutions used on hundreds of millions of devices, and I study this space closely. There’s absolutely no basis for claiming Tesla’s shadow mode is “limited” - it’s literally the state of the art and leading how many (including some of our teams at Microsoft) have been approaching AI/ML feedback loops and “intelligent edge” solutions.

No Kool-Aid needed, I just know what I’m talking about and obviously you do not.

In any case, even you will probably agree that deploying some more visualizations on customer cars does nothing to further FSD development ...

It’s a demonstration of their progress and a good way to get early feedback from customers. Not really sure what you’re trying to say, but this is definitely work that accrues to FSD development.